ADVERTISEMENT

Why Wouldn’t Every Player on Every Team

I probably would. It's a situation where you can change companies 4 times in 4 years and it won't hurt your future employment.

Reactions: BigKari
We are there now, at least for any player that would warrant NIL at all. It’s quickly becoming a disaster in my opinion. I can’t blame them for working the system presented to them, but it has to be reined in sooner rather than later.

We are there now, at least for any player that would warrant NIL at all. It’s quickly becoming a disaster in my opinion. I can’t blame them for working the system presented to them, but it has to be reined in sooner rather than later.
I don’t blame them but you’re right, it’s just working a FU system. I don’t see how major Universities would condone throwing million at anyone. Education is the last thing on the agenda.

It's going to get to the point that if you want to see college basketball played where there are returning players. You will have to watch division 2 or 3.
Division 1 is going straight to hell and nothing more than a free agency frenzy.

They need to get companies back out of it on a player to company/collective level.

It needs to be that players are employees of the school and schools have yearly salary/NIL caps. Or that all college athletes are allowed to make up to 100k as independent contractors (to prevent W2s from the universities) paid directly from the conference affiliated TV contracts ( but no outside booster, corporate, collective money while playing college athletics). So “turning pro” still has a meaning and becoming a pro is what opens up the door for Nike, FedEx, McDonald’s etc to start signing major endorsement deals. This also means all players for TV sports within a conference are paid the same taking out the offseason poaching and bidding wars of already signed players. Punish hard any booster violations the first few years to set the tone that we tried the Wild West and it failed so let’s reel this in and we are serious.

Structure is needed.

Hit the portal every year after basketball season? One man’s junk is another mans treasure? Players that play for 5-6 different teams and transfer every year. The SEC, Big 12, any D-1 player in any sport have become whores to the highest bidder.
Isn’t that what has happened?

There’s zero reason any of this should have been tied to colleges at any point in the last 60 years.

That’s where we’re heading, and honestly I would probably do the same.

In my much less lucrative profession, I put my personal bottom line ahead of any perceived loyalty to any of my former employers. Sweet pizza party and speech about us being family, but this other company is paying me 40 percent more and giving me 3 extra weeks of PTO. Bye!!

These athletes are just prepping for the real world.

I probably would. It's a situation where you can change companies 4 times in 4 years and it won't hurt your future employment.
Maybe not with those 4 companies…. There certainly are companies out there that would not interview you if you bounce around that much though. Just because people don’t value loyalty as much now does not mean that it isn’t a virtue and something that should be valued.

I don’t mind NIL, and I don’t mind the transfer portal. But, really wish there were limits on it. Like 1 free transfer.

They need to get companies back out of it on a player to company/collective level.

It needs to be that players are employees of the school and schools have yearly salary/NIL caps. Or that all college athletes are allowed to make up to 100k as independent contractors (to prevent W2s from the universities) paid directly from the conference affiliated TV contracts ( but no outside booster, corporate, collective money while playing college athletics). So “turning pro” still has a meaning and becoming a pro is what opens up the door for Nike, FedEx, McDonald’s etc to start signing major endorsement deals. This also means all players for TV sports within a conference are paid the same taking out the offseason poaching and bidding wars of already signed players. Punish hard any booster violations the first few years to set the tone that we tried the Wild West and it failed so let’s reel this in and we are serious.

Structure is needed.
Very sound ideas

Structure is needed.
salary caps can only be applied if the players are employees and unionize and agree to a cap via collective bargaining, which it looks like it may be headed that way sooner than later. dartmouth players are already trying to form a union. i don’t see how boosters can be punished unless there is a labor law violation.

In my much less lucrative profession, I put my personal bottom line ahead of any perceived loyalty to any of my former employers. Sweet pizza party and speech about us being family, but this other company is paying me 40 percent more and giving me 3 extra weeks of PTO. Bye!!

Yes. I don’t blame them. I guess I am just an old timer and very close to losing all interest. Going to renew my tickets one more year since I might be overly pessimistic.

Reactions: katwest and catzcan
I’m not sure about people losing interest as we go to pro teams . I sure c lots of enthusiasm for pro teams in all sports . So why would it matter if it’s the Bengals, Wildcats or Reds you are cheering for ?

You’ll see it happen eventually. Instead of one and done it’ll be one and free agency

Reactions: catzcan
Hit the portal every year after basketball season? One man’s junk is another mans treasure? Players that play for 5-6 different teams and transfer every year. The SEC, Big 12, any D-1 player in any sport have become whores to the highest bidder.
It’ll get worse before it gets better, until schools and boosters even get tired of funding the nonsense. I think a lot of this could be fixed by the NBA adding a third round and allowing high schoolers to be drafted. Just eliminate the inevitable. But I also think there needs to be some recourse for kids who go undrafted. They should be able to pick a school if that happens. This could go a long way towards reducing these multi-million dollar NIL deals. Either that or the NBA just needs to expand the D league and make it more akin to minor league baseball. Get college basketball back to being what it used to be.

Players who love to play for the name on the front of the jersey are simply collecting them from different schools.

They’re entertainers now, not dedicated student-athletes.

Yeah I tried this for a good part of my 20+ year engineering career and at some point they started asking questions about the hops. So while it's great in the first 10 or so years, it's a burden thereafter, so you'd better hope you land with someone that pays 40% more with 4+ weeks of PTO (I am at 6 weeks at my current employer) shortly around year 12 or 15 of your career, or you'll be hamstrung and have to answer those always awkward interview questions about hoppin' around.

Because, you may not have a seat when the music stops.

Structure is needed.
Can’t limit the amount of money they can make from NIL. That ruling is done. The schools could sign them to contracts and pay them, or the NCAA could just declare them ineligible after transferring twice. But no one can limit the amount they make from NIL. That ship sailed already.

Yeah I tried this for a good part of my 20+ year engineering career and at some point they started asking questions about the hops. So while it's great in the first 10 or so years, it's a burden thereafter, so you'd better hope you land with someone that pays 40% more with 4+ weeks of PTO (I am at 6 weeks at my current employer) shortly around year 12 or 15 of your career, or you'll be hamstrung and have to answer those always awkward interview questions about hoppin' around.

The way of the work world now for most companies is if you want a raise, find it somewhere else. (I am fortunate I now work somewhere that gives annual COLA raises + a nice bonus if the company performs to its metrics.)

I’ve had 3 jobs since 2018. From 2005-2018, I had two jobs and stayed in one of them for longer than I should’ve because I was loyal to the company, but after the 7th pizza party celebrating a “record year” and still no raise for anyone but the executives, I finally said f y’all and left.

My 80-year-old parents taught me loyalty (both worked at one place from college to retirement and received full pensions). Said if I was loyal, the company would take care of me. Discovered that to be BS this century.

While I don’t recommend hopping jobs yearly, I had no issues explaining in interviews why I worked so many places from 2018-2022. “l left for higher pay, better benefits and better work-life balance.” Most seemed to respect it.

Reactions: TheDude73
The way of the work world now for most companies is if you want a raise, find it somewhere else. (I am fortunate I now work somewhere that gives annual COLA raises + a nice bonus if the company performs to its metrics.)

I’ve had 3 jobs since 2018. From 2005-2018, I had two jobs and stayed in one of them for longer than I should’ve because I was loyal to the company, but after the 7th pizza party celebrating a “record year” and still no raise for anyone but the executives, I finally said f y’all and left.

My 80-year-old parents taught me loyalty (both worked at one place from college to retirement and received full pensions). Said if I was loyal, the company would take care of me. Discovered that to be BS this century.

While I don’t recommend hopping jobs yearly, I had no issues explaining in interviews why I worked so many places from 2018-2022. “l left for higher pay, better benefits and better work-life balance.” Most seemed to respect it.
I agree but I was just saying it's a fine line. You have to know when to bolt and not overdo the hopping. I made huge strides in responsibility and pay throughout my jumping, but now I'm ready to settle down. Of course, my company is pretty damned cool, as is my job and position (and pay, benefits and PTO), so it'll finally be easy to hang on until retirement.

They do.

At least, they put out feelers to see if any other school is willing to pay for their services.

salary caps can only be applied if the players are employees and unionize and agree to a cap via collective bargaining, which it looks like it may be headed that way sooner than later. dartmouth players are already trying to form a union. i don’t see how boosters can be punished unless there is a labor law violation.
Unless Congress passes a law about this, unions is the only way this gets controlled. Everyone laughed at Dartmouth a bit for that, but the only way there are restrictions is if players collectively bargain and agree to them.

Of course, that opens up a whole different can of worms because if that happens the vast majority of colleges are cutting most of their sports.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT