ADVERTISEMENT

Worlds BIggest Sellout(s)

Wall2Boogie

All-American
Jan 28, 2010
this is not limited to music. Everybody is fair game. Politicans, actors, etc. I love this bunch and I know the paddock wil not disappoint. I'll start with one, and then it's your turn, have fun.

Nelly- by far the biggest sellout I've ever heard. He is an inspiration to this thread. First you do a bad country song with Tim McGraw, then you follow it up with another bad one with an awful duo fla/ga line crusin. It's really bad

Taylor swift- she completely left country music in the dust only to make awful pop songs that sound like someone wrote in 5 mins.

Ok it's your turn, who comes to mind when you think of sell out?

I know there are some who will say Metallica. Since they became more mainstream in the 90s and didnt stay true to what made them popular

Music :
Tough one....as a teen I loved Chicago (the group), but after about #5 they sounded like they were trying to make songs that sounded more like what other top 40 groups were making. Chicago made little music I found enjoyable after #5 or so.

What's a sell out? Is it someone who decides to do something other than what you would have them do? Was Elvis a sell out when he moved on from early rock and roll and started doing music he liked? (yeah, he actually had a pop, lounge singer sensibility.) In the real world is a Navy SEAL who decides to take a job teaching at Annapolis a sell out? An undercover cop who takes a desk job after he has a couple kids? A teacher in a tough neighborhood who decides after ten years to sell insurance?

To me, you are only a sell out if you think of yourself as a sell out. As an artist, you might do something more mainstream and lose your audience, but if you did it for your own reasons and accept the consequences, you aren't a sell out. People have considered everyone from the Beatles to U2 to Green Day sell outs. When I was 16 and Exile on Main Street was followed by Goat's Head Soup, I called the Rolling Stones a sell out. Now there are days I'd rather listen to Angie than Turd on the Run.

Maybe the people who seem like sell outs just got older and their own tastes changed and to keep doing what YOU wanted them to do would have really been selling out.

What's a sell out? Is it someone who decides to do something other than what you would have them do? Was Elvis a sell out when he moved on from early rock and roll and started doing music he liked? (yeah, he actually had a pop, lounge singer sensibility.) In the real world is a Navy SEAL who decides to take a job teaching at Annapolis a sell out? An undercover cop who takes a desk job after he has a couple kids? A teacher in a tough neighborhood who decides after ten years to sell insurance?

To me, you are only a sell out if you think of yourself as a sell out. As an artist, you might do something more mainstream and lose your audience, but if you did it for your own reasons and accept the consequences, you aren't a sell out. People have considered everyone from the Beatles to U2 to Green Day sell outs. When I was 16 and Exile on Main Street was followed by Goat's Head Soup, I called the Rolling Stones a sell out. Now there are days I'd rather listen to Angie than Turd on the Run.

Maybe the people who seem like sell outs just got older and their own tastes changed and to keep doing what YOU wanted them to do would have really been selling out.

I agree with this ^ completely.

Music :
Tough one....as a teen I loved Chicago (the group), but after about #5 they sounded like they were trying to make songs that sounded more like what other top 40 groups were making. Chicago made little music I found enjoyable after #5 or so.
Nothing says sell out like Peter Cetera. This is probably on the top list of every poster on the paddock.

Blink 182, New Found Glory, The Ataris, Brand New, The Get Up Kids, As Cities Burn, No Doubt, Sum 41, Taking Back Sunday, Underoath

Ice T went from Cop Killer to playing a detective on Law and Order.

Ice Cube went from N.W.A. to Are We There Yet?

Eddie Murphy went from Raw and movies like Coming to America/Trade Places, etc... to Daddy Day Care. Actually, Eddie Murphy may not really be as much of a sellout. I think he just stopped being funny.

I used Dead Kennedys as an example because they spent their entire careers as anti corporate, anti establishment, DIY, anti capitalist band. Then they proceeded to sue the lead singer because he didn't want their song to appear in a Levi commercial.

I know there are some who will say Metallica. Since they became more mainstream in the 90s and didnt stay true to what made them popular

Some people say the black album was a sellout album, but they're wrong. It was just different then their previous work, mostly because of the influence of Jason Newsted. He was on And Justice For All, but he came in late and the bass on that album was weak.

But "Unforgiven II" was a complete, utter sellout.

I am the biggest sellout I know. When I was 20 I was a liberal who smoked weed every day and planned on never getting married and having children. At 35 I am married with 2 children and I am about as conservative as it gets. I used to be al about compassion for people who are down and out, now I know how much hard work I have put into avoiding it and I see how little people who are down and out are trying to not be down and out and I don't want to give my money away to help them. I am the biggest sellout I know. I also quit smoking weed so I could get a real job and make money and to make my wife happier and to be a better example to my children. I threw out all my 20 year old values to get other things I wanted. I sold out big time.

^^HIs early stuff was great. Now he's churning out garbage because he went broke. The remake of "Bad Lieutenant" was the last straw. Harvey Keitel weeps over that.

^^HIs early stuff was great. Now he's churning out garbage because he went broke. The remake of "Bad Lieutenant" was the last straw. Harvey Keitel weeps over that.
He's terrible at picking scripts. Inconsistent. For every Adaptation you get a National Treasure/Knowing/Bangkok Dangerous. Also, I think he got into some financial trouble. Needed the money.

Definitely has financial trouble that has led to some terrible script choices. Plus he's having Tom Hanks hairline problems that's morphing into some type of transmogrified mullet.

His turn in Joe was pretty solid. The movie wasn't very good, but his acting was reminiscent of his early work. He has had some great films and can be a great actor, but he's really not that diverse of an actor.

He had a niche. Sort of an innate ability at self-parody. He needs to be an oddball or some kind of outcast. Nick Cage as mainstream is as painful as it gets. I don't like anything post Con Air and I hated that, too.

ZZ Top. Listen to "Fandango" album, then compare it to the early 80s FM-friendly pop crap they put out.

Queen. Listen to "Queen II" album, then compare it to the early 80s FM-friendly pop crap they put out.

Judas Priest. Listen to "Stained Class" album, then compare it to the early 80s FM-friendly pop crap they put out.

ZZ Top. Listen to "Fandango" album, then compare it to the early 80s FM-friendly pop crap they put out.

Queen. Listen to "Queen II" album, then compare it to the early 80s FM-friendly pop crap they put out.

Judas Priest. Listen to "Stained Class" album, then compare it to the early 80s FM-friendly pop crap they put out.

Wut? Fandango is their sell out album. Tres Hombres and Rio Grande Mud kill that album. If you are going to call them sellouts, at least get it right.

He had a niche. Sort of an innate ability at self-parody. He needs to be an oddball or some kind of outcast. Nick Cage as mainstream is as painful as it gets. I don't like anything post Con Air and I hated that, too.
I agree. Although, Adaptation was pretty damn good. Charlie Kaufman is one of the best screenwriters of all time and Spike Jonze is becoming one of the best film makers of his generation.

Mentioning Taylor Swift is about as dumb as it gets. She was never country. It's not like she was doing songs in the style of Loretta Lynn and Tammy Wynete, am then started making pop music.

Reactions: JellyShelly
ADVERTISEMENT