ADVERTISEMENT

2010-19 UK Has 2nd Most Elite 8s Ever By Any Program In A Decade

dlh331

All-SEC
Gold Member
Jan 4, 2003
IMO when any program reaches an Elite 8 they are serious contenders for a national title.

Most Elite 8s/decade All Time

1970-79 UCLA (8)
1990-99 Kentucky (7) and we were not eligible in 1990 and 1991
2010-19 Kentucky (7)
1960-69 UCLA (6)
1990-99 Duke (6)
1989-89 UNC (6)

No other program has more than 5 elite 8s
in any single decade

What Cal has done to bolster the modern resume of our program is his most significant accomplishment.

Imagine what the perceptions of the top programs would look like right now if he doesn't come here. Those "all your titles are ancient" arguments would carry a lot more weight if this had been a decade of Gillispie.

Instead, we've extended the all time wins lead, won more tournament games than anyone, stocked the league with great pros, and re established the brand.

And UCLA had to win, what, one or two games to get to the elite 8 back then?
And that game was always versus Weber State, followed by Long Beach. The tournament was arranged by geographic region. And only conference champs could go. There were virtually no power teams in the west then outside the PAC-8.

Kentucky was in the Mideast Region every year, which also included the Big Ten champion and power programs like Notre Dame, Marquette, Cincinnati, and so on.

So wait.. 5 years for UCLA they had to win 1 less game to be Elite 8.. and another 5 years, 2 less games?

Not even sure they should be included in this, If you didn't win 3 games to get to an Elite 8. In 1973, UCLA only needed to win 4 games to win the title. And they got a BYE to start, no less.

As far as I'm concerned, anything before 1985 should be categorized differently.

So wait.. 5 years for UCLA they had to win 1 less game to be Elite 8.. and another 5 years, 2 less games?

Not even sure they should be included in this, If you didn't win 3 games to get to an Elite 8. In 1973, UCLA only needed to win 4 games to win the title. And they got a BYE to start, no less.

As far as I'm concerned, anything before 1985 should be categorized differently.
You’re absolutely right. Great post, my friend.

Kentucky has by far the most EEs in history. Not even close.
Its 38 to 28 UK over the Cheats after the 2019 appearance:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.herosports.com/amp/college-basketball/most-elite-8-appearances-kentucky-north-carolina-kan
sas-ucla-duke-ohio-state-aiai

Kentucky has more EEs than Duke and U of L combined.
That’s a crazy stat right there. Yet, somehow, duke is college basketball. Now, I can’t quite figure that one out. Just more proof Kentucky is superior to duke. There’s really not much debate and never will be, IMO.

Reactions: uky8unc5
Number of Elite 8s for UK Coaches:

15 for Rupp (4 occurred when tourney only had 8 teams)
6 for Hall
1 for Sutton
5 for Pitino
4 for Smith
0 for BCG
7 for Calipari

For the 4 that occurred when it was only 8 teams.. what constitutes an "Elite 8"? Just getting in? Or if you win the whole thing, 3 wins, then that's an Elite 8?

For the 4 that occurred when it was only 8 teams.. what constitutes an "Elite 8"? Just getting in? Or if you win the whole thing, 3 wins, then that's an Elite 8?
In Defense of the Rupp years: back then, only the Conference Champ got into the NCAA tournament.

So only one team per conference.
Today...4 to 8 teams from SEC get in.

In the Old Days, the Regular Season served as the first 2 rounds of March Madness.

I just want to add this before the inevitable post saying “getting to the Elite Eight is nothing.”

You know how many times Indiana has managed it in the past 27 years? Once.

Especially in the days of the 64-plus team tournament, to me it reaching the Elite Eight has been the mark of a successful season.

I’m always good for a good Indiana bashing lol

Reactions: MdWIldcat55

Wait, wait, wait… lets set it at anything before 1978. I like that better.

Maybe the more astute folks here can help. Is there a better way to rank coaches than with win-loss records?
Well UCLA was really good all those years, but they got all the best players that Sam Gilbert could buy.

Wait, wait, wait… lets set it at anything before 1978. I like that better.

I'm trying to be impartial as best I can. I count all titles as something of value.. but anything after the tournament expanded to 64 teams just means more to me. It's certainly much more difficult to win a title since then.

I'm trying to be impartial as best I can. I count all titles as something of value.. but anything after the tournament expanded to 64 teams just means more to me. It's certainly much more difficult to win a title since then.

That is untrue. One loss has always ended a chance at a title. In 1949 UK had to win 3 games against AP #14, #4, and #2. Every game in those days was versus a conference champ or top independent.

Plus, it was much tougher to GET in the tourney. In 1950 UK was 2 time defending NCAA champ, ranked #3 and was not invited to the NCAAT.

A title in 1948 is every bit as meaningful as one in 2012. Only Duke and UNC fans argue differently.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT