ADVERTISEMENT

What are your UNrealistic expectations for next year?

b3eb99b24c442be4e8f9c5eecb683abe62b049c8.gif

Oh wait, you meant something else...never mind.

If we land the guys we’re after in the transfer portal, and we have maybe the best coaching staff in the country, I would guess a 36-4 SEC Champion + Playing in the title game.

But I’m happy if there’s an exciting style of basketball on the floor, and we’re still dancing after the first weekend.

Last edited:
Lurked for 24 years but can't keep quiet on this subject so here's my first and maybe last post for awhile.

I remember watching Tubby's 1st season and the 98 team win it all followed by 12 years of heartache. I remember Cal taking it in 2012 and knew then that I should expect a lot more of this. Only got more disappointment that slowly turned to disenchantment with what UK Basketball had turned into.
What I want for this Coach and UK Basketball is to yearly build and field players that are driven to excel in their sport inspired by a group of Coaches that actually take pride in the product they put on the court.
Do I expect a NATY year 1? No way. Do I expect the Ky teams that will be produced by Coach Pope to play to WIN leaving it all on the court? Hell yes! Every single game. Should I expect National titles? You bet your sweet bippy I do.
That's all I have to say about that. Current status=Lurking

Can’t have expectations going in.
Start developing some around mid February and into March. That being said, give Pope a chance, trust his process, and go from there. I like what I see so far.

Reactions: CBBCrazy
SS at least and competitive in the SEC, top 4.

Unfortunately for Pope Cal has put us in a hell of a hole. Last title 13 years ago, last F4 10 years, last SECT title 6 years ago, last reg. Season SEC 5 years ago.

This fanbase is desperate for wins.

We need to temper expectations his first year. If he looses the national championship by a last second shot I’ll be upset but won’t sell his house. Year 2 though……..

-I'm expecting the Cal pumpers to NOT continue to dog everything Pope does or doesn't do.

-I'm expecting UK fans to be patient and not expect a FF run in Coach Pope's first year.

-I'm expecting that NO ONE freaks out after our first loss, missed signing/recruit, and/or bad offensive game.

Those are my unrealistic expectations as of now

Reactions: wardlow and know1
Man, well, at least some of you acknowledge the expectations are unrealistic. Elite 8? Final Four? Not a remote possibility.

This is not going to be a normal year. Most coaches don’t have to build an entire roster in April starting from scratch. I think it’s fair to expect a Final Four within 3-4 years if a roster aligns with that expectation.

For me- winning a game in the tournament is my realistic view. Winning two games would be a great start for Pope but not expected.

I’m just looking forward to enjoying basketball again.

I was sour on Cal for quite a while, but officially was done with him in 2019. I'm willing to give Pope some leash to get things established. No idea what to expect this year without a roster to look at. I definitely expect more than 20 wins out of the gate. I don't think that's asking much at Kentucky. 25 win season would be a solid first year. I don't like lowering my expectations, because I expect us to win the SEC 6-7 times out of every 10 yrs, and the same for the SECT. There is zero excuse for UK to not make the Sweet 16 at a minimum every year. So I think I'm being reasonable giving Pope some leeway this first season.

That BBN acts like rational adults when the first year under Pope is most likely going to be meh.

I feel he will put a good product on the floor. We will win 20 plus with the opportunity to be a really good team come March. I trust Coach Pope and I have not been able to say that about our coach for years. Go CATS!!!!!!!!

At or above the same record as last year. Win more post season SEC AND NCAA games.....maybe top end of sweet 16 anything there or more would put Pope on map even more so for future recruiting battles.

AND COLLEGE BASKETBALL AT KY AGAIN NO MORE DEVELOPMENT LEAGUE CRAP FOR "DRAFT SPOT PLACEMENT"!!!!!

Reactions: know1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT