ADVERTISEMENT

Who has a better backcourt? Who has a better frontcourt?

MdWIldcat55

All-American
Dec 9, 2007
I don't mean that arrogantly, but as an honest question. Some may know the rosters of all college teams better than I do.

Who has better guards with more speed, talent and versatility than Kentucky with Wagner, Reeves, Sheppard, Dillingham?

Who has better forwards and centers to play a modern, fast paced, floor spacing game while still rebounding and especially protecting the rim than Kentucky with Edwards, Mitchell, Ivisic, Bradshaw, Onyenso?

I'm not sure I'd trade rosters with anyone.

Last edited:
On paper, UK has got a solid roster. Options are a plenty for next season. I don’t know how good they will end up being, but they are going be fun to watch.

Some will probably give the nod to Duke, but I’m still not sold on them or Scheyer.

Long term, we might be up there with just about anyone. While I don't think the frontcourt potential translates to the hardwood next year (I hope I'm wrong there) I do think we'll have more NBA players on this roster than anyone - Edwards, Wagner, Bradshaw, Onyenso, Ivisic, Thiero, Dillingham, Sheppard. All of those guys will be in the NBA within a few years.

When one considers the fact that this group doesn't even include Mitchell and Reeves, one can't help but be excited about this team's potential if everyone stays healthy and plays next March and potentially in April.

Last edited:
Did you copy and paste this post from August of the previous 5 years?

We talk about how great our talent is, then blame the players when we suck, you know, because it definitely isn't Cal's fault. No way, he’s in the HOF.

The obvious disclaimer is we still have to see it on the court, and I will agree there are dozens of other teams that have a more PROVEN front court and/or back court.

But it's hard for me to think there's a better group than Wagner/Dilly/Reeves/Shep... or a better group than Tre/Bradshaw/Ugo/Z.. and these groups aren't including some of the 3's that we have either.

Again, we still have to see it. But these rankings are ALL speculative. We don't *know* that Duke's players or Arkansas' players will make any improvements. So I look at the potential of Kentucky, as 2nd to none. I don't see any team in the top10 right now that will wind up being on world-beating levels of success.. but I can see UK being there if things fall right. We could have SEVERAL lottery picks and a handful in the 1st round. I don't see many other teams having that level of talent.

The obvious disclaimer is we still have to see it on the court, and I will agree there are dozens of other teams that have a more PROVEN front court and/or back court.

But it's hard for me to think there's a better group than Wagner/Dilly/Reeves/Shep... or a better group than Tre/Bradshaw/Ugo/Z.. and these groups aren't including some of the 3's that we have either.

Again, we still have to see it. But these rankings are ALL speculative. We don't *know* that Duke's players or Arkansas' players will make any improvements. So I look at the potential of Kentucky, as 2nd to none. I don't see any team in the top10 right now that will wind up being on world-beating levels of success.. but I can see UK being there if things fall right. We could have SEVERAL lottery picks and a handful in the 1st round. I don't see many other teams having that level of talent.
I think that another element that is exciting is that of potential. The last few years, we knew what the ceilings were going to be for guys like Toppin, Mintz, Wheeler, Fredrick, Grady, and Brooks. They were very good college players, but we all understood that none of them were going to suddenly show the ability to be transcendent.

We have a core of players who are just the opposite now. Guys like Onyenso and Ivisic who have the foundations to become first round picks. Guys like Edwards and Wagner who have the same level of potential eruption on any given night that Cason Wallace had. We have a few wildcard potential dynamos in Sheppard and Dillingham who could play the role of becoming our next Ty Ty Washington.

Then we've got a guy like Thiero, who just oozes potential. I don't think it would shock BBN at all if the kid becomes an NBA-level talent.

I'm not buying stock in this team until I see them come together for a month or so, but I am intrigued. This is the most talent Calipari has assembled in Lexington since 2020, and I would argue that from a raw talent level, this might be right up there with 2017 (I'm not saying they'll win 30+ games like that group did, but the potential is there).

I think that another element that is exciting is that of potential. The last few years, we knew what the ceilings were going to be for guys like Toppin, Mintz, Wheeler, Fredrick, Grady, and Brooks. They were very good college players, but we all understood that none of them were going to suddenly show the ability to be transcendent.

We have a core of players who are just the opposite now. Guys like Onyenso and Ivisic who have the foundations to become first round picks. Guys like Edwards and Wagner who have the same level of potential eruption on any given night that Cason Wallace had. We have a few wildcard potential dynamos in Sheppard and Dillingham who could play the role of becoming our next Ty Ty Washington.

Then we've got a guy like Thiero, who just oozes potential. I don't think it would shock BBN at all if the kid becomes an NBA-level talent.

I'm not buying stock in this team until I see them come together for a month or so, but I am intrigued. This is the most talent Calipari has assembled in Lexington since 2020, and I would argue that from a raw talent level, this might be right up there with 2017 (I'm not saying they'll win 30+ games like that group did, but the potential is there).

For sure. I think we can all agree that the talent/potential on this team far surpasses recent years, I think going all the way back to 2017 (and even that is debatable).

I'd even go as far as to say that Wagner and Edwards are a notch above Cason, in terms of talent. And further, it's not like Cason really did a whole lot for ud last year, let's be real. It really wouldn't take a whole lot for Edwards and Wagner to pass Cason in terms of production.

I'm very excited for this team. I love our depth, especially because we always seem to have extremely untimely injuries. Every single player on this team has a "next man up" waiting in the fold.

For sure. I think we can all agree that the talent/potential on this team far surpasses recent years, I think going all the way back to 2017 (and even that is debatable).

I'd even go as far as to say that Wagner and Edwards are a notch above Cason, in terms of talent. And further, it's not like Cason really did a whole lot for ud last year, let's be real. It really wouldn't take a whole lot for Edwards and Wagner to pass Cason in terms of production.

I'm very excited for this team. I love our depth, especially because we always seem to have extremely untimely injuries. Every single player on this team has a "next man up" waiting in the fold.
I think we could see a 2018-level team from the freshmen, but obviously with the additives of Mitchell and Reeves. Imagine putting those two vets on that 2018 team. It's the difference of probably +5 in the win category. I'm hoping Wagner matches SGA's first-year potential. Edwards, to me, looks better than Knox already. Kevin was mostly terrified of contact (still is). Edwards seems to have some pit bull in him.

Those guys both give us our co-stud leadership. The X-Factor is Bradshaw.

Nice post,I feel same way

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Kentucky/Duke:

Bradshaw (Filipowski) - Duke
Mitchell (M. Mitchell) - Even
Edwards (Stewart) - UK
Onyenso (R. Young) - Duke
Ivisic (Reeves) - UK
Thiero (Power) - Even
Burks (Begovich) - UK

Just comparing player to player, Duke has the big edge with Filipowski over Bradshaw. The Mitchells cancel out. Edwards over Stewart, but it's not a drastic win, plus Edwards probably should comp as a wing with Duke's 3 which would be Proctor or McCain. Then, Young is likely going to outplay Onyenso, but Ivisic is likely better than Christian Reeves.

Kansas would have a similar frontcourt win with Adams and Dickinson over Mitchell and Bradshaw, but Ivisic and Onyenso are better depth than Clemence and Braun.

Purdue will have Edey back.

Miami has Omier and Cleveland. That's likely better than us.

Arizona has Ballo and Johnson and several foreign bigs. I like Mitchell over Johnson, but Ballo is going to be really dominant this year.

UNC has Bacot and Withers

SEC-wise, Auburn has Broome and Williams back, MSU has Tolu Smith and Jeffries back, and A&M has Coleman and Marble back. Getting a full second year in the same system will be huge for these teams. Ole Miss will have Brakefield, Cisse, and Sharp. Interesting to see how they do with Beard. Those are all likely going to be equal to or more productive than our frontcourt. I'm interested to see what Nelson does as Bama and Brazile does at Arkansas.

Mind you, we have a great backcourt, which beats out most of these teams.

I think we could see a 2018-level team from the freshmen, but obviously with the additives of Mitchell and Reeves. Imagine putting those two vets on that 2018 team. It's the difference of probably +5 in the win category. I'm hoping Wagner matches SGA's first-year potential. Edwards, to me, looks better than Knox already. Kevin was mostly terrified of contact (still is). Edwards seems to have some pit bull in him.

Those guys both give us our co-stud leadership. The X-Factor is Bradshaw.
I think the Freshmen (at least on paper) this year are better than the Freshmen in 2018.

Their rankings are definitely better.

If I am not mistaken, Knox was the only top 10 in that group.

This year we have three composite top six guys.

And Dillingham was in the top 10, until recently.

Then Ivisic is considered a 2nd round draft pick coming in.

And Sheppard might be the best of the bunch, despite his ranking.

2018 is the floor for this bunch, IMHO.

I don't mean that arrogantly, but as an honest question. Some may know the rosters of all college teams better than I do.

Who has better guards with more speed, talent and versatility than Kentucky with Wagner, Reeves, Sheppard, Dillingham, Thiero?

Who has better forwards and centers to play a modern, fast paced, floor spacing game while still rebounding and especially protecting the rim than Kentucky with Edwards, Mitchell, Ivisic, Bradshaw, Onyenso, Burk?

I guess Duke is in the conversation for frontcourt. I wouldn't trade with them though. And I wouldn't trade guards with them.

Who else? Kansas? I'm on record saying Kentucky was lucky not to sign Dickinson, that he dictated a slow pace on offense, was a black hole in the middle demanding the ball that kept two top 15 NBA draft picks standing around, and that he is an average rebounder and no rim protection. But I know some disagree. I'm not sold on their guards, including their latest woman-battering transfer Arterio Morris. Again, some may disagree.

By the way, I know someone will say, "depends on who is healthy." Obviously. But there is zero reason today to think anyone will miss the beginning of fall practice.

Also, some will say, "Yeah, but who is coaching them?" That's a discussion for another thread, but Calipari has gotten some pretty diverse line-ups to the Final Four and beyond, from an all freshmen starting five to a team with Josh Harrelson as starting center and Eloy Vargas as first big off the bench. I think his critics would agree he does his best work with great young talent...
Who Has The Better Coach?

We talk about how great our talent is, then blame the players when we suck, you know, because it definitely isn't Cal's fault. No way, he’s in the HOF.
If you have given up on this team Why bother posting until Calipari is gone?

I totally agree with your post as we have all seen it for the past few seasons, hopefully he will listen to Welch and Martin and let them give him guidance in his weak areas, if he does I have optimism that this team can make waves, if not then history will repeat itself. They do look like a team with several different weapons, last season Reeves had pressure on him to produce and I think that pressure was too much in the tournament, plus Cal doesn't display great leadership in tight games.

Just put him on ignore like 90 percent of the people here have. He's some adolescent trying to act like a jaded, "sophisticated' adult by showing how bitter and angry he is. He'll outgrow it in a decade or so. Meanwhil, if he gets no reaction he'll go away.
He really is just trolling UK fans. His assertion that UK has “sucked”:the last 5 years would include:

2019 30-7 AP#7, 2 seed and Elite 8 loss in OT
2020 25-6 AP #8; SEC Champs, probable 2-3 seed
2022 26-8 AP #7, 2 seed and 1st round NCAAT loss

That doesn’t suck by any normal person’s standards.

I totally agree with your post as we have all seen it for the past few seasons, hopefully he will listen to Welch and Martin and let them give him guidance in his weak areas, if he does I have optimism that this team can make waves, if not then history will repeat itself. They do look like a team with several different weapons, last season Reeves had pressure on him to produce and I think that pressure was too much in the tournament, plus Cal doesn't display great leadership in tight games.
I'm done buying the hype. The problem is not the players, never has been.

He really is just trolling UK fans. His assertion that UK has “sucked”:the last 5 years would include:

2019 30-7 AP#7, 2 seed and Elite 8 loss in OT
2020 25-6 AP #8; SEC Champs, probable 2-3 seed
2022 26-8 AP #7, 2 seed and 1st round NCAAT loss

That doesn’t suck by any normal person’s standards.
You misspelled:
-9-16
-Losses at home to Richmond, Evansville, UGA snd South Carolina
-Saint Peters
-Kansas state
-15-26 against ranked teams
All while he had a POY center and 22 first round draft picks, many if them lottery picks.

I know what you're thinking, facts really suck.

What are you going to say when he fails again this year? You going to blame the players?

Edit: you also misspelled:
-34 point beatdown by Duke in the champions classic

Last edited:
I like our roster but it’s not this simple. We still need to see how the pieces fit together, play as a team, etc…

Canada was a good sign but by no means the kind of test we’ll see against real college basketball teams. There are a lot of talented, veteran teams out there.

Bottom line — we’ll see.

I think the Freshmen (at least on paper) this year are better than the Freshmen in 2018.

Their rankings are definitely better.

If I am not mistaken, Knox was the only top 10 in that group.

This year we have three composite top six guys.

And Dillingham was in the top 10, until recently.

Then Ivisic is considered a 2nd round draft pick coming in.

And Sheppard might be the best of the bunch, despite his ranking.

2018 is the floor for this bunch, IMHO.
I don’t know, we had 3 lottery picks in that class and 3 second rounders (counting Diallo). That’s a pretty high floor, especially considering how impressively SGA played, both that season and going forward.

Not saying you’re wrong, only that it wouldn’t take much slippage to end up below that class.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
After the last 5 years I dont understand how you can’t be in wait and see mode. I for sure am optimistic. But to actually start a thread saying “Who could possibly be better?!” When we have like one returning player is insanity to me. How about we actually play a game before you are actually so confident that you can’t fathom a team even having better players.

Actually the more you read the OPs post the crazier it gets. 3 true freshman and a 6th year senior at guard, as well as the guy that was playing the 4 for us. Who could possibly be better in the backcourt?? 3 of the froncourt players we haven’t even seen play because 2 are injured and one is coming from Croatia - and that doesn’t include Burks or a guy that transferred from WVU. 😂 I mean I really am excited to see the team this year but holy cow this is the most homer thread of all time. I mean really, you can’t imagine another team being more talented? 😂 Hopefully it all comes together but there are a TON of question marks

Actually the more you read the OPs post the crazier it gets. 3 true freshman and a 6th year senior at guard, as well as the guy that was playing the 4 for us. Who could possibly be better in the backcourt?? 3 of the froncourt players we haven’t even seen play because 2 are injured and one is coming from Croatia - and that doesn’t include Burks or a guy that transferred from WVU. 😂 I mean I really am excited to see the team this year but holy cow this is the most homer thread of all time. I mean really, you can’t imagine another team being more talented? 😂 Hopefully it all comes together but there are a TON of question marks
The obliviousness on the board, is next level.

We literally have dudes on here trying to argue that the last 5 years has been just fine. It’s the worst 5 year run in the history of the program and the 9 million dollar man, has not only taken zero accountability, he has also barked at the fans, gone into hiding numerous times, avoided doing press conferences and made excuse after excuse for the historic losing.

I don't understand how anyone can think that another batch of high school kids is going to come into college basketball, where it'll be as old as it has ever been and win big.

2018 had 3 lottery picks and 4 other future NBA players on it, that team finished in the sweet 16 to a team who's best player only played a few minutes. We finished with 11 losses that year. That’s terrible.

Nice post,I feel same way
Yeah, because true fans just go away right? I'm a UK fan, you Cal fans are the ussue. This crap is unacceptable.
Not a Cal fan and not happy with past several years but this is a promising start to this year but your hate for Calipari be blinds you to any positive news or outlook. I agree the OP is over the top on this. By the way labling someone A Cal fan is narrow minded.

Yeahhh - for instance, I wasn’t crazy about Purdue last year, but they were a 1 seed and returned all their starters.

UCONN was a surprise team last year, ended up curb stomping the field, and returned a lot of pieces (plus added Castle, who I like).

Florida Atlantic - I think has their whole team back off of a FF run.

So maybe give it a minute.

After the last 5 years I dont understand how you can’t be in wait and see mode. I for sure am optimistic. But to actually start a thread saying “Who could possibly be better?!” When we have like one returning player is insanity to me. How about we actually play a game before you are actually so confident that you can’t fathom a team even having better players.
Mind boggling isn't it. Truly.

Reactions: Fox2monk

Who has better guards with more speed, talent and versatility than Kentucky with Wagner, Reeves, Sheppard, Dillingham, Thiero?

Who has better forwards and centers to play a modern, fast paced, floor spacing game while still rebounding and especially protecting the rim than Kentucky with Edwards, Mitchell, Ivisic, Bradshaw, Onyenso, Burk?

I guess Duke is in the conversation for frontcourt. I wouldn't trade with them though. And I wouldn't trade guards with them.

Who else? Kansas? I'm on record saying Kentucky was lucky not to sign Dickinson, that he dictated a slow pace on offense, was a black hole in the middle demanding the ball that kept two top 15 NBA draft picks standing around, and that he is an average rebounder and no rim protection. But I know some disagree. I'm not sold on their guards, including their latest woman-battering transfer Arterio Morris. Again, some may disagree.

By the way, I know someone will say, "depends on who is healthy." Obviously. But there is zero reason today to think anyone will miss the beginning of fall practice.

Also, some will say, "Yeah, but who is coaching them?" That's a discussion for another thread, but Calipari has gotten some pretty diverse line-ups to the Final Four and beyond, from an all freshmen starting five to a team with Josh Harrelson as starting center and Eloy Vargas as first big off the bench. I think his critics would agree he does his best work with great young talent...
Dickenson was on some good teams that made the Elite 8, I agree with your assessment of his game. Much like Oscar his strengths outweigh his flaws. He has shown that a team can be successful and I think it more shows that they underachieved relative to their talent, and it wasn’t a well constructed roster or coaching job.

We have a lot of potential, I'll give it that. Gotta keep Cal's ass away from the offense, keep running the 5 out motion offense, and keep running more inbounds plays. The Welch hire seemed really solid for the summer, offensively.

But if we return back to the rock fights and Cal ball with his stagnant ass half-court offense, we're gonna see the same exact results we have had recently this March Madness. You aren't going to win in the NCAA tournament anymore with these 60 ppg rock fights. It's not happening anymore. The game HAS evolved away from that.

I would defintley take Dukes guards over ours but our front-court has gotta be better I would think. Their only option at Center is Filpowksii who is going to be a defensive liability for them down low.

Md….I’m like you in that I wouldn’t trade our back or front court for anyone else’s. Would I trade an individual player for another? Of course I would but I LOVE my team and I’m excited af to take em all on!!!

Not a Cal fan and not happy with past several years but this is a promising start to this year but your hate for Calipari be blinds you to any positive news or outlook. I agree the OP is over the top on this. By the way labling someone A Cal fan is narrow minded.
We start every year off with promise and high rankings, only to get an immediate dose of reality.

The voters are doing the same thing I am, they're not buying the hype. At this point, Cal has to actually win something.

You just have far more patience than me, or your breaking point is a lot further down the line than mine is. Cal is going to need to prove he isn’t a has-been coach, but in order to do that, he’s going to have to drop the stubborn bullshit.

He's had far more talent than everyone else, so the players haven't been the issue.

I would defintley take Dukes guards over ours but our front-court has gotta be better I would think. Their only option at Center is Filpowksii who is going to be a defensive liability for them down low.
Filipowski isn’t the only option at center though: Young is 6’ 10” 245lbs and played 18 minutes a game at the 5 last year, and Christian Reeves is 7’ 1” 245lbs but didn’t play last year much due to injury.

We start every year off with promise and high rankings, only to get an immediate dose of reality.

The voters are doing the same thing I am, they're not buying the hype. At this point, Cal has to actually win something.

You just have far more patience than me, or your breaking point is a lot further down the line than mine is. Cal is going to need to prove he isn’t a has-been coach, but in order to do that, he’s going to have to drop the stubborn bullshit.

He's had far more talent than everyone else, so the players haven't been the issue.
I dont disagree woth anything you said. I think he has a much more deep and versatile team than he had in quite a awhile plus some legitimate assistants on the bench with him.

Reactions: jauk11
Yeahhh - for instance, I wasn’t crazy about Purdue last year, but they were a 1 seed and returned all their starters.

UCONN was a surprise team last year, ended up curb stomping the field, and returned a lot of pieces (plus added Castle, who I like).

Florida Atlantic - I think has their whole team back off of a FF run.

So maybe give it a minute.

UConn did lose their three best players and 5 of their top 8. Their season was essentially saved by Cam Spencer transferring there. They will be really good with him.

Reactions: Fox2monk and Aike
Duke is better in both places. Kansas is better in both places. You guys set yourself up for unrealistic expectations. You will be pre season 15ish? And you’re talking about how much better your roster is than the pre season 1-2? Cal is going to have develop players eventually because the 18-19 year old kids with no experience don’t win anything.

• Haha
Reactions: pauled and Mike-D
Filipowski isn’t the only option at center though: Young is 6’ 10” 245lbs and played 18 minutes a game at the 5 last year, and Christian Reeves is 7’ 1” 245lbs but didn’t play last year much due to injury.

Not to agree with a Duke fan here, but Filipowski is a likely first team All-American as well. That's quite the 'only option'.

Then they have Mark Mitchell who will likely play the 4, much like our own Tre Mitchell and they have Sean Stewart who played PF/C for Team USA U17, along with Ron Holland.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT