ADVERTISEMENT

Why all the hate?

calismyhero

Junior
Jan 16, 2010
Where is all the hate and disdain for Will Levis coming from? It’s on here it’s trending nationwide and it’s very misguided and misdirected. Since when did it become wrong to believe in yourself and your abilities? Some of you butthurt old has beens crying because he didn’t play in the bowl game should be ashamed. The hate should be directed at the paid know it alls who spent the last 6 months hugging his nuts then turned their backs on him on draft day. It’s embarrassing to read some of the threads on this board.

Where is all the hate and disdain for Will Levis coming from? It’s on here it’s trending nationwide and it’s very misguided and misdirected. Since when did it become wrong to believe in yourself and your abilities? Some of you butthurt old has beens crying because he didn’t play in the bowl game should be ashamed. The hate should be directed at the paid know it alls who spent the last 6 months hugging his nuts then turned their backs on him on draft day. It’s embarrassing to read some of the threads on this board.
It's because hate is all the world has seen lately. It's so dumb

Can’t say I’ve read everything here regarding WL but not sure I’ve seen any hate, rather opinions on his ability that he has displayed thus far. Tough kid for certain, but I also didn’t have him as someone that would go first round or even 2nd for that matter. Same could be said for at least 1-2 of the other 3 QB’s.

As far as the bowl is concerned I don’t like the opt out trend at all but it is what it is. For now it’s meaningless bowl games, in 5-10 years it will be for most of their last season.

Of course fans hate seeing their top players opt out of the bowl games. But that has been a pretty common practice of top players who aren't in the playoffs. He may have been UK's first I don't know. But I think it was pretty clear he was struggling with nagging injuries. Right or wrong, I think he and his family/advisers decided to take that extra month to get as healthy as possible for the combine and pro day.

He's a handsome young guy with a gorgeous GF and just secured becoming wealthy and famous for the rest of his life

Wow, wonder why all the poor ugly talentless Mids out there are taking shots at him? A real mystery!
Most of it is coming from Vols fans. They for whatever reason hate Levis. Some of it starts with the radio personalities that fuel the fire. It’s really sad. But since they went to Twitter and got Greg Schiano Hire reversed they believe they can now do it with the Titans because they don’t like a pick. Well, the Titans are Not The University of Tennessee. They’re not going to succumb to bitching Vols fans on Twitter.

Last edited:
Most of it is coming from Vols fans. They for whatever reason hate Levis. Some of it starts with the radio personalities that fuel the fire. It’s really sad. But since they went to Twitter and got Greg Schiano Hire reversed they believe they can now do it with the Titans because they don’t like a pick. Well, the Titans are Not The University of Tennessee. They’re not going to succumb to bitching Vols fans on Twitter.
This reply should be awarded 1,000,000 internet points. Couldn’t be more correct.

I went to a Titans message board to see the comments. The dislike for Levis was over the top. Kid hadn’t played a game and already a large amount of hate.
The Titan fans wanted Hooker. They probably would have gotten him without the knee injury. A lot of Tennesse fans are Titan fans and they hate anything Kentucky. Performance on the field can change their attitude.

Last edited:
Reactions: EliteBlue
Not sure I’d want to be a Titans fan knowing so many Vols are fans. It’s hard enough being a UKBB fan knowing we have fans that like UKBB and (insert powerhouse team) in football.

At least when I meet UKFB fans, I know I’ve got the genuine article.

The Titan fans wanted Hooker. They probably would have gotten him without the knee injury. A lot of Tennesse fans are Titan fans and they hate anything Kentucky. Performance on the fiekdcan change their attitude.
Don't expect TN fans to know the difference in Levis/Hooker. Pros don't cotton to gimmick QBs. Hooker didn't take snaps under C, Titans offense does and Levis has experience with that. Plus Hooker is older and a bum leg. Hooker also failed to workout for teams plus scored coal bucket dumb on testing. Don't expect TN to know all that otherwise they wouldn't be TN fans.

Hooker played in a gimmick offense. Levis would have had amazing stats in it too.

Levis played on a dog crap offensive team overall last year and survived somehow.

Reactions: RunninRichie
I went to a Titans message board to see the comments. The dislike for Levis was over the top. Kid hadn’t played a game and already a large amount of hate.
Let's recognize this... if he balls out in NashVegas, he will be a living, breathing advertisement for UK football in their state capital. What might follow? Barion Brown goes home to reunite with him? We're a long way from all of that, but it could get funny.

Levis has been taking a lot of shots over the past several days for sure. A lot of it is just the masses piling on.

I’m nervous for WL coming to Tennessee though. The Vols/Titans fans won’t be very forgiving if he struggles. I hope he wins them over.

Last edited:
Hate is a strong word, but it's obvious to me that Levis loves money quite a bit more that football. I would have given anything to have the opportunity to play in a bowl game for the Cats. I don't respect his choice. Just simply don't.

• Haha
Reactions: EastLansingCat
For my part:

I liked Levis, and really appreciated his performance in 2021.

I don't blame him entirely for how the 2022 regular season went...a lot of that was because of his injuries and the OC. I also don't entirely blame him for not playing in the bowl. However, it did slightly lessen my opinion of him. Sorry, but I think that's fair. It was a "career over UK" move and I'm a UK fan. Does everyone HAVE to care about UK? Of course not. But if they don't care as much about UK, I don't care as much about them...and why the hell should I? Do I care about some random player at Alabama or Oklahoma or Oregon? No, obviously.

Residually from the 2021 season, I truly wish him well. Except when/if he faces my Bengals.

Reactions: Skyguyb27
Let's recognize this... if he balls out in NashVegas, he will be a living, breathing advertisement for UK football in their state capital. What might follow? Barion Brown goes home to reunite with him? We're a long way from all of that, but it could get funny.

I don't think it has anything to do with where he went to school, he just wasn't who they were hoping to draft.

For my part:

I liked Levis, and really appreciated his performance in 2021.

I don't blame him entirely for how the 2022 regular season went...a lot of that was because of his injuries and the OC. I also don't entirely blame him for not playing in the bowl. However, it did slightly lessen my opinion of him. Sorry, but I think that's fair. It was a "career over UK" move and I'm a UK fan. Does everyone HAVE to care about UK? Of course not. But if they don't care as much about UK, I don't care as much about them...and why the hell should I? Do I care about some random player at Alabama or Oklahoma or Oregon? No, obviously.

Residually from the 2021 season, I truly wish him well. Except when/if he faces my Bengals.
So Will doing what the coaches asked him to do/run the system they wanted was a “career over UK” decision? Interesting take.

Hate is a strong word, but it's obvious to me that Levis loves money quite a bit more that football. I would have given anything to have the opportunity to play in a bowl game for the Cats. I don't respect his choice. Just simply don't.
It's obvious to you? Do you like money? Is the profit motive a character flaw now? After all, we are not communists.

UK fans didn't like losing the MCB to the same school we recently beat in the Citrus Bowl. As far as that goes, count me in. But some are still sore with Levis for skipping the game, and it's time to let go of that. This isn't the first time a UK player skipped a bowl game. Levis isn't even the only UK player who skipped this particular bowl game. Some IA players skipped it too. Sign of the times. I'm not excusing it, but some people really need to get a life. Time to move on.

Overrated (in many’s eyes) white QB that played on a mid UK team who got talked up as being the number 1 pick in the draft. Sitting in the green room with gorgeous women all around him. Bible verse tatted on his arm.

Lots of reasons for a disgusting media and internet trolls to go after him and celebrate when things “didn’t go his way.”

Reactions: RunninRichie
Overrated (in many’s eyes) white QB that played on a mid UK team who got talked up as being the number 1 pick in the draft. Sitting in the green room with gorgeous women all around him. Bible verse tatted on his arm.

Lots of reasons for a disgusting media and internet trolls to go after him and celebrate when things “didn’t go his way.”
A sign of the times. Unfortunate. Time to move forward.

Reactions: BlueRunner11
He's a handsome young guy with a gorgeous GF and just secured becoming wealthy and famous for the rest of his life

Wow, wonder why all the poor ugly talentless Mids out there are taking shots at him? A real mystery!

Hope he makes it to his second contract, but this ain’t bad: “The second pick of the round will receive a $9.8 million contract with a $4.15 million signing bonus.”

Of course fans hate seeing their top players opt out of the bowl games. But that has been a pretty common practice of top players who aren't in the playoffs. He may have been UK's first I don't know. But I think it was pretty clear he was struggling with nagging injuries. Right or wrong, I think he and his family/advisers decided to take that extra month to get as healthy as possible for the combine and pro day.
Anyone who has a problem with him missing the bowl game to get healthy is myopic and ignorant. It wasn't like he left school. He was at every practice and team meeting and on the sideline at the game. #ManufacturedOutrage

So Will doing what the coaches asked him to do/run the system they wanted was a “career over UK” decision? Interesting take.
Didn't word it clearly enough. My career over UK comment was about not playing in the bowl game. I hadn't heard about THAT being what the coaches wanted (and would be surprised if it was).

Anyone who has a problem with him missing the bowl game to get healthy is myopic and ignorant. It wasn't like he left school. He was at every practice and team meeting and on the sideline at the game. #ManufacturedOutrage
I only have a moderate problem with it - basically like saying he won't be one of my all-time favorites. I won't remember him negatively or anything. That's fair, right? It's not hate, just a little lower in the UK pantheon.

I only have a moderate problem with it - basically like saying he won't be one of my all-time favorites. I won't remember him negatively or anything. That's fair, right? It's not hate, just a little lower in the UK pantheon.
You can have any opinion you want. I tend to lean empathetic. He had multiple injuries that caused him to miss a game and eliminated his ability to run/scramble effectively, plus his injuries, even with sitting out, didn't heal enough to keep NFL teams from passing on him in the first round. He took us to our best season since the 1970s, so he's top 2-3 UK QBs of my lifetime.

Reactions: southindycat
You can have any opinion you want. I tend to lean empathetic. He had multiple injuries that caused him to miss a game and eliminated his ability to run/scramble effectively, plus his injuries, even with sitting out, didn't heal enough to keep NFL teams from passing on him in the first round. He took us to our best season since the 1970s, so he's top 2-3 UK QBs of my lifetime.
Couch, Levis, Woodson, until further notice, with nods to 3-4 more for being gamers, particularly Stephen Johnson, Terry Wilson, Bill Ransdell and Derrick Ramsey (UK QB 1.0 to my experience; I'm too "young" to know anything about Fanuzzi, Norton, etc.).

I absolutely agree that he's one of our best ever, and that 2022 would've gone very differently without his injury (and with Coen instead of Scan). I don't blame him for how the regular season went. I know he tried. He may not be perfect but he's better than he got the opportunity to show.

My first post was just poorly worded and also a bit more negatively focused than I intended. All I was really trying to say is that when it comes down to it, I'll remember the players who gave their all in a bowl game (like Bowden did) a little more fondly, with respect to that particular decision. I know a lot of people don't care about bowls very much (there's this all-or-nothing vibe like if you're not in the playoff you might as well go home) but having grown up in an era when UK making a bowl game was extremely rare, I cherish them. The 21-0 demolition was a really disappointing finish to a disappointing year, and we all know it would've gone better with (even a limited version of) Levis.

Reactions: satcheluk
Couch, Levis, Woodson, until further notice, with nods to 3-4 more for being gamers, particularly Stephen Johnson, Terry Wilson, Bill Ransdell and Derrick Ramsey (UK QB 1.0 to my experience; I'm too "young" to know anything about Fanuzzi, Norton, etc.).
I agree, though I could be talked into a Levis/Woodson tie and I moved to Lexington in 1981, so Ransdell is my first memory.

I absolutely agree that he's one of our best ever, and that 2022 would've gone very differently without his injury (and with Coen instead of Scan). I don't blame him for how the regular season went. I know he tried. He may not be perfect but he's better than he got the opportunity to show.

My first post was just poorly worded and also a bit more negatively focused than I intended. All I was really trying to say is that when it comes down to it, I'll remember the players who gave their all in a bowl game (like Bowden did) a little more fondly, with respect to that particular decision. I know a lot of people don't care about bowls very much (there's this all-or-nothing vibe like if you're not in the playoff you might as well go home) but having grown up in an era when UK making a bowl game was extremely rare, I cherish them. The 21-0 demolition was a really disappointing finish to a disappointing year, and we all know it would've gone better with (even a limited version of) Levis.
I dig where you're coming from. I'm the same when it comes to bowl games. I was raised to give it your all and your commitment to the team is sacred. I coach my son's sports team's and it's astonishing how many kids routinely skip practice without prior notice and then, with no shame, they tell me the reason which is often inexcusable. So, I too, have more respect for those who finish the mission, but I also recognize Levis as having left enough blood on the field for this team that he gets a pass from me. Crod, on the other hand, receives less grace because I am not aware of an injury that kept him out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT