ADVERTISEMENT

What is the best tasting single item / ingredient ?

I'll stick with my original answer of lobster and crab legs but for a fruit there's nothing more tasty IMO than the pawpaw. Good luck finding them because their shelf life is incredibly short. 2 days, maybe 3. Farmer's markets or a neighbor's yard.

__opt__aboutcom__coeus__resources__content_migration__serious_eats__seriouseats.com__images__2014__09__20140915-pawpaws-americas-best-secret-fruit-cutting-board-samara-linnell-f24cff2e4aa7407fad4562af6b374e29.jpg
Interesting, I’ve never heard of a pawpaw.

Tabasco is my go to hot sauce
That’s a good one Bill Shy, I like the Cajun better vs a Creole hot sauce cause it has more crawfish and pork in it 🍺
Some people say Tabasco is from Texas but it ain’t, it was originally made and recipe in a central Louisiana parish they used on catfish at a place that did nothing but catfish dinners to spice up the taste. I can’t remember the town but that’s what my mom told me, she from that area

Reactions: Bill - Shy Cat
trying not to name something that has already been said, i'll go with cilantro.

Reactions: roguemocha
A good apple is hard to beat. JMHO.

A few said crab/lobster...can't argue that but would add shrimp to list.

I'll stick with my original answer of lobster and crab legs but for a fruit there's nothing more tasty IMO than the pawpaw. Good luck finding them because their shelf life is incredibly short. 2 days, maybe 3. Farmer's markets or a neighbor's yard.

__opt__aboutcom__coeus__resources__content_migration__serious_eats__seriouseats.com__images__2014__09__20140915-pawpaws-americas-best-secret-fruit-cutting-board-samara-linnell-f24cff2e4aa7407fad4562af6b374e29.jpg
To me, taste like a cross between a pear & banana. You're right about shelf life - why they're not commercialized. Seeds are a PITA. Dad loved them as they grew wild on my grandpa's farm land.

Reactions: UK82
Homegrown tomatoes. I walk through my garden eatin them til I damn near get sick. Got about 8 different kind. Cherokee purple is my favorite. Can’t wait til they start ripening!
That was me as a kid. Of course they were warm, even hot. Grandpa put out like 1500 plants & sold at farmer's markets.

Cayenne and Vanilla for cooking, each does great things with just about any food.
Crappie for fish
If I can't have salt, pepper and olive oil on it then I would say ribeye steak
Chocolate if you forgive the sugar, but it is the one most tasty substance ever for me. It is incredibly addicting and I could eat it in just about any form. Love the stuff.

In my humble opinion...
  • Can't be meat or fish because that needs some seasoning
  • Can't be chocolate cause chocolate sucks if there's no sugar added to it
  • Tomatoes are good but need seasoning if plain
  • Garlic is good, but again, is infinitely better on something or with something
  • Cilantro is fantastic, but tastes kind of like grass by itself
  • Lemon? Are you serious?
  • Bacon is cured
  • Peanut butter sucks unless sugar is added
  • Mushrooms have no taste unless seasoned and cooked
  • Honey is apparently processed by bees so that's oddly out
  • Leafy greens (only taste good with ranch dressing - lol)
  • Coffee and tea have to be mixed with water
That leaves only a few choices:
  • Fruit
  • Maple syrup (unless that is processed by maple trees)
  • Sweet potatoes
My vote would be sweet potatoes.

Reactions: GeraldV
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT