ADVERTISEMENT

Who is our next OC?

Tee Martin? Hell no! If we have to go that far down our list to find a guy who will say yes, just give the job back to Eddie Gran. He may have a reputation for running the football, but at least we know he can win and adapt on the fly.
Can’t recruit or orchestrate an effective passing attack.

You hire for right now
That would be an amazing hire for Barney. 🤞

not four or five years from now. Coordinators come and go. We find the guy who’s going to get the most out of who we have now and if he sticks around you recruit to that system in the future.
That would be an amazing hire for Barney. 🤞
Dream on . The media and powers that be in the NFL have been trying to get him a head job up there for years

Dream on . The media and powers that be in the NFL have been trying to get him a head job up there for years
Those jobs have been filled so the best Eric can do this year is getting another OC job.

Can’t recruit or orchestrate an effective passing attack.
He didn't seem to have any issues orchestrating an effective passing attack when he was at Cincinnati.

Eddie Gran certainly isn't a great recruiter, or even a good one. But the man can flat out coach. There are very few coaches out there who could have taken the team we had after Barker went down to injury and had a successful season with them. Ultimately his ability to adapt worked against him, as he got labeled as a "ground and pound" type OC, though that isn't necessarily a fair assessment. He simply played to the strengths of the guys on our roster so that we could win.

Eddie Gran can build a winning offense whether it is pass heavy, run heavy or well balanced. Liam Coen could only seem to play within his system. Scang was the same way. Eddie Gran gave us 7 and 8 win seasons with a group of players Coen or Scang would have been lucky to won 3 or 4 games with. I wish Gran received more credit than he gets.

He didn't seem to have any issues orchestrating an effective passing attack when he was at Cincinnati.

Eddie Gran certainly isn't a great recruiter, or even a good one. But the man can flat out coach. There are very few coaches out there who could have taken the team we had after Barker went down to injury and had a successful season with them. Ultimately his ability to adapt worked against him, as he got labeled as a "ground and pound" type OC, though that isn't necessarily a fair assessment. He simply played to the strengths of the guys on our roster so that we could win.

Eddie Gran can build a winning offense whether it is pass heavy, run heavy or well balanced. Liam Coen could only seem to play within his system. Scang was the same way. Eddie Gran gave us 7 and 8 win seasons with a group of players Coen or Scang would have been lucky to won 3 or 4 games with. I wish Gran received more credit than he gets.
^This

these jobs shouldn’t be held for two weeks
They aren’t.

The advertising requirement just means oral agreements, some within 24 hours of opening, are typed and dated a few days later.

Not a biggie.

He has to wait a certain amount of time with the state mandated law
The law does not prohibit conversation and essential agreement.

Just delays the official.

Hell, we knew Coen was coming back before his termination with the Rams, or advertising for UK.

I am glad I don’t get your joke/reference.
Scott Johns was a professional Magic the Gathering player. Apparently good enough to get his own Wikipedia page. I discovered this when I was trying to find out who the hell Scott Johns was when someone mentioned him (mistakenly) as a potential OC candidate.

Now you know.

• Haha
Reactions: Caveman Catfan
The law does not prohibit conversation and essential agreement.

Just delays the official.

Hell, we knew Coen was coming back before his termination with the Rams, or advertising for UK.
That doesn’t keep us fans from fretting and sweating for two weeks while we anxiously await.

I got a feeling it’s Faulkner. The Vandergriff connection is too big to overlook here. I could be wrong, but that’s where my money’s at.

I think it would be a short term homerun hire. Buster already is more familiar with Vandagriff than anyone at UK, Knows his strengths and weaknesses. The only negative I know of with him is he doesn't stay in one spot very long. But no young motivated coach does, they are looking to build that resume.

It's hard to tell what kind of recruiter he was at UGA, Monken did very little and seldom left campus. I do know Bobo recruited Gunner Stockton to Athens. But not sure about Vandagriff. Tech pays him peanuts compared to other D1 coordinator, Atlanta is a terrible place to raise a family, homeless camps within half mile of Tech, education system is one of states worst, I am sure his kids attend private schools. So I think it would be easy to lure him away if he is CMS's choice. That doesn't even include the almost nightly armed robbery of Tech students. Now its a great education, but location sucks.

Any rumors on Helton at WKU? I saw his name mentioned a couple times but then nothing after.

Would being a SEC OC be better for his career than being WKU HC?

You lost me at bad recruiter. Non starter in the SEC.

I still think it most likely comes down to Rees or Faulkner.

I don't think it is a total coincidence that Wolford came back here shortly before Coen departed. I think Stoops has known for some time that Coen was leaving. I believe Wolford's arrival strongly points toward who the most likely OC is, as it would make no sense to hire an OL coach prior to the coordinator. I think he knew he would be working with Rees the moment he was hired and this has been going on behind the scenes for a while.

Otherwise, Faulker makes sense too because of his connections to Vandagriff. But I still feel Rees is the more likely choice.

I got a feeling it’s Faulkner. The Vandergriff connection is too big to overlook here. I could be wrong, but that’s where my money’s at.
I hope you are right on this one.

Faulkner can make an immediate improvement on our offense if Stoops will give him the leeway to put in his system.

And bring us in to the 2020's on college offense.

Reactions: 2blue4u and catben
Some Vol jackhole was going on about Tee Martin to UK. Referenced an article from AtoZ Sports, never heard of it, but the site states some interest is there.

Hard no for me on Martin. Thoughts?
One word - NO!

Go Big Blue!

Any rumors on Helton at WKU? I saw his name mentioned a couple times but then nothing after.

Would being a SEC OC be better for his career than being WKU HC?
He was OC under Pruitt at Knoxville. Pass.

Reactions: catben
If we're looking for stability, then relatively young up and commers aren't the route. They're going to bounce in 2-3 years if they do even just a decent job.

CMS may actually want to at least consider an older guy who is kind of past his job hopping, full of piss and vinegar, going to change the game, and looking for a top tier P5 or NFL gig, prime.

Someone who's had a career, maybe he's been a HC or at least OC at some big spots, but now is looking for some stability and security.

If we're looking for stability, then relatively young up and commers aren't the route. They're going to bounce in 2-3 years if they do even just a decent job.

CMS may actually want to at least consider an older guy who is kind of past his job hopping, full of piss and vinegar, going to change the game, and looking for a top tier P5 or NFL gig, prime.

Someone who's had a career, maybe he's been a HC or at least OC at some big spots, but now is looking for some stability and security.
We should not be looking for stability. Look at the Top 25. You probably won't find two teams with an offensive coordinator with more than 3 years at the school.m. For all the gnashing of teeth, good teams churn through coordinators every couple years. Because of recent history, we need someone who stays longer than one, but after that, prepared to hire again

I agree with most of what you said, except your last two sentences which is an old school football cliche that carries increasingly less validity. Before I state my case, I will say that being able to run is a necessity because being one dimensional would likely make stopping the pass too easy, but the two statistics most correlated to winning are passing efficiency and defensive passing efficiency. For the elite teams, they can still run at will against lesser opponents, but they pass to win against each other and their defenses have exceptional pass coverage. There are individual exceptions to every data set, but college football has evolved in to the passing era due to the clear advantages the data analysis has shown.

The only college football team that won a title with mainly a passing attack was LSU and that collection of player and coaching talent was extremely elite. They had elite back too but understandably had to take a back seat.

Is it possible to win by running only? Probably but it would require a similar extremely elite collection of talent and coaching.

I'm not saying anyone should run wing t or triple option, but running the football and stopping the run are by the far the best indicators of winning football. Of course you have to be able to balance that, but it all starts there.

The irony to me was decades we heard UK fans lament over not being able to run the ball. All that time, 3rd and 1 was practically guaranteed we were punting. We finally started being able to run then started being dominant. Now UK fans hate the notion of running the ball lol

The only college football team that won a title with mainly a passing attack was LSU and that collection of player and coaching talent was extremely elite. They had elite back too but understandably had to take a back seat.

Is it possible to win by running only? Probably but it would require a similar extremely elite collection of talent and coaching.

I'm not saying anyone should run wing t or triple option, but running the football and stopping the run are by the far the best indicators of winning football. Of course you have to be able to balance that, but it all starts there.

The irony to me was decades we heard UK fans lament over not being able to run the ball. All that time, 3rd and 1 was practically guaranteed we were punting. We finally started being able to run then started being dominant. Now UK fans hate the notion of running the ball lol
I don't think anybody cares how it happens but we have to have better offense. If we run for 300 yds a game we don't care. I care if we're 80-100 in the country in offense because we can't win in the sec that way. There has to be some explosiveness from one part of the offense or the other and modern complexities of offense and how rules are imposed greatly favor passing games compared to the past. What we can't do is expect to methodically march against sec defenses all of the time and hope to get out of that 6 or 7 wins. In 2018 we had a top 10 national type defense with the only legit pass rush in Stoops' 12 seasons. In 2021, we had our only legitimate passing offense in Stoops' 12 seasons. Again, the way we had been playing had a ceiling. And the more one dimensional we are the less likely we can do either well in our conference.

The pick is in.
Waiting GIF

So you think it is Moorhead- right?

Go Big Blue!

This makes sense to me too. It keeps your new QB happy and Stoops has openly stated that UGA is the model stylistically in both sides of the ball he wants to be….so why not get the guy familiar w the UGA program.

Last edited:
I don't think anybody cares how it happens but we have to have better offense. If we run for 300 yds a game we don't care. I care if we're 80-100 in the country in offense because we can't win in the sec that way. There has to be some explosiveness from one part of the offense or the other and modern complexities of offense and how rules are imposed greatly favor passing games compared to the past. What we can't do is expect to methodically march against sec defenses all of the time and hope to get out of that 6 or 7 wins. In 2018 we had a top 10 national type defense with the only legit pass rush in Stoops' 12 seasons. In 2021, we had our only legitimate passing offense in Stoops' 12 seasons. Again, the way we had been playing had a ceiling. And the more one dimensional we are the less likely we can do either well in our conference.

I agree we need better but some fans, especially vocal fans, really care about style points.

People keep acting like we had a 6-7 win ceiling under Gran when we clearly had much better years than that with him at the helm. That 10 win season could've definitely had another win maybe two. 11 or 12 win seasons imo is the ceiling for UK.

I don't know what created such a negative view of the success we had with him here.

All that said, if ksr leaked that name that's most surely who we're getting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT