ADVERTISEMENT

1958 NCAA Championship

I have 1 of the 2 nets from this game, worn around Hatton's neck after cutting it down (obtained from an NBA Hall of Fame auction many years ago). Probably the crown jewel of my UK memorabilia collection!
WHAT? That's an amazing piece of memorabilia. I hope you have a certificate of authenticity.

Was this the team referred to as the fiddlin' five?
Yes! During an interview a sports writer had with Rupp just before the beginning of the 57-58 season Rupp said" this team was long on experience but short on talent I don't have any accomplished violinist only a bunch of fiddlers." Thus the "fiddling five"! He went on to say since we were short on talent I decided to run them so you are going to see a lot of fast break offense from this team. This is my favorite wildcat team of all time! Five of the top six players were from Ky. Johnny Cox, John Crigler, Vernon Hatton, Adrian Smith and 6th man Don Mills were all Kentuckians. Only Ed Beck, the starting center, was from out of state. Ed was from Ft Valley, Ga. I was fortunate enough to get to meet Johnny Cox, who was a friend of my cousin Dr Herb Green, a Lexington dentist. I spent about 10 days on a Caribbean cruise with John Crigler and his family in the early 2000's. They were both very nice down to earth people. I loved that team!

This is my favorite UK team of all time also. Still have an old 8x10 glossy of the team in my den.
There were only 4 games to win in the NCAA tourney at the time & the Cats got some breaks on the draw and played all 4 in Freedom Hall.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
8w0plm.jpg

I believe this is the celebration from that game.

This 1958 NCAA Championship game was played on Saturday, March 22, 1958 at Freedom Hall in Louisville. The finals of the 1958 Kentucky State High School Basketball Championship (the original "Sweet Sixteen") was played on the same night, at Memorial Coliseum in Lexington. I attended that State Tournament, including the Championship Game in which St. X beat Daviess County for the title. I have vivid memories that after the U.K. game was over, but before the State Tournament game had ended, a group of U.K. students paraded a home-made banner (made out of a white bed sheet) through the crowd at the State Tournament game proclaiming the U.K. victory over Seattle for the NCAA National Championship.
I remember it like it was yesterday. I was 11 years old.
Ah, yes ... precious memories ! ! !

Reactions: ColonelCat
This is my favorite UK team of all time also. Still have an old 8x10 glossy of the team in my den.
There were only 4 games to win in the NCAA tourney at the time & the Cats got some breaks on the draw and played all 4 in Freedom Hall.
Actually, our 1st 2 games in the 1958 NCAAT was in Memorial Coliseum, and the 2 Final 4 games were in Freedom Hall.

This 1958 NCAA Championship game was played on Saturday, March 22, 1958 at Freedom Hall in Louisville. The finals of the 1958 Kentucky State High School Basketball Championship (the original "Sweet Sixteen") was played on the same night, at Memorial Coliseum in Lexington. I attended that State Tournament, including the Championship Game in which St. X beat Daviess County for the title. I have vivid memories that after the U.K. game was over, but before the State Tournament game had ended, a group of U.K. students paraded a home-made banner (made out of a white bed sheet) through the crowd at the State Tournament game proclaiming the U.K. victory over Seattle for the NCAA National Championship.
I remember it like it was yesterday. I was 11 years old.
Ah, yes ... precious memories ! ! !
I also was at the state title game and rememfer when it was over like you said, they announced that UK had won the National Championship. Wow, what a night, UK and St X both winning their respective tournaments. Jim McDonald, a real good friend, was on that X team and was given a scholarship to UK. 1 question, :where's the 3 point line ? I know it didn't start until later on but it's noteable in it's absence.

I also was at the state title game and rememfer when it was over like you said, they announced that UK had won the National Championship. Wow, what a night, UK and St X both winning their respective tournaments. Jim McDonald, a real good friend, was on that X team and was given a scholarship to UK. 1 question, :where's the 3 point line ? I know it didn't start until later on but it's noteable in it's absence.
NCAA 3 pointer started in 1987.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT