ADVERTISEMENT

1st FBS Team Cancels Season

UConn recently rejoined the Big East. Pretty sure they’re the only DI FB school in that conference, which kinda makes them the odd duck. I have to agree; the lack of common conference opponents to play FB against made it impossible to schedule anybody.

Reactions: jpbky2
UConn recently rejoined the Big East. Pretty sure they’re the only DI FB school in that conference, which kinda makes them the odd duck. I have to agree; the lack of common conference opponents to play FB against made it impossible to schedule anybody.

Absolutely, UConn got lost in the shuffle in the conference realignment and their football program is bleeding money. I would say that it was a pretty easy decision for them.

Reactions: Blueaz
UConn was in desperate financial shape before Covid. They have already eliminated several scholarship sports, even some talk about them going down a level in football.

Reactions: vikingfer
Agree
They are probably the only FBS School that will save money by not playing

UConn was in desperate financial shape before Covid. They have already eliminated several scholarship sports, even some talk about them going down a level in football.
I mentioned a few weeks ago that my son plays college tennis at Xavier. UConn has recently announced that 2020-2021 will be the last season for them to have men’s tennis. I’m not sure if XU and UConn will even play a match this upcoming season - I doubt it.

Reactions: mrschwump
I mentioned a few weeks ago that my son plays college tennis at Xavier. UConn has recently announced that 2020-2021 will be the last season for them to have men’s tennis. I’m not sure if XU and UConn will even play a match this upcoming season - I doubt it.
I’m sorry for your son.

To me, this looks like they're going to point to COVID but really they just don't want to play b/c scheduling is too tough.

To me, this looks like they're going to point to COVID but really they just don't want to play b/c scheduling is too tough.

They've already lost 4 games to Covid scheduling with two B1G, one SEC and 1 FCS opponent canceling, and most likely games against UVA and UNCheats will also be canceled as well. That just leaves them with 6 games. Seems like just the other day that UK was playing their upstart program, but it's been 21 years, and it doesn't seem that long ago that they were in the Fiesta Bowl as the Big Deceased conference champ. I suppose they will drop down to the FCS level. It's tough to play in the FBS when you're in a mid-major conference, let alone as an independent in a football recruiting wasteland like the middle of nowhere in New England.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
Football in the south is almost close to religion, the SEC would be among the last to do it if it come to that Hopefully covid 19 will get weaker and be conquered, there are several things in place to try to keep the spread down. I don't know if I could make it through the fall without college football.

Just another thing to show how bogus those "major" bowl bids for the Big East. This program went to the Fiesta Bowl.

I read where UConn lost 13 million last year playing football. A few years ago I was driving on I-40 west towards Knoxville when I passed a semi hauling the UConn football equipment. I looked later that evening at where they were playing, and they were at SMU. I can't begin to guess how much money it costs to send your equipment, players, coaching staff and support staff from Storrs to Dallas and pay for lodging and food.

Lets face it. There's not going to be CFB this fall. Maybe by spring if they get a vaccine operational.

Begs the question of why even bother to play sports if it going to cost the University >$40M a year to do so?
I think we are about to get the answer to that question. Especially if the PAC 12 players get their way. Pro sports will have to find a new minor league because their current one won't exist.

Reactions: Tskware
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT