ADVERTISEMENT

Why is thers till so many ULL tickets left?

well you are asking why, IMO that is why there are tickets available for ULL. Buncha UK fans gave up on the program/sport and have not yet come back, and may never come back. Remember ULL probably did not buy many visitor tickets whereas Florida fans are planning on making the trip en mass.

I'll give you that. Point well taken It will bed disgusting to open on TV a night game against a decent team that went 9-4 and won their bowl game last year. It will be an entertaining game. We need to show the team and coach Stoops and the University we are behind them. GBB

There may have been a surge after Stoops' arrival but that quickly died off following a 2 win season. A lot of the fans who were turned off during the Joker years are simply waiting to see if Stoops is the same old thing. I know Stoops is god on here because we're the fanatics that follow this every day but to the casual fan, he hasn't proven anything. Wins will what get the fans back plain and simple. Throw on top of that its not a sexy opponent and you don't have a sellout.

The other thing I've heard from several other season ticket holders who I know dropped their tickets came from parking. Several of the long timers didn't get passes close to the stadium and they dropped their tickets.

IMO much of the problem is a big portion of the UK fans have gotten older like me and find it much easier to watch on HD TV than to fight that game day traffic and make that long drive to the games. The recruitment of younger fans just hasn't kept pace with the older fans that have decided to stay home and watch the games on TV.

Another thing is only a few games used to be televised and now almost all of the games are televised. Huge Screen HD TV has given fans a field level view of the games instead of a view from the hinderlands if you have uppers. I love the atmosphere at games but truthfully if I just want to watch football I get a better view on by giant screen HD TV.

Those that say I should feel guilty because I do not go to more than one or two games a year, Bugg out TV is what really supports college Football and I watch every game on TV.

You are off onto a tangent, and your biases are showing. This has nothing to do with a minority of season ticket holders who gave up season tickets in the past, which happens from time to time at every school. They are a tiny segment of the market for Kentucky football tickets. ........ Only the most obsessed and those in need of anger management would base their decisions on things that happened 3 years ago.
They aren't making a decision based on their anger of 3 years ago. They're not making a decision at all because they aren't thinking about it; i.e., UK tickets have no present value to them. They're moved on to other activities & entertainment.

I am with C1180... And to those above tickets are too expensive for some of us.. Regardless of the donation or not, they are too high for me. Parking at $275 is no more than a huge money grab. Some of you can do it and not sweat it. I can't. But there are more like me that are staying home or only going to one game than there are those who can afford to do everything. I watch every game and record when I can't be home so i have the best of many worlds. I am glad for those of you who still can go and support the team. I love to go, especially the night games and miss it a lot. Just saying look at the stadiums around the country on Saturdays and you will see many empty seats where 2-3 yrs ago they were all sell outs. And I am talking about big name teams.

There are many UK fans who gave so much, for so long, that the Joker debacle finally broke them, and while they still cheer for the team, will not invest money again until they see with their own eyes that we are doing what it takes to succeed...Just seeing a new coaching hire and stadium upgrades is gonna bring them back. They need to see a winning program finally established, one that will continue to thrive after Stoops leaves, and frankly, I can't blame them...pair that with the fact that tix are expensive, opponent is crappy, holiday weekend etc etc, and I think you'll understand why it's not sold out...but I still think it will be, or will be damn close to sold out by game time.

Reactions: Bigbluediddy63
Wish I could go but it's a 9 hour drive, rental car, hotel, food.....I'd be into it for 300 before I could even get comfortable. I will say this though. This team, these players and this coaching staff DESERVE a sellout for every game. It can only help with recruiting and that is what will lift the program. Whining about the Joker years is a cop out.

That's all? I thought we had a lot left or something from the discussion. A week and a half out and we are just 1450 short I say don't worry about it. You sell 1400 in a 2 hour window prior to the start of the game. They'll certainly be gone by kick off.
There are more than that. Theycopen up new sctions once others are sold.

Agree it is ridiculous to blame Joker since this is Stoops' 3rd season in Lexington. Also, because some games on our schedule are much closer to being sold out than others, it just looks like some fans feel less interest or urgency for this particular game. Could be that some fans will be traveling over Labor Day weekend and unable or unwilling to change plans to see Kentucky play a Sun Belt team. Or could be that some people are just waiting. I assume the game will sell out before kickoff.

I agree it will probably be a sellout by kickoff, would love to have the ability to walk up and try to get a ticket. The empty seats will be from ticket holders that couldn't go and didn't make make an effort to get the seats filled early enough, even if they had to give them away. Fans should be anxious to see the players we have heard so much about, and there certainly is some uncertainty about the outcome. Personally I would like to see a game never in doubt, without showing too much or changing the point spreads too much.

Was there anyone that wasn't excited by Braylon's two carries for two TDs two years ago against a lesser opponent, and didn't he have an almost identical run against USC this year that was the difference in the game?

I am with C1180... And to those above tickets are too expensive for some of us.. Regardless of the donation or not, they are too high for me. Parking at $275 is no more than a huge money grab. Some of you can do it and not sweat it. I can't. But there are more like me that are staying home or only going to one game than there are those who can afford to do everything. I watch every game and record when I can't be home so i have the best of many worlds. I am glad for those of you who still can go and support the team. I love to go, especially the night games and miss it a lot. Just saying look at the stadiums around the country on Saturdays and you will see many empty seats where 2-3 yrs ago they were all sell outs. And I am talking about big name teams.
Parking? Whats wrong with parking down the road for 10dollars. You can easily go to this game for 60 bucks counting ticket and parking. I am by no means wealthy and i do it easy. Its not thatchard, you dont have to have the best seats and parking to enjoy it.

well you are asking why, IMO that is why there are tickets available for ULL. Buncha UK fans gave up on the program/sport and have not yet come back, and may never come back. Remember ULL probably did not buy many visitor tickets whereas Florida fans are planning on making the trip en mass.
I agree with you JHB4UK... I wonder if those that deem your suggestion of little merit are STHolders, attend some games or internet fans only?...
I've seen lackluster crowds at games that in the recent past would have pretty much filled the stadium... Stoops is working hard and the product IS improving. The play is more fun to watch... Yet the crowds aren't quite what I'd expect during his time... If I were to guess (and I will) there was a loss of thousands of STHolders... They haven't been replaced and aren't getting back in line... It's what happens when the customer is disrespected... I also think the economy ran a few off but this big dip in attendance happened post 2008... So believe what you will... But the STH is the base upon which attendance is built and it sure looks to me the hole hasn't been plugged.... I'll even go on to say that the new stadium is a draw but we might have also lost a few more STH's due to the parking situation... Stoops is trying to build a program and if he does the fanbase might steady... But it's a fragile dance Mr. Barnhart steps to.

Tickets are too expensive now...Period

I also agree with this. They have priced me out of going to UK football and basketball games. I only went to the USC football game due to the discounted tickets last year. I refuse to pay $50 for 1 ticket especially for an opponent like ULL. If I go with my wife, when you include tickets, parking, gas, and food, it is $160+ just for a few hours of entertainment.

I can watch the game at home in comfort in front of the big screen for free. Then take the wife out for dinner and a movie for like a third of that cost. With as much money as they make from all the endorsements, TV rights, etc., no college program should have to charge prices like that. At least not for games against lower quality opponents in the upper deck.

Reactions: uk_king_cat2
I won't make it because I have to work. A lot of avid UK fans live in the eastern part of the state and with the decline in coal mining jobs can't afford to make the trip.

I also agree with this. They have priced me out of going to UK football and basketball games. I only went to the USC football game due to the discounted tickets last year. I refuse to pay $50 for 1 ticket especially for an opponent like ULL. If I go with my wife, when you include tickets, parking, gas, and food, it is $160+ just for a few hours of entertainment.

I can watch the game at home in comfort in front of the big screen for free. Then take the wife out for dinner and a movie for like a third of that cost. With as much money as they make from all the endorsements, TV rights, etc., no college program should have to charge prices like that. At least not for games against lower quality opponents in the upper deck.
I can see this point very well. Speaks to attendance issues. Probably smart financial decision. Best to you.

I will be in St. Louis for a late birthday trip to see the real Cardinals play that Sunday. But we are leaving early enough so we can watch the UK game at the hotel or a sports bar. I think there's a BWs near the hotel though.

To those complaining about paying for parking...there are plenty of places to park for free, you just have to walk 10-15 minutes which isn't going to hurt anyone. If you don't have a parking pass and you're paying for parking, free parking is just 2-3 minutes more of walking than where you paid $10-$15 to park.

I will say this...on the season tickets the ULL, EKU and Charlotte games have a face value of $20. Florida and Missouri games have a $40 face value and Auburn, UT and UL games a $60 face value. Now season ticket holders should have lower per/game prices but single game prices probably shouldn't be anymore than 25% higher which would make them $25, $50 and $75 respectively.

the tickets being expensive thing is definitely a factor. yes I know before someone objects, I've seen all the studies & reports on how UK's football tickets were and still are among the cheapest in the SEC. But going back to the Brooks years, that was the time Mitch instituted the K Fund, standardized mandatory "donations" based on what location you were in Commonwealth that previously was only voluntary and/or haphazardly applied.

Then the Joker era begins, and many fans were pissed off with the perception that they were being asked to pay higher & higher ticket prices + mandatory "donation" for football....but none of that extra money was going towards that sport! Instead it was being lavished on all the negative-revenue sports at UK, who were being rewarded with splashy new facilities, their coaches being given top of the conference salaries. All while football sat with zero investments in facilities, one of the lowest paid coaches in the conference, worst paid staff in the SEC.

Definitely another factor that turned off a bunch of fans who were long time ticket holders who gave them up & have not yet returned. Yes I'm excited football is finally getting the investments they deserve and need along with an outstanding coach & staff, very thrilled and optimistic about our future. But it is understandable those who felt burned and taken advantage of....hard to get over resentment folks.

Reactions: robo222
To those complaining about paying for parking...there are plenty of places to park for free, you just have to walk 10-15 minutes which isn't going to hurt anyone. If you don't have a parking pass and you're paying for parking, free parking is just 2-3 minutes more of walking than where you paid $10-$15 to park.

You mean, it won't hurt anyone . . . other than two longtime season ticket holders who I know that are both in their 80s who did not get parking passes near the stadium (one got put in the parking structure across Cooper Drive) who basically said "the hell with it". (they called UK and the K Fund and both politely said, tough luck). People past a certain age obviously can't walk a mile to and from the games.

Another problem this season was the reticketing of the new stadium. Personally, it helped me out, but I heard that once the dust settled, and fans saw where they ended up, plus the new cost, a LOT of fans elected not to purchase once the invoices came out. Which is how I moved from row 38 back to row 20 where I wanted all along.

You mean, it won't hurt anyone . . . other than two longtime season ticket holders who I know that are both in their 80s who did not get parking passes near the stadium (one got put in the parking structure across Cooper Drive) who basically said "the hell with it". (they called UK and the K Fund and both politely said, tough luck). People past a certain age obviously can't walk a mile to and from the games.

Another problem this season was the reticketing of the new stadium. Personally, it helped me out, but I heard that once the dust settled, and fans saw where they ended up, plus the new cost, a LOT of fans elected not to purchase once the invoices came out. Which is how I moved from row 38 back to row 20 where I wanted all along.
My father-in-law is 82 and still runs 3 miles a day and can beat most men half his age at tennis. He has always said that you get old when you start acting old...that said...yeah, there is going to come a time for everyone when they are physically unable to do what it takes to attend the games. If you're 40 and worried about walking 15 minutes to and from a game then that time is going to come for you a lot sooner than for those who stay active.
As for re-ticketing the stadium...there really wasn't much choice. Sure, there were some winners and losers in the process...that would have been true regardless of how they would have done the ticketing process. I think they did it as fairly as it could have been done.

I think this could be a big reason, but with the remodeling, and all the seats being lost to club seating, suites, etc. there was really little other option. No matter what happened, a large group of fans were going to be disappointed. And like it or not, this was the fairest and most responsible way to do it. I went from the 15 yard line to the 50 after having season tickets for 32 years. I have worked hard to donate when and where I could so that I would be ready when that day came. Fans that didn't see this coming from a mile away have had blinders on.....and anyone who had great seats for many years and took it for granted that they would always have them and could have afforded to donate, but did not and I know several of them.....have only themselves to blame. My point for those that DO want to go but are worried about the cost, is that it is no more expensive for season tickets today than it was 5 years ago. Tickets are still affordable if you want to go bad enough.

Reactions: RV2
Let's just be honest here...

We are a bandwagon fan base when it comes to football. We get to a bowl this season, you will see progressively more fan investment. Just the way it goes. I don't mind. Well only when the bandwagoners act like they were on board from the start, that bothers me some.

I think this could be a big reason, but with the remodeling, and all the seats being lost to club seating, suites, etc. there was really little other option. No matter what happened, a large group of fans were going to be disappointed. And like it or not, this was the fairest and most responsible way to do it. I went from the 15 yard line to the 50 after having season tickets for 32 years. I have worked hard to donate when and where I could so that I would be ready when that day came. Fans that didn't see this coming from a mile away have had blinders on.....and anyone who had great seats for many years and took it for granted that they would always have them and could have afforded to donate, but did not and I know several of them.....have only themselves to blame. My point for those that DO want to go but are worried about the cost, is that it is no more expensive for season tickets today than it was 5 years ago. Tickets are still affordable if you want to go bad enough.
Just a fyi for everyone... while donating money will get you moved up the K-Fund list it isn't the most efficient way to do so.
You can donate $1000 and get 30 K-Fund points...
or you can buy...
Gymnastics season tickets 2x$15=$30 - 5pts
Soccer season tickets 2x$30=$60 - 5pts
Volleyball season tickets 2x$35=$70 - 5pts
Softball season tickets 2x$35=$70 - 5pts
Womans basketball season tickets 2x$65=$130 - 5pts
Join the 110% club $110 - 5pts.

Total spent $470 = 30 pts
Hell, if you don't want to use the tickets, give them away.

Just a fyi for everyone... while donating money will get you moved up the K-Fund list it isn't the most efficient way to do so.
You can donate $1000 and get 30 K-Fund points...
or you can buy...
Gymnastics season tickets 2x$15=$30 - 5pts
Soccer season tickets 2x$30=$60 - 5pts
Volleyball season tickets 2x$35=$70 - 5pts
Softball season tickets 2x$35=$70 - 5pts
Womans basketball season tickets 2x$65=$130 - 5pts
Join the 110% club $110 - 5pts.

Total spent $470 = 30 pts
Hell, if you don't want to use the tickets, give them away.
Also, if you join the Alumni Association, you get a one-time bump of 20 K Fund points... Or, you could just bitch and moan about how unfair UK is...

Reactions: EdNygma and fuzz77

Jut to add... If there is one case there are probably more... Guy I know didn't renew... His seat and park pass he'd had for years (many) was changed... His problem (my opinion) was that he didn't follow the suggested reticketing policy/proceedure... He conducted his ticket business as usual...
In other words... Some people of affluence are used to having stuff fall there way without any direct input from themselves (someone does it for them)... He did nothing and was assigned seats and a park pass.. So he is no longer a STH... Another one bites the dust! Got a call from Stoops himself... Could things have been handled differently? Maybe?

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.

While I haven't any complaints perhaps many do... I'll always be a fan but I won't always be a STH... My time in the saddle is soon to end... But I really do question if the next generation of fan will pony up? If there is a reason Stoops leaves it'll be because his hard work looks unappreciated... As a fan I appreciate what I see and will continue to support his efforts. I hope others do when possible and within their means... But this football program has been mishandled for years and used as a cash cow... Don't put this on the fans....

To be clear, I have no problem with the way UK reticketed the stadium, I was a good fan, logged in at the appointed hour, and got the two best seats available. I am just saying that I know for a fact it pissed some fans off. But as many have said, that was inevitable no matter what they did, once the decision was made to reduce the seating.

weeded out the small guys and took care of MB'S CLICHE, PEOPLE AREN'T ...........STUPID.........:flushed:

weeded out the small guys and took care of MB'S CLICHE, PEOPLE AREN'T ...........STUPID.........:flushed:
I consider myself to be a small guy but I just saw this coming at some point in the future (now here). I mainly wanted to hang on to my parking spot but I knew at some point they would also have to re-do the tickets. Like Fuzz said, there are ways to increase your points a little at a time fairly inexpensively.

You have to pay to play! Period.

It was way past time to get the low rent squatters out of the premium seating. I have no problem with it, and enjoy their crying.

Reactions: RV2
It was way past time to get the low rent squatters out of the premium seating. I have no problem with it, and enjoy their crying.
kind of a problem if there ain't no waiting list to grab that now big rent premium seating tho

You'll have to be more specific, so there is no waiting list for the sold out suites or club seats, what do you mean?

Reactions: fuzz77
kind of a problem if there ain't no waiting list to grab that now big rent premium seating tho
How many "big rent premium" seats are available?
Zero.
In fact, the overwhelming majority of unsold seats are in areas that require zero K-Fund donations...of those requiring a donation, half are in the least expensive seats.

Wish I could go but it's a 9 hour drive, rental car, hotel, food.....I'd be into it for 300 before I could even get comfortable. I will say this though. This team, these players and this coaching staff DESERVE a sellout for every game. It can only help with recruiting and that is what will lift the program. Whining about the Joker years is a cop out.

BigBlueFanGA I couldn't agree with you more! Very good post. Improved team, solid opponent . quality depth, great weather and a night game. A high quality Stadium great atmosphere Go Blue!

As a season tix holder for over a decade - I completely understand.....there is a HORRIBLE TASTE after Joker coached teams....It will take winning to bring the fans out of the lots and into the stadium....there will be 70K people there - but they will not all show up into the new CWS.

The ones I am most perturbed with are the danged students.....I told my daughter if she does not go to each home game I will remove that per diem rate of her weekly allowance the following week. I already paid for her tix - so its' her choice to lose that money for that day. Its only a little over $ 20 bucks per day but that is money she won't have given to her. Hell if she misses more than 2 games I may not pay her rent for a month too!!!!:angry:

Our players want to the see the student section full more than the rest of CWS....I have heard too many players allude to this.

All of the talk about the construction not being finished is keeping the casual fan from coming to the opener. Hopefully, in the next week people will want to come to the concert and all of the festivities going on that day.

This ^^^^^^

Student allotment has been reduced to 4,000 seats so I am pretty sure it is not possible for them to get to 5,000.
Pretty sure student allotment is curently at 6 K...can't believe folks aren't excited ...for those of you waiting for cheap tickets you need to go to other SEC schools and ck out prices...Hell even Vandy and Otis tickets are higher. This isn't 30 yrs ago people. I know there are people on this board that can afford to go , but want things on the cheap ... those days are gone and besides UK is having specials on tickets right now. As for parking it is what it is. I park very close to the stadium and for 8 games it cost me 240. I don't really like it, but it is what I love to do, watching sec and KENTUCKY FOOTBALL...@ALLIN

Several of the posts in this thread got me to thinking about why in January of 2010 I decided not to renew the season tickets I had held since the first year Commonwealth Stadium opened. As the below excerpt from a post I made in August of 2010 indicates, my decision had nothing to do with Joker Phillips being named head coach.

"Barnhart/Todd Kill the Goose

Last Spring several of us longtime season ticket holders posted on this message board that we had decided not to renew our season football tickets, due primarily to (1) the exorbitant price increases we have experienced over the past several years, (2) the fact that UK Athletics has done little or nothing recently to enhance the fan experience and seems intent on using the proceeds from football to further Barnhart's and Todd's agenda of sucking the football program dry in order to improve the minor sports programs, rather than providing football the additional recruiting tools that it has earned and that are needed to field a top notch program, and (3) the pathetically weak non-conference schedule. Because we refused to “pay what it takes” we were ridiculed by several posters with comments to the effect that: (1) You want to watch SEC football and pay Conference USA prices. (2) Don't you understand basic economics? It's supply and demand. (3) You want an elite program but won't pay the price to have one.

Well, the “supply and demanders” may be right. And Barnhart and Todd may have killed the proverbial golden goose of UK Athletics or at least given it a bad case of swine flu (pun intended)."

Following is an excerpt from a post I made in November of 2011 as more and more long-time season ticket holders jumped off the Barnhart bandwagon:

"At the risk of alienating nearly every poster on this forum, my thoughts on this topic and subsequent responses are as follows:

Regarding Barnhart:

(1) Give credit where credit is due, when viewed collectively he has improved UK's minor sports programs.

(2) Place blame where blame should be placed, he (a) lacks the ability or political skill/power to sustain the modest success the football program enjoyed for a brief period or (b) views the football program as simply a means to elevate the minor sports programs. The answer probably lies somewhere in between these two extremes.

(3) He with the support of or at the direction of the UKAA are in the process of "killing the goose that laid the golden eggs". (I mentioned this possibility [a while back] on this forum, when I decided to reject the last round of football season ticket, K-fund extortion and parking pass increases and was ridiculed by the "supply and demand" economic intellectuals that post here.)

(4) The damage he and the UKAA have inflicted on the football program may be irreversible or, at a minimum, could take years to overcome.

(5) Those of you who recognize that Maryland's athletic program is in financial trouble and believe that UofL may be headed in the same direction, have your heads in the sand if you fail to recognize that UK's athletic funding may very well be headed in a downward spiral that just may be irreversible, unless it is bailed out by some “big time” donors.

(6) Because of his and the UKAA's lack of attention to the continuing needs of the football program coupled with an extravagant spending binge on minor sports, without “big-time”donors stepping forward or a heretofore undisclosed substantial endowment being drawn upon, the UKAA clearly appears headed toward a significant financial shortfall beginning next fiscal year at the latest.

(7) Crisis management followed by years of neglect, which regarding the football program has been practiced by the UKAA for as long as I can remember (50+years) and by Barnhart since he has been at UK, is no way to sustain your most profitable, by far, line of business.

Regarding the Joker Phillips controversy, IMHO:

(1) With the proper administrative and financial support he could be successful at UK.

(2) Neither Mike Leach nor any other “big-time” coach is the answer to what ails UK football. Consider otherwise successful coaches (Blanton Collier, Fran Curci, Jerry Claiborne, Bill Curry) who have “failed” at the “graveyard of FB coaches”, principally because of the lack of SUSTAINED (not yelling, caps are for emphasis) support from the UKAA, if you believe otherwise. Also note that Nick Saban and Les Miles were only marginally successful prior to getting the opportunity at LSU, where football is not only respected but emphasized, similar to UK's basketball program in these respects, by the athletic department and school administration."

Hopes this gives some of you more recent fans a better understanding of why so many of us long-time fans have not returned to our Saturday ritual of attending UK FB games and choose to follow our favorite team on TV or the radio.

While I am ecstatic with the current direction of UK FB, except for the stadium downsizing, it remains to be seen whether our AD and the UK athletics administration will provide the follow-through support necessary to sustain the FB program to degree required to be competitive long-term in the SEC. Otherwise, the recent improvements will be simply another example of the "crisis management" approach to supporting UK FB that we have seen way too often over the past 60+ years.

Reactions: catben

Where are you taking your wife to McD's and discount movie? So you won't pay 50 for a ticket, but will pay 30 for cokes and popcorn at a movie theater?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT