ADVERTISEMENT

What I've seen from UT.

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
1. Very capable of beating us convincingly.
2. Offense is not as potent as with Hooker. WRs will make tough catches. Can run the ball effectively. Milton is not as accurate as Hooker. He can tuck and run. All 3 levels of our defense HAVE to be extremely disciplined or they'll hit some big plays, which is what their offense is all about. I don't believe the scheme or Milton is suited to 15-play drives where they dink and dunk down the field. If we lose somebody on defense though, it's most likely a TD.
3. Defense is better than it's been previously, ranking high in both TFL and sacks. OL has to have a good game or we'll play right into their hands. Play action should work well as they scheme for negative plays. If Davis can break through that first level, he may have several long runs. However, he may also have multiple times hit in the backfield, especially if the OL misses assignments as they've done most of this year. Seems like their D got tired in the 2nd half vs Bama, which could be advantageous for us as long as we sustain drives. Passing game needs to be short routes into vacated areas when UT wants to create a sack. Long developing pass plays will be disastrous. Leary needs to be very precise. Receivers have to catch the easy ones. Tosses to RBs could be critical, especially if UT blitzes.
4. Kicking game can't let us down like it did vs MO. We need punts to be 40+ yards and not give UT great field position all night.

I'm honestly shocked UT is only favored by -3.5 right now. I just can't see us putting up enough points to beat them. If our QB play was better, I'd give us more of a chance.
"Can't see us scoring enough points to beat them"....wonder why that is? Seems like a recurring issue for a while now that we can't find the reason why🤔🤔

2. Offense is not as potent as with Hooker. WRs will make tough catches. Can run the ball effectively. Milton is not as accurate as Hooker. He can tuck and run. All 3 levels of our defense HAVE to be extremely disciplined or they'll hit some big plays, which is what their offense is all about. I don't believe the scheme or Milton is suited to 15-play drives where they dink and dunk down the field. If we lose somebody on defense though, it's most likely a TD.
3. Defense is better than it's been previously, ranking high in both TFL and sacks. OL has to have a good game or we'll play right into their hands. Play action should work well as they scheme for negative plays. If Davis can break through that first level, he may have several long runs. However, he may also have multiple times hit in the backfield, especially if the OL misses assignments as they've done most of this year. Seems like their D got tired in the 2nd half vs Bama, which could be advantageous for us as long as we sustain drives. Passing game needs to be short routes into vacated areas when UT wants to create a sack. Long developing pass plays will be disastrous. Leary needs to be very precise. Receivers have to catch the easy ones. Tosses to RBs could be critical, especially if UT blitzes.
4. Kicking game can't let us down like it did vs MO. We need punts to be 40+ yards and not give UT great field position all night.
Adopt the UF/Bama game plan. They ran very effectively, UF had a RB who went for about 170 on them, Bama's RB went for around 130 or so. Davis has a game like that it increases UK's chances. They also shut down TN's running game and made Overthrow Joe try to beat them...and he couldn't. Pretty good runner, UK needs to spy him.

UK has a chance if they don't beat themselves. As I've stated elsewhere, I'm more concerned about external things, Chumlee's using the TN sports media as his proxy for bitching about officiating and that bothers me.

Adopt the UF/Bama game plan. They ran very effectively, UF had a RB who went for about 170 on them, Bama's RB went for around 130 or so. Davis has a game like that it increases UK's chances. They also shut down TN's running game and made Overthrow Joe try to beat them...and he couldn't. Pretty good runner, UK needs to spy him.

UK has a chance if they don't beat themselves. As I've stated elsewhere, I'm more concerned about external things, Chumlee's using the TN sports media as his proxy for bitching about officiating and that bothers me.
I thought UT got a great whistle at Bama. I saw 3 face mask calls and one blow to the head of a Bama RB that didn’t get called. Funny how late a UT defender looked to the bench and went down. He caused a delay in the game UT always complains about other folks doing that to them.

UF shut it down with 5 in the box, and i don't think they are great. It let them play with 6 back. And they tackled horribly against UF, made their backs look like Emmitt Smith. I think Davis gives them lots of trouble. There will be some lame excuse if they don't win, you can count on that.

So basically, what you are saying, based on what we have seen lately, is.......we have zero chance of beating UT?

I thought UT got a great whistle at Bama. I saw 3 face mask calls and one blow to the head of a Bama RB that didn’t get called. Funny how late a UT defender looked to the bench and went down. He caused a delay in the game UT always complains about other folks doing that to them.
The elbow blow to the head by UT's #44 was comical, but then there wasn't really anything funny about it -- Amazing how no one saw that but the entire stadium...?!

So basically, what you are saying, based on what we have seen lately, is.......we have zero chance of beating UT?
I sincerely hope not. UT is beatable but not if we play our C (or worse) game. We need to play well, play clean, stay disciplined and just execute the easy stuff. If we lose our cool, our intensity, our focus, our confidence, our discipline, it will be a long, long game and we'll be on the losing end of it.

In the first half, Bama spied on Joe Milton and Milton hit on a bunch of checkdowns and man coverages. Saban made an adjustment at halftime and Bama changed their coverages. Milton had some nice runs in the second half but Bama shut doen his passing game. We can do the same but our tackling has to improve this week FWIW.

It looked like UT lost 3 starters on D to injury in that game, I guess we will see if they play this week.

Reactions: EdgeHD
It looked like UT lost 3 starters on D to injury in that game, I guess we will see if they play this week.
At this point in the season, some starters get dinged up and depth becomes more important. Case in point, Trevin Wallace. Not that Rayner was bad necessarily, but Wallace is one of our very best. If you want to make it tougher for Joe Milton, Wallace has to be on the field at close to full speed.

All facets of UK's game have to improve. Are they beatable? Yep. Will UK beat them? I'm certainly not betting we do. lol
UT is beatable this season, but not by a Stoops team with poor skill position play. UT -3.5 is money in the bank. They are likely to put up 50 on us. We might score 20 with a better showing than we have had in every game except UF.

We beat UF at home. UF easily beat UT last month. That does not necessarily mean we win this week, but it means we have the weapons to do it. It is disappointing to see how easily people are giving up on this team when Wallace and Silver have been out. UT and UF have not given up. We get those starters back and we can beat the other teams. Of course Barion Brown has to catch the ball. I know that. Coen knows that. This week is an opportunity.

Reactions: BlueTick2
They are quicker up front than big so may get a little tired late in games. But their quickness and athleticism up front and at LB is a problem we'll have to face. Have to make them run sideways with motion, misdirection and crossing stuff. Have to make them stop a beat to see which way we're going, cant let them just tee off and get in our backfield.

They are quicker up front than big so may get a little tired late in games. But their quickness and athleticism up front and at LB is a problem we'll have to face. Have to make them run sideways with motion, misdirection and crossing stuff. Have to make them stop a beat to see which way we're going, cant let them just tee off and get in our backfield.
Against Bama, their front seven played much better in the first half than the second half. This tells us that Bama wore them out.

UT is beatable this season, but not by a Stoops team with poor skill position play. UT -3.5 is money in the bank. They are likely to put up 50 on us. We might score 20 with a better showing than we have had in every game except UF.
Yep, then we'll hear about how it's "time to get back to work... gotta' clean up some things..."

Reactions: rivercatinfl
Against Bama, their front seven played much better in the first half than the second half. This tells us that Bama wore them out.
That, but momentum has a way of crushing souls.... it this were played at UT, then the stadium energy may have kept them in this game a bit longer...

Alabama was called for one penalty for five yards in the entire game. How is that a great whistle???

This is a game that UK can win, and prior to the Mizzou debacle, I might even have said SHOUld win. But, UK's annual gack against UT makes me very hesitant to expect much. To win, we'll have to reverse some horrible trends (annual horrible game against UT, stoops inability to stop the heupel offense, and Stoops horrible after a bye).

Reactions: gamecockcat
UT #44 should of been ejected 100%. They had 3 face mask calls that were let go!!

That, but momentum has a way of crushing souls.... it this were played at UT, then the stadium energy may have kept them in this game a bit longer...
I agree. I thought we basically lost the game in the first minute of the 2nd half. We kicked to Bama, who scored on 2 plays, which finally brought the Bama crowd to life, so on our next possession we really needed to answer with some points. We return the KO out to the 20, but the refs moved the ball back to the 3 yd line because apparently a UT player up on the front line raised his hand above his shoulder. I'm not disputing the call, just saying it was strange and at a terrible time for us, as it meant we basically had to waste a possession with 3 run plays and then punt and give Bama good field possession, because with the crowd now pumped up the last thing we needed was Milton getting sacked in the EZ (just don't trust his internal clock in that situation). But I told my buddy that we had just lost the game because momentum had completely swung, and the crowd was now fired up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT