ADVERTISEMENT

We'll See

troll GIF

We have a good group on paper, the key to any team is chemistry. Can they come together for the good of the team? If they buy into Pope's system and play that style we can be a good team. He has a few more pieces to get. I am all in, I think we can be a tournament team. One thing I do know, we already have a better defense than we had last year and haven't played a game. We are stronger in the middle so toss it up and lets go.

Sooo where we’re at is being excited about maybe making the tournament?

Man oh man how quickly people change.

Reactions: W1LDCAT22
Expecting some stumbles. I will be thrilled if we make the tournament. It may take a few years to see if this experiment works. NIL could be a problem for us moving forward, though. Looks like we will have to reload next year as well.

Reactions: bkimrey2
I se
We are either going to be really good or really bad.

@Basscat1987 said it rather well in his post about not having a dog but my only concern is not having what some would consider as swagger and tenacity.

Statistically on paper we're bringing in people that are good players or even role players but the paper doesn't reflect that "it" factor to compete in intense games and the hard nose edge it takes to win those.

It's also interesting because at this point we're evaluating a cultural change and mindset. It's not high schoolers tearing the rim off a backboard and projected lottery picks etc. It's more of a fundamentally sound approach with players that wouldn't have had an opportunity at UK with the exception of 2 and maybe 3.

We'll see but Pope is holding strong to the kids that want to be here mindset and in my head I'm trying to balance are we almost taking anyone that embodies the culture rather than getting the best talent and balancing the two. He'll have his coaching work cut out for him in conference play but I'm pleased to see how quickly we've gained commits just starting to question for some reason some of the ones we have.
I see it different. I think everyone he's brought in play extremely hard. That is what separates avg teams from good teams

@Basscat1987 said it rather well in his post about not having a dog but my only concern is not having what some would consider as swagger and tenacity.

Statistically on paper we're bringing in people that are good players or even role players but the paper doesn't reflect that "it" factor to compete in intense games and the hard nose edge it takes to win those.

It's also interesting because at this point we're evaluating a cultural change and mindset. It's not high schoolers tearing the rim off a backboard and projected lottery picks etc. It's more of a fundamentally sound approach with players that wouldn't have had an opportunity at UK with the exception of 2 and maybe 3.

We'll see but Pope is holding strong to the kids that want to be here mindset and in my head I'm trying to balance are we almost taking anyone that embodies the culture rather than getting the best talent and balancing the two. He'll have his coaching work cut out for him in conference play but I'm pleased to see how quickly we've gained commits just starting to question for some reason some of the ones we have.
Pope hasn't been coach a month. Just got all his coaches a few days ago. Is getting some commitments and Jethro Bodine shows up to post. Unreal the level of some folks lack of awareness.

How many on BYU this season would have pleased this crowd before 2023-2024?

They did alright.

Basically Pope had to spot most of the country 11 months of recruiting. And the cupboard was completely bare. Nobody from last season stuck around,

This roster is like looking for coins in your couch.

I bet we win +20 games and make the tournament.

Expecting some stumbles. I will be thrilled if we make the tournament. It may take a few years to see if this experiment works. NIL could be a problem for us moving forward, though. Looks like we will have to reload next year as well.
As will most years. Pope is not an "experiment". He's a very good coach who did fantastic in an environment where recruiting top talent is almost a no-go.

Well I’m pretty confident they won’t be really bad. They’ll at minimum be very competitive. There’s still a few spots to fill. I’m willing to bet he’s going to shoot high for at least 2 of these spots

I agree, and not just because of the tag. We have 9 good basketball players right now. But do we have any bucket getters? I don’t really see one yet. Will we be good defensively? I think defense might be what we rely on a lot next year with the roster as it sits now. Time will tell. I’m not really concerned bc I’m not considering next year a must win. Obviously it can’t be like the 9-16 team but I don’t think there’s anyway we get to that. Right now I think we have a chance to be top 20ish good, add a star and maybe we can be one of those teams. Just my opinion.
I see it differently: Butler got buckets in the NCAA Tourney all the way into the championship game. Kriisa(SP) got buckets at Arizona and WVU. Carr not afraid to take the shot, Brea same. So I am guessing you do not trust the coaches doing the analytics and picking their players. I would think Pope, Fueger, Fox and Brooks knows more about basketball than us guys here. Not sure they are done yet either. He likes to go 11 deep and we are at 9 with 4 more spots available. I say he adds 2 to 3 late additions. Maybe a foreign guy who knows.

We’ll see alright. I’ve watched around 10 games total in the past 5 years because it hasn’t been the same.

I’ll plan on watching at least 10 games this year regardless of results.

Last edited:
Reactions: blue cincy
As of right now I will watch every game I can. It will be exciting to see how Pope does at UK and how he is in game. Also want to see what we play like with 5 year senior full grown men playing. Hope we come together quickly.

I see it differently: Butler got buckets in the NCAA Tourney all the way into the championship game. Kriisa(SP) got buckets at Arizona and WVU. Carr not afraid to take the shot, Brea same. So I am guessing you do not trust the coaches doing the analytics and picking their players. I would think Pope, Fueger, Fox and Brooks knows more about basketball than us guys here. Not sure they are done yet either. He likes to go 11 deep and we are at 9 with 4 more spots available. I say he adds 2 to 3 late additions. Maybe a foreign guy who knows.
I think my confusion lies with what you see as far as "kentucky has offered or contacted" with the players in the portal and how some choose quickly and others have not or chosen elsewhere. It's just me putting my thoughts on paper but it seems majority of the high targeted players have went elsewhere. NIL of course, promises, etc.

REALITY- Pope won 20+ games in 5 of the last 6 seasons, beat Kansas at Kansas, Baylor twice, Iowa St... finished 2nd for made 3 pointers last year. And he did all of that with MUCH less talented teams than he has right now. His top four 3pt shooters last year shot 38.5%, 37%, 36.4% and 35.9%... his top four guys on this team shot 49.8%, 42.4%, 37.7% and 37.1%... and that doesn't include Travis Perry or Collin Chandler who we know can also fill it up from deep.

I think my confusion lies with what you see as far as "kentucky has offered or contacted" with the players in the portal and how some choose quickly and others have not or chosen elsewhere. It's just me putting my thoughts on paper but it seems majority of the high targeted players have went elsewhere. NIL of course, promises, etc.
My thing is from day 1, Mark Pope said he will do a few things and priority is this.

Guys will play for the name on the front of the jersey.
Guys will fit what I (CMP) and my staff are looking for in a player.
Guys will play for each other and the name on the jersey.

Some of those high profile guys, my guess is Osobor, is not in that mold. JQ wanted $$$$$$ only wanted a bidding war (due to his family). I have no problem with a coach going after and getting the guys he wants. There are guys I wish we would go after as well but I am not the coach. So I go watch film on who he is bringing in and going to analytics sites to see we have the #1 and #2 3 point shooters in the portal. Kriisa and Brea, we have a highly graded out Carr and so forth. I think it is more than ***** and rankings on portals (We have all seen them way wrong in the past), it is building a team and you cannot have issues. I think they are putting in 24 hours a day with their white board and 29 players on it and now they are probably down to about 10 to 15 guys (most in the draft) for up to 4 roster spots.

My thing is from day 1, Mark Pope said he will do a few things and priority is this.

Some of those high profile guys, my guess is Osobor, is not in that mold. JQ wanted $$$$$$ only wanted a bidding war (due to his family). I have no problem with a coach going after and getting the guys he wants. There are guys I wish we would go after as well but I am not the coach. So I go watch film on who he is bringing in and going to analytics sites to see we have the #1 and #2 3 point shooters in the portal. Kriisa and Brea, we have a highly graded out Carr and so forth. I think it is more than ***** and rankings on portals (We have all seen them way wrong in the past), it is building a team and you cannot have issues. I think they are putting in 24 hours a day with their white board and 29 players on it and now they are probably down to about 10 to 15 guys (most in the draft) for up to 4 roster spots.
I agree 100% with majority of that and to my point earlier it will come down to the start of conference play. I know the coaching staff is clearly working their tail off and I'm excited about the grades of statistics we have on the roster. It'll be interesting to see how the pope game plan roles into the SEC.

Let me see...we have 1 title from Cal. Even though we have about 30 dudes in the league since he got here. If he could coach, we would have a minimum of 5 titles. So how about we see what Pope can do...since he can coach and win with FAR less talent. Just sayin

Reactions: littlecreek

My only concern with that is while we are referencing the top 3 point percentage shooters in the portal.. that's all we are talking about and can any of them get to the basket.

Kadery Richmond (I would love to have him here). I watched a bunch of Big East games (reminds me of old times) and he is not some crazy superstar but is one of the toughest kids I watched this year. I would love one more combo guard that is great with the ball in his hand (name does not matter) just someone that is tough with the ball in his hand. I would like the best available PF left in the portal that can play out to in but is a guy that is awesome around the basket (oscar but with a 20 foot game). I would like a utility guy that could be plugged in at the 2-4 sports and make us a totally different team when they are on the court. So we are playing say Duke and we start out hot in the normal Pope offense and Duke in the middle of the first half start getting a couple of stops, Pope puts in say player x and Oweh and we start going inside out, crashing the boards, take it to them again and they have to adjust, then Pope puts in a combo and plays a 3rd way with maybe a 1-3-1 defense. Now we have a team off balance the rest of the day (like teams have done to Cal for 10 years).

I think we get 2 to 3 guys and no idea what position they will play but all 3 will probably be capable of starting.

I think the only solid starters we have right now are Williams, Carr and Butler. I also think Perry is going to be better than most think. I do not think he starts but I think he plays 10 to 12 minutes a night and will get a couple of 3's most games.

Kadery Richmond (I would love to have him here). I watched a bunch of Big East games (reminds me of old times) and he is not some crazy superstar but is one of the toughest kids I watched this year. I would love one more combo guard that is great with the ball in his hand (name does not matter) just someone that is tough with the ball in his hand. I would like the best available PF left in the portal that can play out to in but is a guy that is awesome around the basket (oscar but with a 20 foot game). I would like a utility guy that could be plugged in at the 2-4 sports and make us a totally different team when they are on the court. So we are playing say Duke and we start out hot in the normal Pope offense and Duke in the middle of the first half start getting a couple of stops, Pope puts in say player x and Oweh and we start going inside out, crashing the boards, take it to them again and they have to adjust, then Pope puts in a combo and plays a 3rd way with maybe a 1-3-1 defense. Now we have a team off balance the rest of the day (like teams have done to Cal for 10 years).

I think we get 2 to 3 guys and no idea what position they will play but all 3 will probably be capable of starting.

I think the only solid starters we have right now are Williams, Carr and Butler. I also think Perry is going to be better than most think. I do not think he starts but I think he plays 10 to 12 minutes a night and will get a couple of 3's most games.
Now we're talking. Agreed. We're missing those 1 or 2. We've got the rest. The same people that don't want to express hesitation upfront will be the ones in the end saying "this team sucks" "fire pope" etc. I think he'll be a great coach and ambassador, I just think we are lacking one or two pieces on the roster.

I think actually the team we’ve assembled, with possibly five starters who are 5th year seniors, is more likely to be really middle-of-the-road than really good or really bad.

Now we're talking. Agreed. We're missing those 1 or 2. We've got the rest. The same people that don't want to express hesitation upfront will be the ones in the end saying "this team sucks" "fire pope" etc. I think he'll be a great coach and ambassador, I just think we are lacking one or two pieces on the roster.
The fun and hard thing is what pieces will be available and do they fit (meaning will Pope go for them). I do not want them to get 2 more 6 11 guys because they are the best available. That is the hard thing.

I really do not think we play like BYU played last year. I do not think we play slow or deliberate but I think we play slower (as of roster right now), and I feel like we are going to play different depending on who we are playing.

Get the right 2 or 3 and then we play one main style up front and make adjustments on the fly.

I think Butler is going to be better than most think. Not a 20 a night guy by any means but a glue guy that will get 12 a night and set up others well. Get the right guys around him Carr and williams and we be solid.

I’m pretty optimistic. I’m not putting a ceiling on what the 24-25 Cats will do. I think the floor is round of 32. The ceiling has no limit. I’m excited about the upcoming season. I have confidence in our coach.

The fun and hard thing is what pieces will be available and do they fit (meaning will Pope go for them). I do not want them to get 2 more 6 11 guys because they are the best available. That is the hard thing.

I really do not think we play like BYU played last year. I do not think we play slow or deliberate but I think we play slower (as of roster right now), and I feel like we are going to play different depending on who we are playing.

Get the right 2 or 3 and then we play one main style up front and make adjustments on the fly.

I think Butler is going to be better than most think. Not a 20 a night guy by any means but a glue guy that will get 12 a night and set up others well. Get the right guys around him Carr and williams and we be solid.
Appreciate the insight there and Butler is one I was and still am unsure of. Agree on the set up others well part and I think that is the model we are ultimately building.

@ThrowBackCat9 - You are brutal by the way. If this is a forum to just show your "Silver Status" to a new poster and slam a door emoji on their post, you are living a great life. I joined this forum after being a rivals member since 2004 to just talk UK basketball with an open mind. Sad to see you and your buddies think you are a God to respond like that to new posters that said nothing of insult. Maybe I'll make a new screen name tomorrow just to lay back in the recliner and be an *** on a sports forum to make my week. Brutal bud.

@ThrowBackCat9 - You are brutal by the way. If this is a forum to just show your "Silver Status" to a new poster and slam a door emoji on their post, you are living a great life. I joined this forum after being a rivals member since 2004 to just talk UK basketball with an open mind. Sad to see you and your buddies think you are a God to respond like that to new posters that said nothing of insult. Maybe I'll make a new screen name tomorrow just to lay back in the recliner and be an *** on a sports forum to make my week. Brutal bud.

I’m no one special bud. I pay $10 a month and not to have the silver status beside my name.. 😂 My apologies, wasn’t trying to hurt any feelings. If you are a true UK fan, time will show it. Happy posting!

I expect this team to have similar results to South Carolina last year. Bunch of guys who can play without any lottery picks. Cats will be different stylistically but have similar results. Type of team that has been taking the Cats lunch money last couple of years. This team has a better roster on paper than South Carolina last year.

Honestly, I don't care if we are "bad". We were gutted, it's this OAD mindset that needs to go, and regardless of how the year turns out, that is one thing that will be much improved upon. Why question Pope and staff? It's their FIRST YEAR. They didn't inherit ANYTHING.

This "swagger" I could do without. Prove it on the court.
This deserves more attention. This is truth. Long time UK fans have been waiting and hoping for this mindset to return. The blue collar players that show up every game whether they win or lose, and a coach that puts everyone n a position to win without favorites...this guy is right...all that swagger didnt translate into very much n the long run. I'd be ok with less swagger and more results. Even if it takes a lil time.

The hardest part about the way the roster is constructed now is that you have to choose between offense and defense. Your best defenders aren’t really scorers, your best scorers aren’t great defensively, with only 5 playing at a time, it’s gonna require a lot of tinkering and a lot of give and take to find the right formula. It’s not impossible just hard, especially in a league that is going to have a lot of really talented teams and great coaches. Again it’s not negative, it’s just an interesting game of give and take and how long does it take to figure it out. Time will tell, regardless it’s going to be interesting to watch.

This deserves more attention. This is truth. Long time UK fans have been waiting and hoping for this mindset to return. The blue collar players that show up every game whether they win or lose, and a coach that puts everyone n a position to win without favorites...this guy is right...all that swagger didnt translate into very much n the long run. I'd be ok with less swagger and more results. Even if it takes a lil time.
All I was saying initially is that we didn't in my mind have a player that stood out to having grit and swagger on the court. By this I mean't a go to guy you give the ball to and you want in his hands to win a game.

Maybe I'm oblivious and who knows. Again, I feel like we've built good depth with a few starters but majority of our transfers weren't allstars at their previous stops. Just concerns me a little and again "We'll see"

I said a few days ago I loved the direction we were heading but a few commitments over guys I wanted left me a little questionable.

There’s def enough talent on board now to win. Leadership, coaching, and team chemistry is going to be huge with these guys. You’re essentially putting together a team of strangers and pray they can mesh and compliment each other. That being said, I think Pope has the skill set to do it.
I agree. Nice take. I don't think there's any doubt this team has enough talent to win. It's more talented than Pope's BYU team last season and that group made the NCAA-T as a 6-seed.

But I totally agree, the real challenge now is taking a group of strangers and getting them to develop some chemistry and cohesiveness. That will determine next year's ultimate results. I do think Pope is up to the job, and this staff looks great to me.

I'll say this: I'm optimistic. I'm not expecting greatness per se, but I'm excited to see how this season goes. I'll also add- BBN is dying to get behind a team they can wholeheartedly support, and Pope is a guy they know and will love supporting. If things start going well, the BBN will do its part.

I agree. Nice take. I don't think there's any doubt this team has enough talent to win. It's more talented than Pope's BYU team last season and that group made the NCAA-T as a 6-seed.

But I totally agree, the real challenge now is taking a group of strangers and getting them to develop some chemistry and cohesiveness. That will determine next year's ultimate results. I do think Pope is up to the job, and this staff looks great to me.

I'll say this: I'm optimistic. I'm not expecting greatness per se, but I'm excited to see how this season goes. I'll also add- BBN is dying to get behind a team they can wholeheartedly support, and Pope is a guy they know and will love supporting. If things start going well, the BBN will do its part.
Agree too. That's the big part behind this years team being assembled at this point. Number one is bringing tenured guys from all over that had different roles in different systems and #2 being finding the guys that can step in and rise up early on into that swagger/dog mentality and lead the team and embrace the true meaning behind the uk jersey.

Reactions: IL Wildcat

I agree with alot of your post but how do you know we aren't TRYING to get the best talent available and they just don't want to come here. In all honesty UK is not the most attractive option for the top talent right now. I honestly believe Pope is getting about the best guys he can get right now. Some of our fans actually believe that Pope ought to be able to recruit a top 10 team right out of the gate,entirely of portal guys,personally I think they are VERY unrealistic. I would be thrilled if we just make the tournament next year.

Reactions: NociHTTP
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT