#1 NCAAT wins with 31
#1 Sweet 16s with 8
#1 Elite 8s with 7
#1 Final 4s with 4
#1 (tied) Title games with 2
#4 (tied) NCAA titles with 1

**2000-2009 decade we were #19
And people hate his one and done philosophy smdh

Can someone break this down into the last 5 seasons for Cal? Or better yet, can someone break this down from 2012-13 to this season to see how we compare to other schools?

Simply no argument:

#3 overall wins with 330
#3 Regular Season Conference Titles with 6
#2 Conference Tourney Titles with 6
#1 NCAAT wins with 31
#1 Sweet 16s with 8
#1 Elite 8s with 7
#1 Final 4s with 4
#1 (tied) Title games with 2
#4 (tied) NCAA titles with 1

**2000-2009 decade we were #19

I don't think it's accurate to say there's "simply no argument." In this decade, Cal has one title but Carolina, Nova and Duke all have two. Don't know about everyone else, but I'd prefer to have fewer wins and two titles.

I'm not disparaging Cal at all. If you think so, fine. I'm must saying, yes, an argument can be made for other programs/coaches.

Reactions: KFuqua
I don't think it's accurate to say there's "simply no argument." In this decade, Cal has one title but Carolina, Nova and Duke all have two. Don't know about everyone else, but I'd prefer to have fewer wins and two titles.

I'm not disparaging Cal at all. If you think so, fine. I'm must saying, yes, an argument can be made for other programs/coaches.
Yeah, but if Cal got their treatment, he would have four or five. That’s the issue.

UNC has 1 title this decade, UConn has 2 with 2 different coaches

LOL “we”?! [roll]
Afraid of what the numbers might show? We know Cal was without question the best coach in the game during his few seasons here but how does he compare to other coaches since 2012? You know, it is kind of hard to claim greatness when watching the likes of Villanova and Virginia win championships while Cal is losing to undermanned Kansas State and Auburn squads.

Reactions: zannmann
Afraid of what the numbers might show? We know Cal was without question the best coach in the game during his few seasons here but how does he compare to other coaches since 2012? You know, it is kind of hard to claim greatness when watching the likes of Villanova and Virginia win championships while Cal is losing to undermanned Kansas State and Auburn squads.
LOL look at the rest of Virginia’s and Villanova’s body of work outside of those titles. Both have had multiple early exits from the tournament. Hell, Virginia is the only 1 seed to ever lose to a 16. Not to mention, both those teams get a friendly whistle when UK gets the exact opposite of that. Cal is much more consistent than both Bennett and Wright, hands down.

EDIT: So, let’s see those “numbers” you were going on about.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Yes sir; Gonzaga has 334 and Kansas has 332...until the NCAA hammer falls on them
unfortunate. my simple response to any over the top criticism has been - more wins than any other coach since he's been here, more tournament wins.

it's a legitimate debate. But I don't think people usually frame it the right way. What they are thinking of is UK's results for the last 11 years, plus one more title.

The meaningful comparison is to compare Carolina's record, Nova's record and Duke's record to Kentucky's. Jay Wright has two titles, and the other 8 years he didn't make it out of the opening weekend. Truly feast or famine, with a whole lot more starving than feasting. And the people who say, I'd be fine with that if we had 2 titles instead of 1 are not being honest, IMO. I've seen this board after a loss. Say we win a title in year 2 and another title in year 5. You're telling me people would be cool and groovy with losing in round 1 or 2 in years 6-10?

No freakin' way.

Reactions: RunninRichie
A way to look at this is that the first six years, Calipari was the overwhelming top coach in the country and Kentucky was obviously the overwhelming number one program in the country.

From 2016-20 I think it is fair to say Kentucky is in the top five or six programs in the country.

BUT, overall for the last 11 years Kentucky is clearly the number one overall program. Greatness is dictated by more than just titles.

UConn has two titles to Kentucky’s one in this decade. Does anyone really think they have a better program the last 11 years than Kentucky’s? That would be laughable

Here comes the excuses. Are you seriously going to use recruiting as the reason recent have underachieved?

Glad some of you are ecstatic with recent results. I don't want another coach but when you have the highest paid coach bringing in the best recruiting classes every season, I personally expect more. Recruiting rankings since 2013:

2012: #1
2013: #1
2014: #2
2015: #1
2016: #2
2017: #2
2018: #2
2019: #2

Guess we would really be in trouble if schools like Kansas State or Auburn start bringing in top 3 classes every season!

Keep in mind that Carolina cheated to win theirs and they should have been vacated. They can't be mentioned without the *.

Reactions: HexxenHammer

Yeah....titles kinda are the issue.

so you’d prefer to not be the all-time winningest team?

A way to look at this is that the first six years, Calipari was the overwhelming top coach in the country and Kentucky was obviously the overwhelming number one program in the country.

From 2016-20 I think it is fair to say Kentucky is in the top five or six programs in the country.

BUT, overall for the last 11 years Kentucky is clearly the number one overall program. Greatness is dictated by more than just titles.

UConn has two titles to Kentucky’s one in this decade. Does anyone really think they have a better program the last 11 years than Kentucky’s? That would be laughable

By many accounts 2016 commenced the rampant cheating that came to a head in 2019.

And people hate his one and done philosophy smdh

I don’t “hate” it. I get it. We have to try and get the best of the best but people ARE tired of the roster turnover every year (understandably) and tired of the glamorization and professionalization of college basketball. Cal is the best thing that could have happened to UK. Hope he retires here but the state of college basketball as a whole is becoming very meh.

Here, I am bored and depressed with no bball. I am not putting Gonzaga in this, don't feel like doing another.

Counting this season...past 5 years. Absolutely crazy that UK and Duke have almost identical results, difference is ONE win.

Traditional Bluebloods

UK
140-39, 78% over past 5 seasons which includes 2 EE appearances 3 Sweet 16 and 1 2nd round exit.

DUKE
139-40, 77% over past 5 seasons which includes 2 EE appearances 3 Sweet 16 and 1 2nd round exit.

UNC
135-50, 73% over past 5 seasons which includes 1 Title, 2 FF, 2EE, 1 2nd round exit (and they weren't making tourney this year).

KANSAS
149-31, 82% over past 5 seasons which includes 1 FF, 3 EE, 1 2nd round exit (and one soon to be probation).

Non-Traditional Blue Blood Powers

VILLANOVA
153-30, 83% over past 5 seasons which includes 2
Titles, 2 FF and 2 2nd round exits.

VIRGINIA
141-42, 77% over past 5 seasons which includes 1 Title, 1 FF, 1 EE, 1 2nd round exit and 1 loss equating to greatest upset in history of tournament

Last edited:
Here comes the excuses. Are you seriously going to use recruiting as the reason recent have underachieved?

Glad some of you are ecstatic with recent results. I don't want another coach but when you have the highest paid coach bringing in the best recruiting classes every season, I personally expect more. Recruiting rankings since 2013:

2012: #1
2013: #1
2014: #2
2015: #1
2016: #2
2017: #2
2018: #2
2019: #2

Guess we would really be in trouble if schools like Kansas State or Auburn start bringing in top 3 classes every season!
K has with very little results.

Let me ask this and please be honest...

Would you rather have Calipari's record or Coach K's record (Two Titles) since Cal arrived here?

I don’t “hate” it. I get it. We have to try and get the best of the best but people ARE tired of the roster turnover every year (understandably) and tired of the glamorization and professionalization of college basketball. Cal is the best thing that could have happened to UK. Hope he retires here but the state of college basketball as a whole is becoming very meh.
Im no fan of it, but when you get top 2 classes every year, your going to win a lot of games. You wont win titles though

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT