ADVERTISEMENT

2014 HoopHall - What is it?

UKPhilly

Junior
Jan 19, 2005
Played on Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday weekend, this was the 13th year of this Classic and is probably the #1 showcase for high school players and teams. In 2014 they had 13 of the top 20 players of the Rivals 2014 top 100 and 5 of the top 21 Rivals 2015 top 100. This is not a "tournament" where winners advance like the City of Palms. They just play their one scheduled game (2 games sometimes) and that's it. Two days of local boys high school teams & national girls followed by 3 days featuring top ranked high schools. Of the top 10 teams at the time of the Classic, 6 of those teams were here. Seeing one game may not be a fair indicator of how good the team or players are, but seeing live is more revealing than watching on TV. I have never coached above 15-year olds in a Township league. I'm not a scout nor an expert. I just find it fun to put something down on paper so I can review it 2-3 years down the road to see how right or wrong I was. Definitely had some big time wrongs in my day ("Kobie needs to go to college before the NBA!" "Bobby Hurley is really good, but too small for D-1.") I came to this classic 4 years ago to see MKG & AD and I have returned every year since, plus went to the City of Palms in 2012. Massachusetts high schools play 4 quarters and have a 30-second shot clock and this Classic uses that clock. When two prep schools play each other, however, they play two 20-minute halves and use a 35 second shot clock. Usually quite a few D-1 coaches attend. Cal and Antigua were here this year for about an hour to see Findlay Prep's Rashad Vaughn. ESPNU usually televises 4 games on Monday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT