ADVERTISEMENT

WSJ Article on Shams

Jan 5, 2018
As an attorney who has an interest in the gaming (gambling) industry, I recommend you read the WSJ article on Shams. I have never seen odds swing so wildly on draft day for one selection: the MIller/Henderson pick at 2. Miller entered draft day at -400, then a Shams tweet hinting Scoot would be the selection caused Miller to go to +380, with Scoot seismically moving to -600. I am not accusing Shams of bad faith, but it is worth noting that FanDuel also signs his checks, and they got a ton of action on Scoot after his tweet. Brandon was the selection since the SEC tournament ended from what I heard. I was a college basketball manager, so I still have some very attenuated ties to the industry. Story is behind a paywall. Sorry. This thread is not meant to debate the merits of the selection or who you think will be the better player. Thanks BBN.

Reactions: MbergCat and chroix
And it's not like Shams is unaware this could affect betting line. It was a big story about a random redditor moving thenfl draft betting line. You would think he would be more careful, not less

Last edited:
Reactions: ukfan041 and chroix
You should have seen the Levis to Colts with the 4th pick odds shift like crazy 48 hours before the draft. The Colts actually told Levis they were picking him as a misdirection to get Richardson. The Levis news spread like wild fire. A lot of us lost a whole lot on that bet.

You're telling me sports gambling may not be on the level?? I'm shocked. I mean, I would assume, that now it's a bazillion dollar industry, that greed and deceit wouldn't be involved.

Swim at your own risk.
This isn't sports gambling. That's betting on who wins a game.
This isn't any different than Oscar pools or political props.
Catturd could do the same if he tweeted he was the vice presidential nominee.

And it's not like Shams is unaware this could affect betting line. It was a big story about a random redditor moving thenfl draft betting line. You would think he would be more careful, not less
Not sure he has any responsibility for how people take his advice and gamble? If he is consistently wrong then people will naturally ignore him, for those that followed it, well that's why it's called gambling.

You should have seen the Levis to Colts with the 4th pick odds shift like crazy 48 hours before the draft. The Colts actually told Levis they were picking him as a misdirection to get Richardson. The Levis news spread like wild fire. A lot of us lost a whole lot on that bet.
How would that misdirection benefit them?
The only way I see it could is if they thought a team with the 1-3 pick would trade out AND there was another team (likely in top 10) wanting Richardson so bad that they would trade ahead of them to take him if thought the Colts would, AND they thought there was not a team wanting Levis bad enough to trade up for him. That last part could cost them by misdirecting.

How would that misdirection benefit them?
The only way I see it could is if they thought a team with the 1-3 pick would trade out AND there was another team (likely in top 10) wanting Richardson so bad that they would trade ahead of them to take him if thought the Colts would, AND they thought there was not a team wanting Levis bad enough to trade up for him. That last part could cost them by misdirecting.
If it’s known that the Colts were going to take AR at 4 and another team wanted him also, they would trade up to 2 or 3 to get him. Colts then lose him and get stuck with a second rounder as their 4th pick.

If it’s known the Colts “want” Levis when no one had interest in him then you don’t give up more to trade in front of Colts to get AR.

Reactions: WildcatNC
What I heard was that Levis was told by some staff side they wanted him. Ownership then overrode them and took AR. All went down last few days. Might nothave entirely been misdirection, at least from the coach side.

What I heard was that Levis was told by some staff side they wanted him. Ownership then overrode them and took AR. All went down last few days. Might nothave entirely been misdirection, at least from the coach side.
Whatever it was, I bet a whole lot on the wrong info!

Reactions: WildcatNC
As an attorney who has an interest in the gaming (gambling) industry, I recommend you read the WSJ article on Shams. I have never seen odds swing so wildly on draft day for one selection: the MIller/Henderson pick at 2. Miller entered draft day at -400, then a Shams tweet hinting Scoot would be the selection caused Miller to go to +380, with Scoot seismically moving to -600. I am not accusing Shams of bad faith, but it is worth noting that FanDuel also signs his checks, and they got a ton of action on Scoot after his tweet. Brandon was the selection since the SEC tournament ended from what I heard. I was a college basketball manager, so I still have some very attenuated ties to the industry. Story is behind a paywall. Sorry. This thread is not meant to debate the merits of the selection or who you think will be the better player. Thanks BBN.

Imo it's much ado about nothing, other than some people who lost bets want to blame someone else.

Iirc all the guy said was the hornets really like scoot. Undoubtedly a true statement and never said they were taking him with their pick. Degenerates and speculators, tried to capitalize by making assumptions and they lost.

Moral of the story: 1) don't bet 2) if you do and decide to read more into a statement than was actually stated; your outcome is on you 3) even if you didn't you can still lose; see #1

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT