ADVERTISEMENT

1 player away: Diallo

I will be very upset if we miss on Johnson. Those guys don't come around often and UK needs what he brings. 6'8/6'9 crafty shooter with ACC experience. With THIS kind of team around him he'd be unbelievable. If we sign Johnson, Diallo returns, and Bamba commits, we should win the championship. Will we don't know. But we should.

0 chance uk gets all 3.

Reactions: Titles1
Cal has to take some of these years wen we're stacked. The youth excuse aside.

If we land Bamba and Diallo + Johnson we are one of those teams. Not sure how much more people want. Jordan?

And lol at Carolina in '12. Don't buy any of that UK was the leader of the pack.

We aren't as stacked as people seem to think. A bunch of second-tier recruits in a down crop of prospects isn't stacked, especially not to the point that we're the prohibitive favorite. We were preseason number one in '13 with a "great class" of Nerlens, Archie, Poythress and Willie plus Julius Mays. It isn't that simple.

Saying Carolina wasn't the favorite in '12 is revisionist history. *We* knew we were going to be good, but that early season battle had Carolina favored and we opened a lot of eyes that day. We were a contender, but not a team anyone thought *should* have won it.

We aren't as stacked as people seem to think. A bunch of second-tier recruits in a down crop of prospects isn't stacked, especially not to the point that we're the prohibitive favorite. We were preseason number one in '13 with a "great class" of Nerlens, Archie, Poythress and Willie plus Julius Mays. It isn't that simple.

Saying Carolina wasn't the favorite in '12 is revisionist history. *We* knew we were going to be good, but that early season battle had Carolina favored and we opened a lot of eyes that day. We were a contender, but not a team anyone thought *should* have won it.

Carolina was espn propoganda. UK was by far the leader that year. Not only did we own the tournament, we beat UNC head to head. Even on paper at the time I called BS. It's not revisionist history at all.

That '13 team is a bad comparison. Willie was extremely raw and a 4 star. Goodwin had no ability to hit from the floor, mays wasn't UK material etc. this team has a ton of talent and mobility. If we add those three, or even two of those three, we should win it. I think people are underselling how good this team will be.

Carolina was espn propoganda. UK was by far the leader that year. Not only did we own the tournament, we beat UNC head to head. Even on paper at the time I called BS. It's not revisionist history at all.

That '13 team is a bad comparison. Willie was extremely raw and a 4 star. Goodwin had no ability to hit from the floor, mays wasn't UK material etc. this team has a ton of talent and mobility. If we add those three, or even two of those three, we should win it. I think people are underselling how good this team will be.

SGA and Richards are raw. Vanderbilt and Diallo have no ability to hit from the floor. I'm just saying that at the time, "most people" thought UK was the best team in the country to start the season and we ended up in the NIT. With a similarly weak recruiting crop, relying on all freshmen is a major uncertainty.

Regardless, it's foolish to say a team we've never seen play "should" win the NCAA title. Not every year has team good enough that they should win it, because it's so random and unpredictable that the field is almost always a clear favorite, except in rare cases where a team is loaded and experienced.

92, 99 and '17 Duke, '15 Kentucky, '91 UNLV, '09 Carolina. Those type of teams "should" win it, and even then, they often don't.

So to act like this year would somehow be a failure if a group we've never seen play, with virtually no returning experience, doesn't win the NCAA title, is ridiculous, and you might as well put a stop to all that nonsense before the season even starts. Can they win it? Sure. Can a dozen or so other teams? Sure. The closest to "should" is probably Michigan State or Arizona, and even they aren't particularly strong.

SGA and Richards are raw. Vanderbilt and Diallo have no ability to hit from the floor. I'm just saying that at the time, "most people" thought UK was the best team in the country to start the season and we ended up in the NIT. With a similarly weak recruiting crop, relying on all freshmen is a major uncertainty.

Regardless, it's foolish to say a team we've never seen play "should" win the NCAA title. Not every year has team good enough that they should win it, because it's so random and unpredictable that the field is almost always a clear favorite, except in rare cases where a team is loaded and experienced.

92, 99 and '17 Duke, '15 Kentucky, '91 UNLV, '09 Carolina. Those type of teams "should" win it, and even then, they often don't.

So to act like this year would somehow be a failure if a group we've never seen play, with virtually no returning experience, doesn't win the NCAA title, is ridiculous, and you might as well put a stop to all that nonsense before the season even starts. Can they win it? Sure. Can a dozen or so other teams? Sure. The closest to "should" is probably Michigan State or Arizona, and even they aren't particularly strong.

I don't think they'd be a failure If they don't win it, just another missed opportunity. Roy Williams has won 3 titles in 13 years. Let's not act like Cal is just a victim of circumstances and it can't be done. He's putting together the best teams as he sees them and he needs to bring a few home with these types of players. This year we'll be as good as any team he's had generally speaking, if we add Bamba and Diallo ( and Johnson too if happens).

I personally watched college basketball during those teams you mentioned. None of them were a lock, there were too many good teams to call it then. It is not that way right now.

Imo the '15 team was overhyped. They had some weaknesses that depth covered throughout the season. On top of being so vanilla we were bound to get beat, but I digress. Although, I felt that way during the season as well.

I think people are gearing up the excuse train personally. Just in case.

There are no excuses for Cal. You're putting a fantastic product on the floor that you yourself are designing. A Joe B Hall legacy won't cut it. And excuses don't matter.

You and I will not write the historical record behind Cal at UK. We keep stacking these guys like we are without bringing home some ships and it's gonna hurt him. We need this one, and I think we can.

Reactions: Titles1
I don't think they'd be a failure If they don't win it, just another missed opportunity. Roy Williams has won 3 titles in 13 years. Let's not act like Cal is just a victim of circumstances and it can't be done. He's putting together the best teams as he sees them and he needs to bring a few home with these types of players. This year we'll be as good as any team he's had generally speaking, if we add Bamba and Diallo ( and Johnson too if happens).

I personally watched college basketball during those teams you mentioned. None of them were a lock, there were too many good teams to call it then. It is not that way right now.

Imo the '15 team was overhyped. They had some weaknesses that depth covered throughout the season. On top of being so vanilla we were bound to get beat, but I digress. Although, I felt that way during the season as well.

I think people are gearing up the excuse train personally. Just in case.

There are no excuses for Cal. You're putting a fantastic product on the floor that you yourself are designing. A Joe B Hall legacy won't cut it. And excuses don't matter.

You and I will not write the historical record behind Cal at UK. We keep stacking these guys like we are without bringing home some ships and it's gonna hurt him. We need this one, and I think we can.

We absolutely can. I'm just saying I won't view this year as one that we were so talented relative to the competition that to not win it was letting one slip away.

I think this is probably Cal's 5th best team here. If someone wants to take a lazy approach and say he had ____ McD's AAs and should have won it, as if having Wall is the same as having Quade Green, then they made up their mind about Cal a long time ago and I'm not particularly worried about how they remember him. Nor is he, I bet.

We had that ONE piece you speak of this year but he was sitting on the bench not wanting to play.

Good grief. Give it up already. Diallo wasn't going to stop Kennedy Meeks from getting a thousand offensive rebounds. If we were one piece away, it was Jarrett Allen or Marcus Lee.

We absolutely can. I'm just saying I won't view this year as one that we were so talented relative to the competition that to not win it was letting one slip away.

I think this is probably Cal's 5th best team here. If someone wants to take a lazy approach and say he had ____ McD's AAs and should have won it, as if having Wall is the same as having Quade Green, then they made up their mind about Cal a long time ago and I'm not particularly worried about how they remember him. Nor is he, I bet.

5th beat team? I think we're stacked. I think Green is underrated badly. I think Vanderbilt is underrated badly. Bamba is one of the better bigs I've seen in a while on the defensive end. Knox should be top 5 and I think he's a beast.

I guess I don't buy the notion that this class is bad. I think the whole class is underrated. Don't really understand why it gets hammered so bad.

On paper I'm thinking 3rd or 4th best team here, and generally speaking I think it could be top 2 before they leave. Right now I'd go

1. 2012
2. 2010
3. 2015
4. 2018

Knox at the #2 has kind of made me "meh" on Diallo. Like Ivan says.. If he goes, he goes.

It's Bamba who I want now. Beef down low with Bamba/Richards.. Wing threats with Knox/Gabriel/Washington/Vanderbilt.. PG play with Green/Shai..

We're interchangeable like Legos..

Good grief. Give it up already. Diallo wasn't going to stop Kennedy Meeks from getting a thousand offensive rebounds. If we were one piece away, it was Jarrett Allen or Marcus Lee.

Forgive me for my message board blasphemy concerning Diallo.

He couldve helped the team this season. He didn't want to play. It is what it is. Make excuses for him all you want.

What would it help with? There is no problem EXCEPT you being rude by politly telling me to sut up. You KNOW he wasnt ready! Jeff allow me to repay you kindness back.

Stay in Your lane, mind YOUR buisness, im not hurting anyone, nor was i bothering anyone. If you have a problem with me, wich clearly you do for God knows why please dont hesitate to hit that ignore button. Thanks, hand have a great day.
You bother a lot of people. We'd all prefer if you just went away, but I assume we'll have to settle for putting you on ignore.

Forgive me for my message board blasphemy concerning Diallo.

He couldve helped the team this season. He didn't want to play. It is what it is. Make excuses for him all you want.
He did help the team, as a practice player.

Do you think he was the difference this year? If yes, your expectations are out of whack. If no, why keep bringing it up?

You bother a lot of people. We'd all prefer if you just went away, but I assume we'll have to settle for putting you on ignore.
Exactly what I'm talking about, I never bothered you, but you felt the need to run your mouth for no reason to me. Don't start none won't be none period.

Do you think he was the difference this year? If yes, your expectations are out of whack. If no, why keep bringing it up?

That's just sad. You're supposed to be a UK fan who wants UK in the best position possible and you say that? Of course diallo playing this year could have helped. The point is he didn't, and therefore he didn't help. What's wrong with saying he should have played for the programs sake if he bolts?

Nothing.

Last edited:

Was the difference?, or could've made a difference?

I thought I made it perfectly clear in the post you just responded to. He could've MADE a difference.

And really?! The practice player angle? C'mon man.

Reactions: morgousky
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT