ADVERTISEMENT

Your interest in sports

I love boxing as well. I think the thing that hurts boxing the most with today's potential fans is having a dozen belts and governing bodies for a dozen different weight classes. If they streamlined and simplified that I think the would have a lot more casual fans at least. I'll personally always prefer the sweet science to MMA.
Agree also every decent match is ppv and I’m not dropping a hundred every Saturday night I will take the wife out

In this exact order:

UK in all sports
USA women’s and men’s Soccer Teams
FC Cincinnati

That’s where all my sports end at these days I don’t like pro sports anymore other than the soccer teams!

Reactions: BBUK and IL Wildcat
Through the miracle of the internet and streaming services, I'm watching as much or more sports now as I ever have. I will say that as I have gotten older, I don't let the outcome of games affect my mood or sense of worth. If my team loses, I'm over it in a few minutes and life goes on.

Sports I watch in person -

* High school football - Counting scrimmages and playoffs, we'll watch 20+ games a year in person. Still nothing like Friday (and sometimes Thursday) Night Lights across the Southeast. It's a big hobby for us, going to different towns and hitting up some good hole in the wall places to eat while watching some good football.

* Minor League Baseball - Love going on a summer evening, getting some good seats in the home plate area, having a beer or three to go with some loaded nachos, or a brat and some peanuts.

Sports I watch on TV in the order of my favorites -

* College football - I'm glued to the TV on Saturday from the noon kickoff until I can't hold my eyes open any longer. The day also usually includes a spread of food and drink similar to a tailgate. It's truly the most wonderful time of the year.

* NFL football - Love watching Redzone, and the whole league in general, with a little more rooting interest in the Fins, Cowboys, Packers and Titans. On average, I'll watch 3 games on Sunday, MNF and TNF.

* NBA - The best basketball players on the planet making ridiculous plays night after night in games not dominated by whistle happy officials. With NBA League Pass, I watch a ton of games. What's not to like?

* College basketball - Used to be a big fan, but it's a horrible product right now with games turning out to be rock fights more often than not. If not for my emotional attachment to UK and ETSU, I probably wouldn't watch any of it. The college game is in dire need of an officiating and rules overhaul.

* MLB - I enjoy MLB, but mostly just watch the Braves a couple of times a week and will catch the rest of the highlights on Baseball Tonight sometimes. I think my interest (or lack of) in MLB is mostly because during the summer, we're usually outside fishing or kayaking until dark.

Outside of those sports, nothing else interests me outside of watching some of the Olympic sports every four years.

UK of course. But have watched as little college bb as ever this year since the Cats aren’t really in the hunt. Mostly just the Cats in college fb.

Dallas Stars.

Zero NBA.

NFL way down. Mostly just Cowboys games. Did watch all the playoffs.

Golf not as interesting since the advent of LIV. Still watch the big tournaments and often tune in around 5:00 on Sundays to see who’s winning the regular events.

Spending a lot more time working on my golf game. Anytime I break 80 I shoot my age which is around 75% of the time.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Y’all’s relationship confuses the hell outta me. Don’t know why, but…… Ever taken him twig lining? Fantail minnows? Six pack?

You're to deep BC...

So what I had him chained in my basement one time for five or six months. What's the big deal??? He got too interested in my babies. So I chained his arse.... Grom doesn't hold it against me, why do you? He got three hots and a cot.

So what that I'd love to see him take a long walk off a short pier... (With thousands of hungry blue crab in the water where he falls in...)

It's not like I hate him. It's not like he doesn't put coherent sentences together.

I'm not prejudice, I'll mess with anyone... I will also give credit where credit is due...

I get I'm a Greg Cote "back in my day" guy, but the general decoupling of players with teams/coaches has made sports less fun. Kareem and Magic are Lakers, Bird a Celtic, MJ a Bull, Dr. J a Sixer, etc. Will LBJ enter the HOF as a Cav, Heat, or Laker? Durant? I loved the day when it was my guys against your guys year after year. Players played for us because WE ARE KENTUCKY. Not anymore. Chuck Hayes crying on Senior Night we will never see again. That connection is gone as stars in all sports at all levels are simply guns for hire.

Last edited:
You're to deep BC...

So what I had him chained in my basement one time for five or six months. What's the big deal??? He got too interested in my babies. So I chained his arse.... Grom doesn't hold it against me, why do you? He got three hots and a cot.

So what that I'd love to see him take a long walk off a short pier... (With thousands of blue crab in the water where he falls in...)

It's not like I hate him. It's not like he doesn't put coherent sentences together.

I'm not prejudice, I'll mess with anyone... I will also give credit where credit is due...
Haha. Just mess in’ with you. Guess I’m bored. No longer interested in games. No pun intended.

I used to be a die hard:

UK sports fan
Reds fan
Lions
Pistons
Red wings

Now, I’d say I’m only a die hard UK fan. And even that is less than it was a few years ago.

I have a job, wife, 5 kids. I coach and officiate basketball and football. I even doordash and deliver groceries sometimes. Making extra cash has recently become more important to me.

Life in general is just busy.
Being a Lions fan takes work. You gotta explain yourself everywhere you go…

If KY is playing football or basketball, I will be watching. All other teams and sports have very little appeal to me. After all, sports are just sports ...

Reactions: CaptainBoogerBuns
I’ll be honest, nothing like taking in a minor league baseball game on a Fri or Saturday night. It doesn’t matter if the team sucks, it just a cheap, nice ticket.

Reactions: JDHoss
Don't watch sports nearly as much as I used to.

College football is far and away my #1. However, I watch UK and then parts of a couple other games at most on fall Saturdays. Can't do the 11 am to Midnight marathons like I used to.

NFL I watch only after CFB season and even then not a full game until the playoffs. It's way oversaturated with Thursday, Sunday 3 games, Monday. Just too much. Plus, sports talk radio is 75% NFL and it's just too much.

Used to watch CBB quite a bit. Now, it's hard for me to watch a UK game. Hate the style of play and just find today's game boring. Plus, Calipari is an asshat and I can't stand watching him scream on the sidelines all game long.

NBA might as well not be on because I basically never watch it. Hate the way it's officiated. Hate the style. Season is way too long. Hate the politics that's crept in.

Now that I don't play anymore, I don't watch golf except maybe Sunday afternoon of a major.

Watch some tennis but, man, there are a million tournaments in a season and only 2-3 of the top players play in each until the majors. Plus, all the majors are no longer on network so I don't watch as much as I like.

Quit watching baseball except for a game.or two in person each year when they canceled the WS.

Boxing, MMA, horse racing, car racing, soccer, hockey, Olympics, etc - never watch at all.

Even the sports I love, the games are too damn long with too many ads. A 60 minute CFB game shouldn't take 3.5 hours to play. NFL is even worse with all the TV breaks.

NIL and transfer rule has dampened my enthusiasm for CFB. Watering down the regular season with more playoff games will, also. I wonder whether I'll watch anything other than UK games 10 years from now.

I love watching UK football and basketball. I also enjoy watching College football/basketball and NFL football, but I rarely watch NBA basketball. I can’t really explain why I’m not a huge NBA basketball fan, though I do watch during the playoffs.

This is good a place as any. Not starting a thread. Lost my dad a year ago today. He was 89, and a rabid UK fan, until the last few years. I’ve had a rough day. Yesterday was my birthday. I’ve dreaded this day for nearly a year. My daughter and I took him to Rupp for his only live game in 2013. He worshipped the cats, despised Cal, He was a smart man.

The NBA AS Game thread got me thinking. I've seen a lot of posts from folks talking about losing their interest in sports lately. So, my question is, what's the 'why'? Is it the quality of completion? The athletes themselves? Politics? Social media? What is driving people to lose interest in these sports that used to be a main form of entertainment and joy?

For me, I think it's a combination. I'm older and have less time to waste on sports. Add that to social media has exposed the worst of a lot of these stars. Their character and whatever uneducated, outspoken and out of touch politics is hard to stomach. I also think the lack of investment in the pros to a city and fanbase that makes people not willing to invest in them either. As a Kentucky fan, we all know it's pointless to get an emotional investment of these guys anymore.

I find myself getting more interested in non-NASCSR racing these days. Living in Indy, I keep an eye on Indy Car, but becoming more interested in it, and F1, these days.
For me, I just realize year after year that life is short, my wife and kids deserve more of my time and energy than anything else, and sports just piss me off and let me down 9 times out of 10.

Some guys were chatting about the St. Louis Cardinals on this board - in a basketball thread. I attend one Reds game a year - as a form of entertainment. Don’t know the players or coach or even how the team is doing. And don’t care. Don’t give a rip about baseball. Just go as a family event. And honestly, I’m moving towards that attitude with the Cats and even the Bengals (they’re good now, but SB wins are hard to come by).

1. NFL football, Cowboys
2. UK basketball
3. UK football/college football in general

I can't stand watching most other sports. Baseball, for instance, is an incredibly boring sport.

I also could care less about racing, but the Indy 500 is one of the greatest sporting events I've ever been to.

a big driver for me is the shared collected interest of sports of my friends and peer group.

in the late 90's and early 2000's there were thousands of active UK fans online on boards like this posting as frequently as I do, and my group of friends shared an active interest in the local teams.

As their interest waned so did mine. Have seen alot of people that lived and breathed UK basketball that just don't have the same interest. Maybe you can say life got in the way, but I think its better to say other things just got more interesting to them. They quit prioritizing it.

You're to deep BC...

So what that I'd love to see him take a long walk off a short pier... (With thousands of hungry blue crab in the water where he falls in...)

Them babies done growed up old man.

I still watch sports. The NBA is fun to watch you just have to find the correct teams to watch. The kings, thunder, and cavs are really fun to watch. Also really love watching soccer for anybody here who likes soccer, the premier league is great. Let’s hope Arsenal doesn’t choke the league. But yeah I don’t get how people can not have interest anymore. When Kentucky loses I don’t watch college basketball for a day or two because I know they will trash Kentucky and I don’t wanna listen to it
Liverpool fan here,I also like watching the German Bundesliga,Dortmud are another team I follow I also love the NHL,and Rugby

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
Liverpool fan here,I also like watching the German Bundesliga,Dortmud are another team I follow I also love the NHL,and Rugby
Yeah I don’t know what happened to Liverpool this year, losing mane is probably why you all took a step back. Arsenal I’m so used to them choking and doing stupid stuff, I’m not used to them being in a position to win, I’m just hoping they don’t lose the league somehow after how good they started

Reactions: catfootballfan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT