ADVERTISEMENT

Will UK do anything special for the 50th anniversary of Rupp's Runts?

Estil

Sophomore
Mar 3, 2011
As you guys probably know, next season, 2016 will be the 50th anniversary of one of our most beloved teams in our history, the 1966 Rupp's Runts. It's also a neat concidence that the very next year was my wife's Red Sox' (she's a native Bostonian) 1967 Impossible Dream season (won pennant after nine straight losing seasons...and three other teams were in the pennant race with a week to go), and they too are among the most beloved teams in Red Sox history...even though both they and the Runts had to settle for silver/second place.

And if I may take a moment to dispel a popular myth regarding the 1966 title game? Contrary to popular belief, Texas Western was NOT a big underdog in the title game and it was NOT an upset. True, Kentucky was #1 ranked and only had one loss late in the season all year. But guess what? Tex Wes also only had one loss late in the season all year and came into the NCAA Tournament ranked second. Now why/how they dropped to being ranked #3 by title game time I have no idea but the fact is the title game was about as even a matchup as it gets and I honestly think it's doing Tex Wes a disservice by calling it an "upset".

That being said does UK have anything special planned like a reunion or something for the surviving Runts? Cuz you can bet Tex Wes will spare no expense celebrating their champs! It's a shame we couldn't work out the rematch though, that would've been a fun and terrific moment in both school's history.

I know, it was a shame that didn't work out...think of how much fun it would've been to have both teams together at the reunion before the game.

I honestly am glad we didn't schedule the game. Instead of the truth, the media would have made Rupp and UK look bad. Does anyone really think that either CBS or ESPN would take time to run the "real story" of that game and everything that happened at the time?

Reactions: Teaucat
I honestly am glad we didn't schedule the game. Instead of the truth, the media would have made Rupp and UK look bad. Does anyone really think that either CBS or ESPN would take time to run the "real story" of that game and everything that happened at the time?
Ditto.

Originally when I heard about a potential game in Maryland I was excited about the prospect and hoped to get a ticket, but the more I think about it the more I think it's better that the game not be played.

Unfortunately I think the national discourse hasn't really evolved to the level that it should, not just about this particular game but in general.

FWIW, I have mentioned this before but two days after the game in 1966 Harvey Yavener wrote an article for the Trenton (NJ) Trentonian where he discusses the game but the state of race relations in general at the time.

Reading that article, I can't honestly say that the collective knowledge or understanding of that game has improved over the past 50 years. If anything it's devolved, with a large share of the blame going to the media and how they've tried to make simple-minded portrayals.

19660321Trentonian_Harveyyavener.jpg

Link to Full Article: The Texas Western Lesson (March 21, 1966)

I'd say if anything, maybe Rupp was too NOT racist for his own good.

That is, he most definitely wanted very much to be able to get the best UK players he can (whether they be white, black, Vulcan...)...like most all great coaches, his one and only priority was to win and to make UK the best b-ball program it can be. You don't hear it put this way very often, but perhaps the real reason the rest of the SEC didn't want integration was that UK (even then) was enough of an "Evil Empire of the SEC" already and they knew darn good and well who black recruits would most likely go to if given a chance. Not only because UK was among the best of the best in the country but they were by far the first SEC team to regularly play integrated teams, was the first to openly call for integrating basketball, and Rupp offered formal scholarships to black players as far back as 1964.

Furthermore, he warned those who were interested in coming to UK that the rest of the SEC was going to be, eh, less than accommodating and that they had to be ready and prepared for that harsh reality. Just as Branch Rickey did with Jackie Robinson about 15-20 prior. Some even suggested that Rupp just have a token black on the bench but one, that would throw everything Rupp stood for regarding winning/competitiveness out the window and while he did personally want very much to integrate, he wasn't going to be selfish about it either (that is putting a token black on the bench and/or carelessly putting black players in danger from hostile opposing fans just to make himself and UK look good).

Also, I don't think the whole "Rupp a racist?" allegations didn't really start until the 80s or so? Of course in those pre-Internet days, people gave places like CNN, SI, network news and so on trust and benefit of the doubt because c'mon, it's not like they had a real chance to find out otherwise.

from cobbycobb over at the Cats Pause forum:
A. He coached blacks in HS while in Kansas before becoming the UK coach.

B. He often helped black athletes find excellent schools to attend when he knew he couldn't get them here at UK because he was unable to guarantee their safety while playing on the road in the SEC.

C. He made sure to travel around the country and play against integrated teams to help make his team better.

D. He often gave coaching clinics to black coaches.

E. I could go on but perhaps some of you should just learn the facts and stop repeating what the media keeps feeding you because they are too lazy to do actual research and go with their preconceived notions...

A. He didn't mearly coach them, I think at least one was a regular starter and this was back in 20s, decades before civil rights became fashionable (as Charlton Heston liked to say)

B. Indeed, wasn't there one all-time great in particular that was the best example of that (I'm a big history buff and I'm making some neat spreadsheets regarding UK history but my memory recall SUCKS)? And I think that was quite unselfish of him...I mean it's not like many knew about it back then, and wasn't it another great coach (John Wooden?) who said that it's amazing what can be accomplished when no one cares who gets the credit.

C. His reasoning was probably thus, sure the rest of the SEC won't let me integrate my team but they can't stop me from playing whatever interconference teams I want. And those three teams who refused NCAA invites because their university/state leaders (I don't think it was the coach/players' fault) didn't like the idea of playing integrated squads? Rupp probably figured hey if they wanna miss out on a championship chance for such a silly reason, we'll be more than happy to step in for 'em. Yes you heard right. Three of our record NCAA appearances was because the SEC champ (only conference champs went to the NCAA at the time; wild cards/at-larges didn't happen till mid 70s) was the ones being openly racist. Isn't that ironic?

D. I'd love to hear more about this one. And let me guess, he did this also long before Hollywood/media found civil rights fashionable.

E. I know UK haters would dismiss that source link as "biased"...that defense of Rupp is very well cited. And what little there is of evidence against Rupp is not only mostly hearsay but it just would not fit what we know Rupp to be like overall. Could be worse though, here's how the "cheater Cal trolls" typically do it:

Troll: You know cheater Cal had both of his Final Fours stripped so you know UK's banners will just come down someday right?
Us: Well what evidence you got that he personally did anything wrong?
Troll: Well, he was there both times...
Us: And?
Troll: *shrugs* That's it.

As you guys probably know, next season, 2016 will be the 50th anniversary of one of our most beloved teams in our history, the 1966 Rupp's Runts. It's also a neat concidence that the very next year was my wife's Red Sox' (she's a native Bostonian) 1967 Impossible Dream season (won pennant after nine straight losing seasons...and three other teams were in the pennant race with a week to go), and they too are among the most beloved teams in Red Sox history...even though both they and the Runts had to settle for silver/second place.

And if I may take a moment to dispel a popular myth regarding the 1966 title game? Contrary to popular belief, Texas Western was NOT a big underdog in the title game and it was NOT an upset. True, Kentucky was #1 ranked and only had one loss late in the season all year. But guess what? Tex Wes also only had one loss late in the season all year and came into the NCAA Tournament ranked second. Now why/how they dropped to being ranked #3 by title game time I have no idea but the fact is the title game was about as even a matchup as it gets and I honestly think it's doing Tex Wes a disservice by calling it an "upset".

That being said does UK have anything special planned like a reunion or something for the surviving Runts? Cuz you can bet Tex Wes will spare no expense celebrating their champs! It's a shame we couldn't work out the rematch though, that would've been a fun and terrific moment in both school's history.

I thought T.W. lost several games that year. Maybe as many as five or six!

from cobbycobb over at the Cats Pause forum:

D. He often gave coaching clinics to black coaches.

D. I'd love to hear more about this one. And let me guess, he did this also long before Hollywood/media found civil rights fashionable.

Most all of this stuff is discussed in detail on the following web page:

Adolph Rupp: Fact and Fiction

Rupp gave quite a number of coaching clinics over the years. I found evidence of one that he gave to the Kentucky Negro Education Association (KNEA) in the late 1930's. He also held clinics and exhibitions at Kentucky State in the 1930's and 1940's.

1945KSUclinic.jpg

Newspaper article from 1945

Will Robinson (the first black head coach in Division I at a historically white university) noted that Rupp gave a coaching clinic in Michigan that Robinson attended. Robinson was quoted as saying: "Rupp was a great person to me," he said. "You hear certain things, and everybody has their likes and dislikes, but I really enjoyed him. He told good stories and jokes and he shared a lot of his coaching tips, which meant a lot to me since I was a young coach at that time."

Also on that bigbluehistory.net website is Rupp's postgame press conference right after the 1966 title game, and it includes both audio and transcript (both uncut/unedited of course):

http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/1966twaudioclip.html

Isn't it rather strange for a guy who's supposedly this rotten evil racist with pointy hat ghost outfits in his closet, and considering his "Runts" just got beat by five black starters...Rupp made absolutely no issue or mention at all about race in anyway. Don't believe me? Just go through that transcript with your web browser's "Find" feature and you tell me how many times the words "black", "Negro", "colored", or "African-American" come up in that entire interview.

Last edited:
I know, it was a shame that didn't work out...think of how much fun it would've been to have both teams together at the reunion before the game.

If the NCAA has an opportunity, I wouldn't be surprised to see them match up in the NCAA tournament.

That is assuming UTEP makes the tournament. They ended up 22-11 last year and made the NIT so they're not terrible. Not sure what the expectation is for them this year.

Also on that bigbluehistory.net website (I can link it later or someone else can if they'd like) is Rupp's postgame press conference right after the 1966 title game, and it includes both audio and transcript (both uncut/unedited of course). Isn't it rather strange for a guy who's supposedly this rotten even racist with pointy hat ghost outfits in his closet, and considering his "Runts" just got beat by five black starters...Rupp made absolutely no issue or mention at all about race in anyway. Don't believe me? Just go through that transcript with your web browser's "Find" feature and you tell me how many times the words "black", "Negro", "colored", or "African-American" come up in that entire interview.

Here's the link to the audio interview.

Link to Rupp and Claude Sullivan after game

It's very interesting to me how many of Rupp's critics have tried to characterize Rupp's demeanor after the game as being shell-shocked and downtrodden etc. and then you hear the interview and it's nothing like you'd expect.

(thought I'd bump this with b-ball season coming up in a couple months)

BTW, you do a fantastic job on your UK history site, JPScott! I've been doing my own custom Excel spreadsheets/tables of my own using your stats (for my personal use only of course).

Maybe you should do a special page or something commemorating the 50th anniversary of the Runts?

Has UK yet made any plans to honor Rupp's Runts in some way? I mean they did so for the 50th/60th(?) anniversary of the 1948 Fab Five and recently even Ashley Judd sang Happy Birthday to Joe B Hall at Rupp Arena for his 85th b-day.

And let's not forget that next season (2017) is the 25th anniversary of the 1992 Unforgettables, they GOT to do something special for them too!

Supposed to be a 20th anniversary reunion of the 1996 championship team. I heard this on the radio last week. (Will be interesting to see if Pitino is invited but gives us the finger).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT