ADVERTISEMENT

“Just returned from the game” thread.

Gromcat

All-American
Jun 29, 2021
Because of an extremely nice gentleman, I had excellent seats to the Mississippi State game. Wanted to share some observations hang in there for a second.

First, I’m never amazed at how nice Lexington people are and how clean the city is compared to most. Those of you from the area are very lucky to have it. No one offered to sell me a drug at all, which is a big difference from Tennessee.

Rupp looks fantastic and as someone who’s traveled around and been to many arenas (even blue bloods), we should be considered the standard. It blows the Dead Dome in Chapel Hill completely away. I think it stayed relatively loud too, given that this was a 9:00 Tuesday night game against Miss St. In going just about every year and to away games I feel the bashing of Rupp by some members of BBN is wildly overplayed. If Rupp is bad to you then you should see some of the others.

Cal just absolutely loses his mind on the sideline. So many times he just assumes the bowel push posture and turns beat red. It’s good to see honestly. I sometimes forget and picture him like a new character on Harold, Kumar, and Cal go to White Castle.

After the game Oscar and Jai came out. Honestly these guys are so nice it’s unreal. Oscar is one of the nicest players I’ve ever conversed with and there’s a been a lot of nice players. I love the ones that ignore security and tell them the fans can do whatever. He signed everything given, took pictures, talked. And as late as this was I was shocked. Got some autos and pictures with the kids. Jai was also incredibly kind and I can tell there’s a reason why he’s so popular on the recruiting trail. He just strikes me as that guy you want to be around. He signed and took pics with anyone who asked, he’d even walk over from a distance. Very chatty too, just a different feel than many other experiences with athletes and teams in general.

Concession Confessions: The BBQ sandwich. Total stoners style BBQ, but man. Who the hell puts pickles on fake BBQ. I’ve never seen pickles on BBQ anyway, very odd situation @RunninRichie whats goin on here? Hunt brothers pizza I mean man nah. Thin crust hunts maybe but nah. Wanted to understand this soft serve situation but I’m not gonna serve a life sentence standing and waiting on ice cream.

Wish Grady would make a decision on whether he’s gonna be Jodie Meeks or Josh Carrier. Brooks is seriously going to break one of his legs eventually man they’re skinny. Perry Stevenson / Wenyen Gabriel 3rd leg vibes skinny. Wheeler is scarier in person than from the couch. But a very fun team to watch. Always liked the grinder teams even though you lose a few years with the grandkids.

Bought a new jump out Keychain.

**edit there’s no such thing as carrying anymore. Both at Vandy and now this, there’s definitely no rule against palming in CBB in 2022.

Last edited:
Because of an extremely nice gentleman, I had excellent seats to the Mississippi State game. Wanted to share some observations hang in there for a second.

First, I’m never amazed at how nice Lexington people are and how clean the city is compared to most. Those of you from the area are very lucky to have it. No one offered to sell me a drug at all, which is a big difference from Tennessee.

Rupp looks fantastic and as someone who’s traveled around and been to many arenas (even blue bloods), we should be considered the standard. It blows the Dead Dome in Chapel Hill completely away. I think it stayed relatively loud too, given that this was a 9:00 Tuesday night game against Miss St. In going just about every year and to away games I feel the bashing of Rupp by some members of BBN is wildly overplayed. If Rupp is bad to you then you should see some of the others.

Cal just absolutely loses his mind on the sideline. So many times he just assumes the bowel push posture and turns beat red. It’s good to see honestly. I sometimes forget and picture him like a new character on Harold, Kumar, and Cal go to White Castle.

After the game Oscar and Jai came out. Honestly these guys are so nice it’s unreal. Oscar is one of the nicest players I’ve ever conversed with and there’s a been a lot of nice players. I love the ones that ignore security and tell them the fans can do whatever. He signed everything given, took pictures, talked. And as late as this was I was shocked. Got some autos and pictures with the kids. Jai was also incredibly kind and I can tell there’s a reason why he’s so popular on the recruiting trail. He just strikes me as that guy you want to be around. He signed and took pics with anyone who asked, he’d even walk over from a distance. Very chatty too, just a different feel than many other experiences with athletes and teams in general.

Concession Confessions: The BBQ sandwich. Total stoners style BBQ, but man. Who the hell puts pickles on fake BBQ. I’ve never seen pickles on BBQ anyway, very odd situation @RunninRichie whats goin on here? Hunt brothers pizza I mean man nah. Thin crust hunts maybe but nah. Wanted to understand this soft serve situation but I’m not gonna serve a life sentence standing and waiting on ice cream.

Wish Grady would make a decision on whether he’s gonna be Jodie Meeks or Josh Carrier. Brooks is seriously going to break one of his legs eventually man they’re skinny. Perry Stevenson / Wenyen Gabriel 3rd leg vibes skinny. Wheeler is scarier in person than from the couch. But a very fun team to watch. Always liked the grinder teams even though you lose a few years with the grandkids.

**edit there’s no such thing as carrying anymore. Both at Vandy and now this, there’s definitely no rule against palming in CBB in 2022.
Nice write up. Enjoyed it and appreciate your input.

Thanks for the write up, M. It really sends me back there. After a long stint hitting on Slavic women, I am finally kicking Ukraine to the curb and moving back to the States Saturday. Planning on spending a lot of time in Lex this Spring if I can. I used to grab scalper tickets all the time for 10 bucks apiece. Don’t know if that scene still exists since Covid. But this is sure making me hope it does.

How are you scoring tickets living in Memphis? Hook a fellow UK brother up if you run across any more ticket offers. Pretty good drive for the game, glad we got the win and you had a good experience.

Reactions: Gromcat

Pickles and onions are the best way to eat a bbq sammy.

So, did you notice any post-game shenanigans in the handshake line?

Rupp concessions are warmed garbage...
Truth. Can’t even remember the last time I ate anything at Rupp. I’m spoiled going to NBA games now where they do have some really good food. Last Sixers game we had Shake Shack burgers, OMG were they good.

Dang @Gromcat , wish I knew you were going to be there. I was there as well, but sadly, my friend doesn't have the connections, or money that your friend apparently has.
My seats were pretty far north of yours, they had to pump light up to us we were so high.
I couldn't tell if the guy dunking the ball was Oscar or Zan.
Yeah, Rupp Arena looked great though. It'll be better once construction is done.

Last edited:
So, did you notice any post-game shenanigans in the handshake line?

I did notice Calipari and Howland being super chatty it seemed as they were pounding bows. Haven’t heard much about the line what’s that about?

Pics of the keychain or it never happened ;)

CA524-A0-C-A5-AF-4-E14-AB40-54-B23689-E1-F7.png

How are you scoring tickets living in Memphis? Hook a fellow UK brother up if you run across any more ticket offers. Pretty good drive for the game, glad we got the win and you had a good experience.

Yea I’ve been making that drive for years so it’s not really an issue. Know a lot of people man uncles UK alumni but these tickets are coming from another level. If I come across any I’ll let you know.

It’s looking like I’ll be attending UK for grad in a hybrid format so I’ll be having to make this drive quite a bit.

Rupp concessions are warmed garbage...
I think they are good at the basics. Had a couple hot dogs with mustard at the High Point game and they were spot on. Hard to mess up a pretzel or popcorn as well. That's concession food to me. I rarely ever go for the higher end stuff at a ballgame. But I fault no one who does.

@Gromcat Did you see anything regarding the handshake line after the game? I just saw it on TV and it looked strange. Camera just showed UK players looking like there was something going on at NSU's end and nobody shook hands.

Reactions: RunninRichie

Dude!!!! I mean what the hell? If you want barbecue, go to Owensboro. Old Hickory or the buffet at Moonlight. Don’t buy a sandwich. Get some barbecue and buns and stack that bad boy up proper.

They play basketball in Lexington. They don’t have time for barbecue.

Anything about how Shaedon was with the team or during warm-ups?

I watched him from behind the UK bench and the only think I took away was he’s awfully quiet. Didn’t move much, no excitement. Guess it’s to be expected.

This made the whole trip worth it. Didn’t blur the face because of you guys but after what happened to backpacks kid years ago I’m careful. This guy is so awesome it’s hard to describe.

448-FE161-4-B54-4-DB2-9-C79-6-E594-A7-C80-F4.jpg

1-B6-C7596-A154-440-C-934-E-67-C0-F15-C0-BA4.jpg

Last edited:
@Gromcat Did you see anything regarding the handshake line after the game? I just saw it on TV and it looked strange. Camera just showed UK players looking like there was something going on at NSU's end and nobody shook hands.

Yea I’m seeing where something might have happened. I was actually watching the handshake line and did notice assistants pointing toward Mississippi state walking away. Calipari and Howland did seem really friendly but Cal pointed something out to Howland as the Mississippi state players were walking away and Howland turned to look and shook his head “got it” or something.

I do know number 1 on MSU was talking mad shit. Didn’t look enough to know exactly why or if that was the issue. Didn’t realize what I was looking at until I posted this thread and people brought it to my attention.

damn Memphis to Lexington is a trip

and here I thought I was far when I go to Lexington from Charleston WV lol

I was actually coming from about a half hour north of Memphis but still a drive. I’ll be making this trip to live the dream of going to college at UK. I’ll be driving once per week to seminar. Lol. I know, but it’s a dream that I thought was dead and turns out it wasn’t. I can make this drive to get a grad degree from UK. It’s only a year.

Probbaly in over my head.

I was actually coming from about a half hour north of Memphis but still a drive. I’ll be making this trip to live the dream of going to college at UK. I’ll be driving once per week to seminar. Lol. I know, but it’s a dream that I thought was dead and turns out it wasn’t. I can make this drive to get a grad degree from UK. It’s only a year.

That's great.

Long drive but it'll be worth it when you get the grad degree. Good luck.

Good for you. I did the same thing from Owensboro. It was a drive, but nothing compared to yours. Good luck.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT