ADVERTISEMENT

What song do you want played at your funeral ???

No funeral for me. Worst custom/ritual ever started by mankind. I won’t have it.

But I would like to know that immediate family and a few friends gather for a party once I’m gone. Must be happy, not sad. They’ll need to drink up all the wine I’ve got stashed in my basement and play some of my favorite music. Lots of SRV and Double Trouble, Gov’t Mule, The Black Keys, and The Allman Bothers Band.

No funeral for me. Worst custom/ritual ever started by mankind. I won’t have it.

But I would like to know that immediate family and a few friends gather for a party once I’m gone. Must be happy, not sad. They’ll need to drink up all the wine I’ve got stashed in my basement and play some of my favorite music. Lots of SRV and Double Trouble, Gov’t Mule, The Black Keys, and The Allman Bothers Band.

Before his death, Parsons stated that he wanted his body cremated at Joshua Tree and his ashes spread over Cap Rock, a prominent natural feature there. However, Parsons' stepfather Bob organized a private ceremony back in New Orleans and neglected to invite any of his friends from the music industry.[49] Two accounts state that Bob Parsons stood to inherit Gram's share of his grandfather's estate if he could prove that Gram was a resident of Louisiana, explaining his eagerness to have him buried there.[50][51]

Parsons' makeshift memorial in Joshua Tree, California
To fulfill Parsons' funeral wishes, Kaufman and a friend stole his body from Los Angeles International Airport and in a borrowed hearse, they drove it to Joshua Tree. Upon reaching the Cap Rock section of the park, they attempted to cremate Parsons' body by pouring five gallons of gasoline into the open coffin and throwing a lit match inside; what resulted was an enormous fireball.

The two were arrested several days later. Since there was no law against stealing a dead body, they were only fined $750[52] for stealing the coffin and were not prosecuted for leaving 35 pounds (16 kg) of his charred remains in the desert. What remained of Parsons' body was eventually buried in Garden of Memories Cemetery in Metairie, Louisiana.

The site of Parsons' cremation is today known as The Cap Rock Parking Lot. A local myth brings Parsons fans out to a large rock flake known to rock climbers as The Gram Parsons Memorial Hand Traverse. This myth was popularized when someone added a slab that marked Parsons' cremation to the memorial rock. The slab has since been removed by the U.S. National Park Service, and relocated to the Joshua Tree Inn. There is no monument at Cap Rock noting Parsons' cremation at the site.[53] Joshua Tree park guides are given the option to tell the story of Parsons' cremation during tours, but there is no mention of the act in official maps or brochures.[53] Fans regularly assemble simple rock structures and writings on the rock, which the Park Service periodically removes.[53]

don’t want a funeral but playing along I’d choose #34 by DMB

Same. Maybe even break out those Double Door Inn discs. 😎

Reactions: WildcatfaninOhio
Remeber When

Go Rest High On That Mountain

When I get where I'm going

Amazing Grace

Incidentally came across this on the nets yesterday, thought of this thread... not what I would chose, but I imagine some of you might get a chuckle thinking of it played at a funeral. I did.

One because of the message. Two because it is 20 minutes long and will piss everyone off.

I’m not having a funeral. Also donating my body to science.

Same! Paperwork is all done and filed away, and immediate family all know the details. I’ll become a practice body for surgical students, after they harvest whatever organs or tissues that someone else might need.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT