ADVERTISEMENT

Rotation going foward

Cal has been playing too many combinations in the 1st half "to figure out" who plays in the 2nd half and it leads to early deficits and results in losing.

Maybe start the game with your 5 best players but that will never happen.

This team really needed to land Dickenson so bad to have some kind of guy inside who will not get pushed around.

Reactions: Klix
OP is spot on with starting five. Wagner plays about 20-25 minutes off the bench, Edwards/Burks spells Adou at the 4, and Z, Ugo, and Bradshaw (whichever of the three seems best suited for that particular game, or some combo of them) back up Mitchell at the 5. But there is zero chance Cal will try it.

Last year we had the “Bennie lineup” and Cal refused to play that lineup.

This year it’s the small ball lineup. Cal will refuse to play that lineup because he would rather lose than for the “crazy UK fans” to be proven right by playing a lineup that we the fans suggest.

Cal is the poster child for the “I’ll die on that hill” types.

Absolutely right. We need to remember what really matters. All UK fans need to remember we should be the sacrificial program to the NBA Gods. Cal has got this program right where he wants it. A sacrificial lamb. Thanks coach.
Agreed! To heck with hanging banners for final fours and championships! Let's hang the jerseys of all of our NBA players and hang banners when they make the all star game. That's the true measure of success!

Reactions: UKortho
The lineups are irrelevant...this team has no problems scoring, regardless of what five are out there.

The problem will always be defensively. It does not matter which five are out there, or what the combination of five is, nobody, and I mean nobody, can defend on this team.

So you all can trot out what you think the best five his, but it doesn't matter...because nobody on this team defends.

So go back to your small ball lineup with Tre at the five. It will not matter whatsoever. Not sure why this is so hard for ppl to see.
Our defense wasn’t this bad when we didn’t have any 7 footers (Kenpom).

The lineups are irrelevant...this team has no problems scoring, regardless of what five are out there.

The problem will always be defensively. It does not matter which five are out there, or what the combination of five is, nobody, and I mean nobody, can defend on this team.

So you all can trot out what you think the best five his, but it doesn't matter...because nobody on this team defends.

So go back to your small ball lineup with Tre at the five. It will not matter whatsoever. Not sure why this is so hard for ppl to see.
You're right, no one defends well. No argument there. And it's too late to learn defense at this point. So, play your best offense and try to outscore them. Use our speed to try to force turnovers. We need to press and harass constantly and hope they make mistakes. We can't stop teams the traditional way.

Reactions: rivercatinfl
Cal is going to ride Edwards all he can from this point on. After all he got 17 against a terrific Candy defense.

Cal has checked out on winning games. Not that he was ever that much into it

Our defense wasn’t this bad when we didn’t have any 7 footers (Kenpom).
The problem with that statement is the overwhelming majority of those early season games where UK was without the 7 footers is that UK was playing mid majors...so naturally the metrics will look better when you play crappy competition.

Defense has sucked the whole year...adding the 7 footers has not made the defense any worse then it already was.

Rotation needs to be this.

Platoon 1

Reed
Reeves
Edwards
Mitchell
Ugo

Platoon 2

Wagner
RD0
Thiero
Burks
Z

2nd half settle in on the 7 players playing best.

Bradshaw adds nothing to team on either end. He's a less than J Toppin.

The 7 footers we have are not physically capable of defending SEC basketball players consistently. They are either too skinny or are limited in mobility like Onyenso.

Edwards, Ivisic, Bradshaw, and Onyenso should all split the time available when Thiero and Mitchell need breaks. If someone wants to say Ivisic should be the first guy in I guess that's fair. As I said in another thread though, I actually think Burks is a better option. If he's given time out on the court to get some experience you'll see his defense even improve. He's just not being given the chance.

Ivisic and Bradshaw are frankly just too weak physically to defend in the SEC or against OOC players like Graham Ike.
I would love Bradshaw a bit more if he could play more than 5 minutes without fouling 2 times. He seems to be foul prone for a tall man. He has as I have seen gets a lot of fouls b/c he bets beat and then fouls from behind. O well...it's what it is.

Z should be the only 7 footer that sees the floor unless we're in an emergency injury/foul situation. I've seen enough of AB and Ugonna. They combined for 4 rebounds and one field goal in 30 minutes of action....Reed had 5 boards alone in 28 minutes. They were destroyed by a bunch of 6-8 guys from Gonzaga. Assuming Tre can't go, I'd go with
Reed
Dilly
Z
Reeves
Thiero
Z helps us spread the floor for our drivers and gives us a legit pick and pop threat similar to Tre. We had so many weird lineups with too many non shooters on the floor against GU in the first half. I believe Matt Jones said the combo of Reed/Dilly/Reeves were on the floor for less than 2 minutes....that's coaching malpractice.

Bradshaw adds nothing to team on either end. He's a less than J Toppin.
That statement got me to thinking, who would you (BBN) rather have:

Toppin or Bradshaw
Brooks or Edwards
(pre-quitter) Wheeler or Wagner
Collins or Burks

For me, I'd take Toppin, easily take Brooks, Wagner, and I think Burks.

Toppin or Bradshaw
Brooks or Edwards
Collins or Burks

Toppin
Neither (Or maybe Edwards for the maybe potential )
Wagner by a a distance of all outside
Burks

Can we all agree that Kentucky should just go back to small ball and live with it at this point. Sheppard dillingham reeves adou and Mitchell start. Wagner, Edwards and Ivisic/burks off the bench and live with it. Play your best weapons together, and stop trying to force big lineups with the hope the defense gets better, it’s not, so just go back to small ball
Makes sense, but don't forget that Mitchell has been unavailable the last few games, and could potentially miss more time in the future as well. So then what's the plan?

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23

Toppin or Bradshaw
Brooks or Edwards
Collins or Burks

Toppin
Brooks
Wagner
Burks

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT