ADVERTISEMENT

Who has a better backcourt? Who has a better frontcourt?

Duke is better in both places. Kansas is better in both places. You guys set yourself up for unrealistic expectations. You will be pre season 15ish? And you’re talking about how much better your roster is than the pre season 1-2? Cal is going to have develop players eventually because the 18-19 year old kids with no experience don’t win anything.

Perhaps pre-season rankings are the be-all, end-all when it comes to this? I would take our guards/wings over Kansas's (granted I don't know anything about Furphy) and I think Duke's guards are even with ours, albeit both teams have more experience, which helps in Nov/Dec.

But, I have zero doubt that both teams have better and more experienced frontcourts than us.

If we had gotten Dickinson at UK, rather than Tre Mitchell, we would've been pre-season top 5, EVEN though Mitchell is a far better fit for our team. We were ranked 6th right at the end of April when we just had question marks for half the roster, these polls are all over the place until they can start echo-chambering each other.

Perhaps pre-season rankings are the be-all, end-all when it comes to this? I would take our guards/wings over Kansas's (granted I don't know anything about Furphy) and I think Duke's guards are even with ours, albeit both teams have more experience, which helps in Nov/Dec.

But, I have zero doubt that both teams have better and more experienced frontcourts than us.

If we had gotten Dickinson at UK, rather than Tre Mitchell, we would've been pre-season top 5, EVEN though Mitchell is a far better fit for our team. We were ranked 6th right at the end of April when we just had question marks for half the roster, these polls are all over the place until they can start echo-chambering each other.
Is Mitchell playing center for you? Tiny and not a great rebounder. Hunter definitely would have hated his life and those guards definitely don’t want to throw the ball inside. Oscar was a good fit due to him being a freak on the boards.

• Haha
Reactions: Mike-D

Me personally and I’m sure a lot of others would agree, there is no way I’m talking Any of ur guards over Dajaun Harris or Kevin mccullar.

Is Mitchell playing center for you? Tiny and not a great rebounder. Hunter definitely would have hated his life and those guards definitely don’t want to throw the ball inside. Oscar was a good fit due to him being a freak on the boards.

That's why Mitchell is a better fit. Dickinson would've clashed with Brashaw, Onyenso, and now Ivisic. My guess is Calipari would've landed a hybrid 3/4 if Dickinson had came on board.

Duke is better in both places. Kansas is better in both places. You guys set yourself up for unrealistic expectations. You will be pre season 15ish? And you’re talking about how much better your roster is than the pre season 1-2? Cal is going to have develop players eventually because the 18-19 year old kids with no experience don’t win anything.
I wish I could disagree with you, but we have some dudes on here that think Lucy is done pulling the football away.

You aren't winning anything in today's game with freshmen and the simple fact that they are lottery picks, doesn't matter, that just means they will be good in the NBA at some point.

I wish I could disagree with you, but we have some dudes on here that think Lucy is done pulling the football away.

You aren't winning anything in today's game with freshmen and the simple fact that they are lottery picks, doesn't matter, that just means they will be good in the NBA at some point.
How many freshmen were on UKS last championship team?

If you watch TV at all you will see Lucy trick Peanuts a lot more times, but I am not sure that has anything to do with UK basketball.

No, only as a last-ditch resort.

How many freshmen are projected to start now? And I guess if you have top ten prospects on the bench that is pretty good depth.

How many freshmen were on UKS last championship team?

If you watch TV at all you will see Lucy trick Peanuts a lot more times, but I am not sure that has anything to do with UK basketball.
Guess you forgot about the lockout that brought Jones, Lamb and Miller back. You obviously also forgot about the generational player we had on the roster that year.

But thanks for playing.

You:
giphy.webp

Not to agree with a Duke fan here, but Filipowski is a likely first team All-American as well. That's quite the 'only option'.

Then they have Mark Mitchell who will likely play the 4, much like our own Tre Mitchell and they have Sean Stewart who played PF/C for Team USA U17, along with Ron Holland.
They will definitely be good.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat

I don’t give a damn about pre season anything. What matters is where you finish.

Did you copy and paste this post from August of the previous 5 years?

We talk about how great our talent is, then blame the players when we suck, you know, because it definitely isn't Cal's fault. No way, he’s in the HOF.
I wish you would go post on your teams site.

Whoever that is.

Your negativity gets old after a while.

Last edited:
I wish you would go post on your teams site.

Whoever that is.

Your negativity gets old after a while.
He's jaded. I'm jaded. Many of us here are. The least you could say is "I understand where you're coming from, Cal hasn't gotten it done since 2015, I'm hoping the light comes on for Cal".

We have a lot of potential, I'll give it that. Gotta keep Cal's ass away from the offense, keep running the 5 out motion offense, and keep running more inbounds plays. The Welch hire seemed really solid for the summer, offensively.

But if we return back to the rock fights and Cal ball with his stagnant ass half-court offense, we're gonna see the same exact results we have had recently this March Madness. You aren't going to win in the NCAA tournament anymore with these 60 ppg rock fights. It's not happening anymore. The game HAS evolved away from that.

Cal adapted, and stayed that way. Bigs are still a work in progress, but with the addition of Z, I think we've gotta have a top 10 front court. If Z keeps developing like I think he might, obviously that ranking sky rockets.

Cal adapted, and stayed that way. Bigs are still a work in progress, but with the addition of Z, I think we've gotta have a top 10 front court. If Z keeps developing like I think he might, obviously that ranking sky rockets.
If I had to decide on any three bigs from any team, and I had to trade all three of our guys, I can't think of a single team I'd trade with at this point.

Same with our guards.

On paper, UK has got a solid roster. Options are a plenty for next season. I don’t know how good they will end up being, but they are going be fun to watch.

Some will probably give the nod to Duke, but I’m still not sold on them or Scheyer.
Several months later and I’ll say I’m still
not sold on Duke or Scheyer, and this UK team has been very fun to watch.

I'm 65 and this is the most offensively talented UK team I can remember and I remember all since 1970 well. If we can just get even slightly above average on defense, and there is no reason why we can't, we have a great chance to hang banner #9 this year.

The Kentucky backcourt is better than Texas A&M’s. Don’t be fooled by one home game won in OT by the Aggie guards playing over their heads.
I'm not fooled, but head to head matters. Defense is important too. But to make it clear I love our guards.

I don't mean that arrogantly, but as an honest question. Some may know the rosters of all college teams better than I do.

Who has better guards with more speed, talent and versatility than Kentucky with Wagner, Reeves, Sheppard, Dillingham?

Who has better forwards and centers to play a modern, fast paced, floor spacing game while still rebounding and especially protecting the rim than Kentucky with Edwards, Mitchell, Ivisic, Bradshaw, Onyenso?

I'm not sure I'd trade rosters with anyone.
Wouldn't trade rosters, but I'd sure like to have someone I trusted more on the bench.

Reactions: St.PatterSoN-54-
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT