ADVERTISEMENT

Worlds BIggest Sellout(s)

For the guys of my generation (over 45). When Jefferson Airplane changed to Jefferson Starship, it was over.
When Kool and the Gang brought in J.T. Taylor as their lead singer, it was over.
Eddie Murphy SHOULD have gotten an Oscar for Dreamgirls...problem was, everyone remembers the dreck he acted in instead of the best role in his career.

For the guys of my generation (over 45). When Jefferson Airplane changed to Jefferson Starship, it was over.

And they released "We Built This City (on Rock and Roll)". Easily the most non-RocknRoll song in the entire history of songs that ever mention RocknRoll. Comically bad tune! Horribly, disturbingly bad tune!

When the producers brought that little shit Oliver on the Brady Bunch.
Right answer, wrong generation:

51F+J3SkJoL._SX500_.jpg

Reactions: Get Bucket$
I know there are some who will say Metallica. Since they became more mainstream in the 90s and didnt stay true to what made them popular

It's true.

Their first four albums that were thrash metal are far superior to anything they've done since, including the black album. I know your average mainstream WKQQ listener loves the black album. It's their fifth best album in my eyes. To me it's not the pinnacle of their career but rather the point they quit playing metal and turned into an arena rock band. The Loads were almost decent, but you could take all the good songs out to make an EP and still have a double album of mid-tempo filler tunes.( I can't fault them because they got filthy rich by abandoning the hardcores and appealing to the masses.)

Guns N' Roses is another, although I'm a huge fan of the original lineup. Appetite for Destruction was a no frills, balls out, hard rock album. The Use Your Illusion records, while pretty decent, were filled with piano solos, female background singers, 8-minute opuses, cheesy love ballads, etc. It was a sell out attempt by the crazy person singer (None of the rest of the band wanted a full-time keyboard player or a touring orchestra)

^^HIs early stuff was great. Now he's churning out garbage because he went broke. The remake of "Bad Lieutenant" was the last straw. Harvey Keitel weeps over that.

UKgrad snuck in "George Lucas" right above this post. Thinking about Lucas doing a remake of "Bad Lieutenant" was kind of funny.

The absolute biggest sellout I can think of is Ice Cube. He was arguably the most important member of NWA, and when he went solo he released songs like "True to the Game" that absolutely shredded the sellouts of that time. He is now someone that kids think is safe to run up and give a hug to after those god awful "Are We There Yet" movies.

I am the biggest sellout I know. When I was 20 I was a liberal who smoked weed every day and planned on never getting married and having children. At 35 I am married with 2 children and I am about as conservative as it gets. I used to be al about compassion for people who are down and out, now I know how much hard work I have put into avoiding it and I see how little people who are down and out are trying to not be down and out and I don't want to give my money away to help them. I am the biggest sellout I know. I also quit smoking weed so I could get a real job and make money and to make my wife happier and to be a better example to my children. I threw out all my 20 year old values to get other things I wanted. I sold out big time.

You sounded way cooler at 20.

this is not limited to music. Everybody is fair game. Politicans, actors, etc. I love this bunch and I know the paddock wil not disappoint. I'll start with one, and then it's your turn, have fun.

Nelly- by far the biggest sellout I've ever heard. He is an inspiration to this thread. First you do a bad country song with Tim McGraw, then you follow it up with another bad one with an awful duo fla/ga line crusin. It's really bad

Taylor swift- she completely left country music in the dust only to make awful pop songs that sound like someone wrote in 5 mins.

Ok it's your turn, who comes to mind when you think of sell out?

I don't know about who might be the world's biggest sellout but buddy I can tell you which place has the most and that's Washington DC lol

I am the biggest sellout I know. When I was 20 I was a liberal who smoked weed every day and planned on never getting married and having children. At 35 I am married with 2 children and I am about as conservative as it gets. I used to be al about compassion for people who are down and out, now I know how much hard work I have put into avoiding it and I see how little people who are down and out are trying to not be down and out and I don't want to give my money away to help them. I am the biggest sellout I know. I also quit smoking weed so I could get a real job and make money and to make my wife happier and to be a better example to my children. I threw out all my 20 year old values to get other things I wanted. I sold out big time.

scsc.gif

Michael Moore with a 10k SF mansion and a Manhattan penthouse.
Al Gore selling his media company for $93m to oil guys.

Reactions: dezyDeco
man that's not selling out, that's called growing up.

It's true.

Guns N' Roses is another, although I'm a huge fan of the original lineup. Appetite for Destruction was a no frills, balls out, hard rock album. The Use Your Illusion records, while pretty decent, were filled with piano solos, female background singers, 8-minute opuses, cheesy love ballads, etc. It was a sell out attempt by the crazy person singer (None of the rest of the band wanted a full-time keyboard player or a touring orchestra)

You're confusing going soft/crazy with selling out.

Reactions: Svarog
man that's not selling out, that's called growing up.
So you think making money to keep your wife happy and not helping those that are down and out is a better example for your kids? And that this is growing up? I really hope the original poster was being facetious.

I'd like to mention Freddie Gibbs again, who's next album is being produced by 808 Mafia that Mashburned had a nice little rant about just last week.

How perfect is that?

:cool2:

So you think making money to keep your wife happy and not helping those that are down and out is a better example for your kids? And that this is growing up? I really hope the original poster was being facetious.
Well I'm sure the extra money helps make his life alittle better too.
Theres absolutely nothing wrong with wanting the best life for your family as possible. Usually to do that a man has to sacrifice something.
That's what I was mainly addressing with my post.

Of course showing compassion for the poor and the less fortunate is a good thing, but the fact remains that
alot of people are looking for a hand out instead of a hand up, and I assumed the op was referring to that.
No I'm not a cold heartless scumbag,

Well I'm sure the extra money helps make his life alittle better too.
Theres absolutely nothing wrong with wanting the best life for your family as possible. Usually to do that a man has to sacrifice something.
That's what I was mainly addressing with my post.

Of course showing compassion for the poor and the less fortunate is a good thing, but the fact remains that
alot of people are looking for a hand out instead of a hand up, and I assumed the op was referring to that.
No I'm not a cold heartless scumbag,
You are correct. There is nothing wrong with wanting the best life for your family. I guess our definition of best life is a little different.

Nirvana was considered a sell out before never mind came out. Cobain was tired of being labeled a sellout and considered pop. So what does he do? In his words writes the ultimate Pop song. The biggest hit; smells like teen spirt. Even though we all know about 6 words to the song, the idea came from an ex gf who sang in a band. The only deodorant she wore was teen spirit which gave him the inspiration for the song

Green Day comes to mind for selling punk to the masses. The question is, since they set out to do it from inception, does that count as selling out?

Props to the Black Keys mention. I hate to admit it, but, yeah.

What has happened to the History Channel/Discovery Channel over the last few years is the definition of sellout.

MTV started this awful trend to stray from having unique channels that had certain specialties to becoming corporate dumbed down programming that shows the same stupid reality shit as every other channel. It is hard to believe the MTV of the early 80s even once existed. They were never considered educational like the channels you mentioned so your examples are worse. Same thing happened to Bravo and A&E. Media mergers and a bunch of suits at HQ figuring out ways to raise ratings to the mass audience.

ADVERTISEMENT