ADVERTISEMENT

What was the first non-local concert you attended?

J_Dee

Junior
Mar 21, 2008
I went to plenty of local shows in my youth, but Ani DiFranco and Maceo Parker in Columbus in the summer of '99 was my first "big" show. It was in a parking lot, and it freaking rocked. XD

FvvPThNXoAE5rxe

What was your first big show?

Spring break 1987 in Daytona, FL. Free MTV show featuring Howie Mandel and The Bangles. Howie was funny and Bangles were better than expected.

Last edited:
Reactions: J_Dee
U2 Joshua Tree tour in 1987. Wasnt necessarily a huge fan but just wanted to see if I would be allowed to go to Cleveland for a concert

MANY years ago....Atlanta Rhythm Section at Kings Island HS senior grad party.

Fast forward to the the last 10 years, and probably 90% of the shows I attend now are out of state.

"non-local", so that rules out the one in Lexington, the couple in Philly, and the 8-10 in Raleigh I've been to. So I guess that would be last year, at age 52, saw Journey in Charlotte. And it was probably the best I've been to.

Went from Corbin to Cumberland College in Williamsburg to see The Grass Roots and Kenny Rogers and the First Edition while in High School probably '70-'71. Not sure that considered "Non Local".

I think it was 2002 Ozzfest in Chicago area. I was going into my freshman year of hs. Original Sabbath, Judas Priest, and slayer were the main stage headliners. Slipknot was on the second stage and crazy.

Reactions: J_Dee and GeraldV
Kiss in Rupp, 8th grade circa 1976.

Fortunate now that I can afford to travel to almost any show I am interested in so I have seen countless since then...

Kiss in Rupp, 8th grade circa 1976.

Fortunate now that I can afford to travel to almost any show I am interested in so I have seen countless since then...
Had a ticket to the Dynasty tour at Freedom Hall in 1979 but Mom thought it wasn't a good idea for an 8 year old to attend a rock concert. It took a LONG time to get over that.

Alabama at Rupp Arena circa 1985. I was about 6.

First show I paid for my own ticket to: Brooks & Dunn, Rupp Arena, 1996.

Funny thing is, I don’t like country music.

Forced to go to Alabama and went to Brooks & Dunn to score brownie points with my then-girlfriend.

Last edited:
Given i've lived in NKy my whole life (aside from 1 year in Lexington), that rules out most of the shows i had been to early on (Bogarts, Cincy Gardens, US Bank, Riverbend, anything in Newport, Covington, etc). Been to quite a few non-local shows in the last 10-15yrs (mostly Dayton, Lexington and Louisville). Never really had to go anywhere else because the metal shows always came through Cincinnati somewhere.

If i recall correctly, it would probably have to be Anthrax (with Exodus and Helloween, i believe) at the Louisville Gardens in 1989.

Reactions: J_Dee and chroix
Went from Corbin to Cumberland College in Williamsburg to see The Grass Roots and Kenny Rogers and the First Edition while in High School probably '70-'71. Not sure that considered "Non Local".
Corbin to Cumberland College is like driving from one side of Lexington to the other. But if you were in HS and you or your friends drove with no adults along...then it counts as “non-local” and we will allow it.

I went to plenty of concerts at Rupp when I was in HS. I didn’t live in Lexington so technically all of them were non-local. First one was Heart & Autograph (Blondes in Black Cars). That was 85’ and the beginning of Heart going soft-pop...but they played plenty of their old stuff too so it was a perfectly decent “rock” show with a few lame pop songs to languish through.

Senior year went to see Motley Crue at Freedom Hall. That’s what I would consider my first real non-local concert. That was the Girls Girls Girls tour when Tommy Lee broke out the rotating drum cage. That was pretty cool as were the pyrotechnics. Had free tickets on the floor to that one & it was the loudest concert I had been to at that point by far & they put on a good show.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT