ADVERTISEMENT

Who will be the next UK baseball coach ???

Next UK baseball coach will be....

• Andrew Checketts

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Greg Lovelady

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Greg Goff

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • Someone else

Votes: 20 47.6%

• Total voters
Well, I am surprised, and a little dissapointed, but as already stated, he may be the Dan McDonnell of UK. He certainly has a lot of energy ala John Cohen, and he has been around a lot of winning teams.
He seems equal part recruiter and developer of players. He will need to make good assistant coach hires, especially pitching coach. I am willing certainly to give him the benefit of the doubt, and will be anxiously awaiting Fall practice to get a look at Nicky ball !!

Reactions: Tskware
"Averaging four players drafted in Major League Baseball for every year coached in college baseball, perhaps no other assistant on the collegiate level has more proven success at player development than Nick Mingione, who has been part of the Mississippi State baseball family since June 2008. Having completed his sixth season in Starkville and 13th total as an assistant coach in 2014, the current Diamond Dawg assistant has worked with 53 MLB Draft picks, coached 35 All-American Honors and developed five conference players of the year."

The question is... how much of this is on him? That is a hard question to answer. Henderson is still widely considered an excellent pitching coach and an excellent developer of pitchers. Yet, our pitching staff was always underwhelming as a whole.

I think the let down here is largely in part due to the fact that we were aiming so high. Had this been Roger Williams or one of the Vandy assistants then I think most the guys on here would be pretty happy. However, Mingione seems to be really far down the bucket and was not a name anyone mentioned before being hired.

He's never been the main man at any location directing traffic. Let's hope he's learned enough to put a program together instead of being a "cog" in the wheel.

The question is... how much of this is on him? That is a hard question to answer. Henderson is still widely considered an excellent pitching coach and an excellent developer of pitchers. Yet, our pitching staff was always underwhelming as a whole.

I think the let down here is largely in part due to the fact that we were aiming so high. Had this been Roger Williams or one of the Vandy assistants then I think most the guys on here would be pretty happy. However, Mingione seems to be really far down the bucket and was not a name anyone mentioned before being hired.

Literally anyone can be picked apart and questioned.

As far as all being happy on here.... Serious?

Trust me, he was not the first choice. Ask Kendall Rogers if you don't believe me.
Yep, I believe you now.....would love to know who the first choice was. Still think Mingione is a solid choice. Any idea the correct pronunciation of his last name?

Literally anyone can be picked apart and questioned.

As far as all being happy on here.... Serious?

The baseball board is a pretty small community, and for the most part we've agreed on a whole lot of things. It is an entirely different animal than RR and the Lair. There was a list of 5-6 coaches that the baseball board was extremely excited about. We got none of them.

Yes, anyone can be picked apart. Some of them will stand up better than others. For instance, Roger Williams has been an assistant coach at 3 different schools and they have either all gone to the CWS when he was there or just after he left.

Again, he may be a great choice, but it even appears that he was well down the list for Barnhart. That is disappointing that Barnhart couldn't close the deal on who we have all widely considered better candidates. However, I think many of us would probably agree that we're happy to be moving on from Henderson and into a new era.

If Kendall Rogers is so sure, he can't give a name? He can state it as a rumor. Im calling BS

I was Shocked when I first heard about the hire. I had a knot in my stomach the size of a grapefruit. But after reading up on Nick, I feel better about the hire now. Would I like a coach with head coaching experience, YES.
As an assistant coach, he has a great resume, and he got a glowing endorsement from John Cohen. In fact Cohen said that Mingione has been preparing for a HC job for 13 years, and has a Great tactical mind for the game.
His 1st job will be to keep the current recruits in the fold. I do not worry about his ability to bring in talent, he already knows the landscape in Lexington, being here before for a couple of years.
In conclusion, we will just have to wait and see how it goes, I wish him nothing but the best as our new Head baseball coach !!

Reactions: Comebakatz3
It does appear that he was down the list but does anyone really know who was on the list but Mitch?

The more I read the more I like the hire. I had never heard of him but watched a couple of interviews and came away pretty impressed. I trust Mitch, I think we need someone with a little fire. Henderson was solid but too laid back for my taste. Not who I was expecting but I am all in with the selection!

That's not reassuring. Jewett is widely regarded as one of the best assistants on the market and a home run hire.

The one thing I will say about Jewett, and I may be completely wrong, but after what happened at Vandy with Donny Everett, I'm not shocked he is still in Nashville. Just a thought.

That's not reassuring. Jewett is widely regarded as one of the best assistants on the market and a home run hire.
I am sure this is true, there are other openings even in the Sec. Mizzou and Alabama are looking, as well as Purdue, and Texas. If he is hired by one of these schools, we will see, if not, he may be content at Vandy.

There are a lot of assistants out there that could be great options. Not sure Mingione is one of them... ugh.
I'm guessing by this choice it was done on the cheap with him making much than GH was making...this is sure not going to excite the baseball fanbase. ..guess I won't be buying season tickets after all

Last edited:
One plus with the Mingione hire is that he was here in 2006, when John Shelby played for UK. That may help persuade younger brother Jarren to join the Cats !
I do think who he hires as his assistants will play a huge role in his success or lack of.

One plus with the Mingione hire is that he was here in 2006, when John Shelby played for UK. That may help persuade younger brother Jarren to join the Cats !
I do think who he hires as his assistants will play a huge role in his success or lack of.
Just hope that with this low level hire, that the stadium is not going to be as done of a deal as we all hoped, or worse, led to believe.

Hey slugger why do you think this is a low level hire have you seen the contract numbers?

I think a reason a lot of people are frustrated is it feels like Gary Henderson left and we hired... Well, basically Gary Henderson.

There is no way he is that bland. I bet he also won't sit his best starting pitcher in the first game of the region like Henderson did a few years ago in the Louisville region! You have to win the first one in that setup

Reactions: sluggercatfan
Bottom line, no one knows what will happen until the 2017 season rolls around. With players like E White, Z Reks, T Pompey, R Mahan, K Cottam, and L Becker plus any other new comers, he will have a pretty good nucleus of players to work with.
The mound Corp could be decent, but a solid pitching coach hire is a must. The defense MUST improve, actually it couldn't be a whole lot worse than in 2016. Coach NM is considered a very good tactician, something the previous staff was certainly not.

That is disappointing that Barnhart couldn't close the deal on who we have all widely considered better candidates.
I agree that "winning the press conference" would've been nice.....but it's hard to blame Barnhart for not closing with a bigger name. We can and should demand to get a huge name anytime the men's basketball coach opens. But for any other job at UK? Meh. What I've said about uk football for years I think applies to the uk baseball job as well: for a long time, there were a limited number of schools with huge athletics budgets, and those schools could "buy" a coach - meaning they had the ability to outspend just about anyone else. Because we were in the SEC, we were one of those schools. We never took advantage of that, and now that window of time is closed. All schools, all power 5 schools and several not in a power 5 conference, have huge budgets and can spend big dollars. The average D-1 football coach now makes over $2.3 million per year. So why would anyone with any real options come to UK to get their brains bashed in playing against the NFL Lite division, possibly ruining the career? I presume that same rationale would apply to baseball. That SEC check is really nice, but sometimes - especially respecting football and baseball - the though of being in another conference is appealing.....

My son camped with him and I really liked his approach to hitting. He loved film work idk what they do now but I do know ul has multiple cameras in their stadium and get every swing on tape. He was very positive.

Big risk hire Imo he needs a pitching coach bad.

I agree that "winning the press conference" would've been nice.....but it's hard to blame Barnhart for not closing with a bigger name. We can and should demand to get a huge name anytime the men's basketball coach opens. But for any other job at UK? Meh. What I've said about uk football for years I think applies to the uk baseball job as well: for a long time, there were a limited number of schools with huge athletics budgets, and those schools could "buy" a coach - meaning they had the ability to outspend just about anyone else. Because we were in the SEC, we were one of those schools. We never took advantage of that, and now that window of time is closed. All schools, all power 5 schools and several not in a power 5 conference, have huge budgets and can spend big dollars. The average D-1 football coach now makes over $2.3 million per year. So why would anyone with any real options come to UK to get their brains bashed in playing against the NFL Lite division, possibly ruining the career? I presume that same rationale would apply to baseball. That SEC check is really nice, but sometimes - especially respecting football and baseball - the though of being in another conference is appealing.....
You obviously follow only basketball closely. UK is competitive in baseball even with a sub-par coach the last 8 years. Cats have won series against # 1 Florida 4 years in a row. They beat South Carolina regularly when the teams play in Lexington, in 2015 LSU lost 1 Sec series all year, guess who....UK and in Baton Rouge. Cats went 15-15 this season in the best conference in the country. With the revenue UK gets, the huge majority from Football and the Sec, the cats can hire a " Big time coach in football and baseball, that doesn't guarantee success, see Bill Curry, also see Billy Clyde in Basketball.

I'm not necessarily blaming Barnhart. However, it is my opinion that if an SEC team wants a coach that isn't an SEC head coach, or even a P5 head coach, they should be able to get them. The league isn more competitive and has more money than any other. So, I think if UK wants Goff, for instance, they should be able to offer him so much money that he can't turn it down. Maybe that's not the best strategy, but I really feel like there is no reason Kentucky baseball should be turned down by big candidates.

If he's anything like Cohen, then UK's offense will be remarkably better. And the 1 thing I hope he has is A PHILOSOPHY and that he sticks to it!

Reactions: Black Diamond Cat
Travis Jewett and Greg Goff were also finalists.

I think either of those would have comforted the UK crowd more. I hope it was a situation where UK really tried and just couldn't get them to commit. Maybe the Stadium deal isn't as far along as either of those guys wanted?

Heard a rumor that Mitch made several offers to Pat Casey of Oregon St. but was turned down every time.

I think either of those would have comforted the UK crowd more. I hope it was a situation where UK really tried and just couldn't get them to commit. Maybe the Stadium deal isn't as far along as either of those guys wanted?
See my post above...most important question of the presser. If he hasn't been promised a starting and finishing date this has all been another big lie by the admin...also has anyone heard about the contract details. Interested to see if MB did this on the cheap.

There is no way he is that bland. I bet he also won't sit his best starting pitcher in the first game of the region like Henderson did a few years ago in the Louisville region! You have to win the first one in that setup
Just like he did not throw his best am in a MUST win game in the sec tourney this year

See my post above...most important question of the presser. If he hasn't been promised a starting and finishing date this has all been another big lie by the admin...also has anyone heard about the contract details. Interested to see if MB did this on the cheap.
Saw that the stadium issue was the first question at the pressure...what pressure that can be applied needs to be kept up on the stadium issue

You obviously follow only basketball closely. UK is competitive in baseball even with a sub-par coach the last 8 years. Cats have won series against # 1 Florida 4 years in a row. They beat South Carolina regularly when the teams play in Lexington, in 2015 LSU lost 1 Sec series all year, guess who....UK and in Baton Rouge. Cats went 15-15 this season in the best conference in the country. With the revenue UK gets, the huge majority from Football and the Sec, the cats can hire a " Big time coach in football and baseball, that doesn't guarantee success, see Bill Curry, also see Billy Clyde in Basketball.
your definition of success is to win a regular season series and to go 15-15 in conference? how often has UK been to Omaha, or even a super regional? I haven't looked at the stats, but my strong guess is our baseball tradition is close to the bottom of the SEC, just like football. My only point was we don't have the tradition to demand or even reasonably expect to get a name that will win the press conference. agree with your point that a big name doesn't necessarily guarantee anything....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT