ADVERTISEMENT

Dontae Allen is in the portal ...

Dontae is taking his "covid year", and is in the portal. I can't think of anything that would please me any more than for Mark Pope to sign Dontae Allen. I wouldn't care if he was the last man on the end of the bench and got nothing other than garbage minutes ... just to stick that in the face of "the former guy."

Any of y'all think Dontae could help the 'Cats this coming season ?

Go 'Cats ! ! !
I would love to see Dontae come back to Kentucky.

LOL.

You think it's weird that our fans won't shut up about Calipari a month after he left the program in ashes when the same fanbase won't shut up about Pitino 27 years after he left the program as the #1 program in the nation?

There is no moving on. This is Kentucky. All of it - past, present and future - matters. It's a surprise you don't seem to understand that.
Yeah, that ain't happening. There's been a few petty/juvenile posts, but we're not gonna stop. We're not "better than that"...whatever that means. Cal was right...we ARE crazy. This IS BBN. Embrace the madness.

Last edited:
Reactions: NociHTTP
Dontae is taking his "covid year", and is in the portal. I can't think of anything that would please me any more than for Mark Pope to sign Dontae Allen. I wouldn't care if he was the last man on the end of the bench and got nothing other than garbage minutes ... just to stick that in the face of "the former guy."

Any of y'all think Dontae could help the 'Cats this coming season ?

Go 'Cats ! ! !
Dontaie Allen barely even contributed at Western—he’s not helping us with anything. Plus, he was asked to leave the team by Plona because he was so unbelievably lazy. Absolutely horrific take.

You're not going to find many quality players to fill up the last 3 or 4 scholarships. No very good player wants to sit and get mop up minutes. You're going to have to get a few guys that know their limitations and just want to be apart of the team. I'd be fine with him coming with the expectation of being a cigar man, but if he played well, he might get bonus minutes. If you don't sign a few guys like Allen, then don't expect to fill up all 13 scholarships.
You are correct. As it stands right now, the seven (7) veteran players averaged a totaling 193 minutes last year. So, minutes are already at a premium, they will have to be earned and sacrifices will have to be made for the good of the team. Perry and Chandler will also want to be in the mix for playing time. Additional portal signees will be looking for minutes, too.

Last edited:
Reactions: NociHTTP
I pray this is the last thread about Dontaie Allen
Why not pray for what you can control? This might be a better prayer for you. Pray that this is the last Dontae post that you choose to read. You have the power of choice; use it wisely.

Reactions: JASUN74
It's not at all a crime. However, when constructing a roster to win games and be a contender, you can't have blind loyalty to the in-state kids.
I clearly stated he doesn’t need to be anything other then a victory cigar — several players on every team ride the pine . Why not him ? So much hate for this guy

Reactions: JASUN74
I clearly stated he doesn’t need to be anything other then a victory cigar — several players on every team ride the pine . Why not him ? So much hate for this guy
I don't think it's hate for him. Yes, crapapari screwed with him but he left and had every chance to show that crapapari was wrong at WKU but he couldn't even show it there.
He is what he is. A division 3 player that some think is D1.

Reactions: cat tat2
Pretty sad to see so many ridicule a kid who probably grew up dreaming of becoming a Wildcat his whole life. And after achieving that dream having to play for a psychopath narcissist. Thought this was the kind of attitudes we were glad to be shedding. Guess not.

I don't see this as sticking it to Cal as much as it is giving a Ky kid the chance he didn't get under Cal.

I wouldn't expect Allen to be a big contributor to Kentucky but if UK has a scholarship it isn't planning on filling, I'd love to have him on the team.

But I doubt he is looking to get scrub minutes on any team, much less Kentucky

Allen is the kind of kid that needs to be far away from friends and family who can drive an hour or two to tell him how great he is and should get more playing time.

Get him away from his crew and maybe he starts taking his craft more seriously.

Reactions: 2Dope15
No problem at all if there is a scholarship left after the roster is 💯 done.

would be a better practice player than Zan Payne.
Yeah that’s kinda how I think about it. If we get Robinson and/or, Anchor Anchor, the guy from Seton Hall, the guy from Morehead, Lanier or someone who moves the needle, yeah I wouldn’t mind him as a practice player. Not because I think he could get 20 minutes a game or anything, just that I think he could help when preparing for other similar to him on it opposing team. Now I honestly would rather have every spot filled win someone who’s going to compete for playing time. And hellll no I don’t care if it hurts feelings. I don’t think the guys we’ve got so far are built like that. I’m all in for whoever Mark gets.

This is what I’ve been saying. I don’t get people who are saying guys like Caleb Lohner and Allen aren’t worthy of a scholly spot.

WHY NOT? It ain’t like we have a shortage. We only have nine players. If we don’t offer to any guys on this level, then we’ll likely just end up leaving extra scholarships unused. Isn’t a highly experienced D1 player at least better than an empty chair when you’re facing bench depth issues?

In truth, 5th year seniors like these guys are actually perfect for this sort of thing. They only use the scholly for one season and then it’s immediately available for someone better the next. We lose NOTHING by offering these guys.
I agree as long as it’s after we get turned down by the top players we’re after and Im pretty confident we’re still after two or three big time guys who will 100% be as good or better than anyone on the roster as of now. I just don’t see Pope getting this job and thinking small or medium! I would imagine he and this unbelievable staff have to be thinking let’s show the world something special. I hope so anyway. Thank UK90. I do get your point and agree with you as long as we have the spot left. Four more to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: UK90
Get him away from his crew and maybe he starts taking his craft more seriously.
He’s nearly 24 years old and is entering his 6th season as a CBB player. I think it might be a little too late at this point for him to “start” doing that.

He needs to find a place that will provide him ample opportunity to do the one thing he does well: fire open spot up jumpshots. When he gets hot and open looks, he’s actually damn good at that.

But I don’t think it’s realistic to think in his final season he can finally figure out how to do all those other things he stunk at before. That ship has sailed.

Reactions: UK-chulo
You are correct, of course, UK90. Sometimes I let my deep and abiding antipathy for the former guy get the best of me ! Mea culpa. Unfortunately, that's only one of my many failings. Alas. :cool:
Go 'Cats ! ! !
Man Cals gone just move on

Why in the world would we want him back,there must be 300 guys still in portal better than him. I'm all for having UK kids on the team but this is asking a bit much. I want guys on our team who can help us win, don't see him as one or them. As for the OPs Cal angle,let it go fella

• Love
Reactions: Zissou87
LOL.

You think it's weird that our fans won't shut up about Calipari a month after he left the program in ashes when the same fanbase won't shut up about Pitino 27 years after he left the program as the #1 program in the nation?

There is no moving on. This is Kentucky. All of it - past, present and future - matters. It's a surprise you don't seem to understand that.

What's done is done.

It's time to see what Mark Pope can do.

Move on. Don't move on. Kind of silly tho if u ask me.

LOL.

What is really weird is that he seems to care enough about Cal to defend him. Your response is spot on. RP saved this program from the ashes and Cal attempted to put it back in the ashes. However, some think Cal should receive better treatment than RP received. I don't think so. Cal didn't leave to take an NBA job; he left because the coward didn't believe he could resurrect the program that he had trashed. I have no issues with whomever wants to call Cal out for the narcissist that he is.

Reactions: cat tat2
That 9-16 team roster was so bad. Clarke and Boston were both not ready, terrible PG. Mintz was ok, and Allen was actually one of the more productive players for like 10 games. Jackson was the only legit player. We lost so many games by 5 points that year.
It is amazing just how short the Allen bashers memories are. Allen was far from being the worst player on that team. Cal screwed with Allen's confidence because he didn't want fans to see that he could be more productive than some of the 5-star players Cal signed. He couldn't go after Allen about scoring, so he went after him for his defense as if the others were playing great defense. He would put in games to only snatch him out within seconds of being in the game. While leaving the court, Cal would berate him all the way to bench to rub salt in his wound. Kentucky's defensive woes have always been more about Cal than the players.

Reactions: Fox2monk
It is amazing just how short the Allen bashers memories are. Allen was far from being the worst player on that team. Cal screwed with Allen's confidence because he didn't want fans to see that he could be more productive than some of the 5-star players Cal signed. He couldn't go after Allen about scoring, so he went after him for his defense as if the others were playing great defense. He would put in games to only snatch him out within seconds of being in the game. While leaving the court, Cal would berate him all the way to bench to rub salt in his wound. Kentucky's defensive woes have always been more about Cal than the players.
I agree somewhat. On that team Allen was one of the better scorers and he won at least 2 games. Truth is that team sucked and there was a reason they went 9-16. Time has proven that he wasn’t a solid D1 player though.

I agree somewhat. On that team Allen was one of the better scorers and he won at least 2 games. Truth is that team sucked and there was a reason they went 9-16. Time has proven that he wasn’t a solid D1 player though.
I don't recall a single poster in this thread accusing Dontae of being a solid D1 player. I recall posters stating that you are not going to get solid D1 players to volunteer to get buried on a bench in a role where they know they are not likely to play. However, there are possible positions on the team for players who possibly do one thing really well be it defense or offense that could be an asset to the team. UK has had less capable players on its team. By the way, he has been good enough to get his degree paid for or nearly paid for. I would say that means he has accomplished more athletically than most on this board, imho.

I don't recall a single poster in this thread accusing Dontae of being a solid D1 player. I recall posters stating that you are not going to get solid D1 players to volunteer to get buried on a bench in a role where they know they are not likely to play. However, there are possible positions on the team for players who possibly do one thing really well be it defense or offense that could be an asset to the team. UK has had less capable players on its team. By the way, he has been good enough to get his degree paid for or nearly paid for. I would say that means he has accomplished more athletically than most on this board, imho.
Of course he has, but there are plenty of guys we can get to sit the bench out there. He wouldn’t be the worst but I don’t see any reason to bring him back. I’d assume in his last year he would want to play more minutes anyway.

Of course he has, but there are plenty of guys we can get to sit the bench out there. He wouldn’t be the worst but I don’t see any reason to bring him back. I’d assume in his last year he would want to play more minutes anyway.
You might be right.

Reactions: Fox2monk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT