ADVERTISEMENT

103 points allowed on our own home court

What gets me is that Cal has coached some truly great defensive teams in the past (see 2012 and 2015), and it once seemed like D was a top priority for him. Yeah, he took heat for how simplistic he was defensively. …refusing to zone or press and only playing straight man to man …but it was really intense man to man. But even that’s no longer the case in recent years.

What happened to defensive bulldogs like Liggins, Teague, MKG, Miller, etc.? The dudes they guarded struggled just to find a couple inches of breathing space. Nobody commits to D like that on our recent teams.

Does Cal no longer recruit those guys or does he just no longer teach it?

What gets me is that Cal has coached some truly great defensive teams in the past (see 2012 and 2015), and it once seemed like D was a top priority for him. Yeah, he took heat for how simplistic he was defensively. …refusing to zone or press and only playing straight man to man …but it was really intense man to man. But even that’s no longer the case in recent years.

What happened to defensive bulldogs like Liggins, Teague, MKG, Miller, etc.? The dudes they guarded struggled just to find a couple inches of breathing space. Nobody commits to D like that on our recent teams.

Does Cal no longer recruit those guys or does he just no longer teach it?
I think it's a case of our guys not wanting to invest defensively.

It might be why Calipari is bringing in Billy Richmond, who has that Liggins-level vibe to him.

Even still, it's strange that with all the players we have on the current roster, pretty much none of them have bought in defensively except for Ugo.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Im scratching my head at that failed alley oop to bradshaw. The ball goes above the rim and it looked like he fell and we get a turnover.

Too many lineup changes to get everyone on the same page. “Injuries” and having too many guys that need minutes but not quite enough to platoon has made this a mess. He has to sit guys out that have hangnails to try and shorten the rotation.

Reactions: FitchandMurray29
Im scratching my head at that failed alley oop to bradshaw. The ball goes above the rim and it looked like he fell and we get a turnover.
Bradshaw can’t jump, watch the rebounds he did get, he stands flat footed. He is not good, he averaged only 12pts a game in high school. He is worse than Jared Carter

Yet he's 7'2"....We should've just attempted a layup. I think reed did the pass, he should've just attempted a layup and had bradshaw ready to rebound the other side if the ball did not go in.

In our 5 home games so far in 2024 we are averaging giving up 49.8 points(round to 50) in the second half alone. This sorry team can’t even use the energy from the crowd to help get an occasional stop.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT