ADVERTISEMENT

3 teams have kept UCLA in the 70's! 5 times!

redbudman

Junior
Apr 10, 2007
Texas A&M, Arizona twice and USC twice! I went back and watched our game with them in December in Rupp! Defensively playing in their first games 4 months ago our freshman (Especially BAM) our lost! Welsh and Leaf killed us! Our interior defense and defense as a hole is light years ahead! Have no idea how he gets them (Frosh) to buy in, but by March they have! And it is team defense that is the key! WILLIS HAS to step up like he has! I say U.K. 72-63!

Here's what bothers me about UCLA. Our interior defense has improved, among other reasons, by doubling ball handlers in the low post. Cal teams have done this in the past, but not as much as we're relying on it this year. Against most teams, we don't pay a large price for that tactic. But UCLA has five shooters on the floor at all times, excepting only when Anigbogu is subbed in for Leaf or Welsh. Our guards, and especially Derek Willis, who is usually the other half of the double team, must be prepared to move quickly off the help defense and back to their man to contest a jump shot, because UCLA is a team that makes them.

Texas A&M, Arizona twice and USC twice! I went back and watched our game with them in December in Rupp! Defensively playing in their first games 4 months ago our freshman (Especially BAM) our lost! Welsh and Leaf killed us! Our interior defense and defense as a hole is light years ahead! Have no idea how he gets them (Frosh) to buy in, but by March they have! And it is team defense that is the key! WILLIS HAS to step up like he has! I say U.K. 72-63!
Welsh has killed us the last two years. I'd like to see Cal solve that this time.

Welsh has killed us the last two years. I'd like to see Cal solve that this time.
Yes he has,with all the talk about Ball,Alford and Leaf Welsh is the guy that has done the most damage in the last two meetings.He is a bad match-up for us on the offensive end of the court.

I wish WG had progressed enough that we could play him and have his main priority to be in Welsh's face whenever he is in he game.

UCLA jacks up so many threes. Guard the three line, protect the ball, rebound and hit free throws.

Reactions: LordEgg
Well, Well, and Well!

Welsh was in foul trouble the entire game fortunately. Seemed like he only took 2 jumpers the whole game and went 1-2.

ADVERTISEMENT