ADVERTISEMENT

We'll See

Apr 12, 2024
We are either going to be really good or really bad.

@Basscat1987 said it rather well in his post about not having a dog but my only concern is not having what some would consider as swagger and tenacity.

Statistically on paper we're bringing in people that are good players or even role players but the paper doesn't reflect that "it" factor to compete in intense games and the hard nose edge it takes to win those.

It's also interesting because at this point we're evaluating a cultural change and mindset. It's not high schoolers tearing the rim off a backboard and projected lottery picks etc. It's more of a fundamentally sound approach with players that wouldn't have had an opportunity at UK with the exception of 2 and maybe 3.

We'll see but Pope is holding strong to the kids that want to be here mindset and in my head I'm trying to balance are we almost taking anyone that embodies the culture rather than getting the best talent and balancing the two. He'll have his coaching work cut out for him in conference play but I'm pleased to see how quickly we've gained commits just starting to question for some reason some of the ones we have.

@Basscat1987 said it rather well in his post about not having a dog but my only concern is not having what some would consider as swagger and tenacity.

Statistically on paper we're bringing in people that are good players or even role players but the paper doesn't reflect that "it" factor to compete in intense games and the hard nose edge it takes to win those.

It's also interesting because at this point we're evaluating a cultural change and mindset. It's not high schoolers tearing the rim off a backboard and projected lottery picks etc. It's more of a fundamentally sound approach with players that wouldn't have had an opportunity at UK with the exception of 2 and maybe 3.

We'll see but Pope is holding strong to the kids that want to be here mindset and in my head I'm trying to balance are we almost taking anyone that embodies the culture rather than getting the best talent and balancing the two. He'll have his coaching work cut out for him in conference play but I'm pleased to see how quickly we've gained commits just starting to question for some reason some of the ones we have.
Go Away Do Not Want GIF

I’m guessing there is at least one starter not even on the roster yet, and possibly two starters.

I have zero inside info. I’m just guessing we get a key contributor who drops out of the draft. Robinson is the natural possibility, but wouldn’t be surprised if it’s another player.

I’m guessing there is at least one starter not even on the roster yet, and possibly two starters.

I have zero inside info. I’m just guessing we get a key contributor who drops out of the draft.

There’s def enough talent on board now to win. Leadership, coaching, and team chemistry is going to be huge with these guys. You’re essentially putting together a team of strangers and pray they can mesh and compliment each other. That being said, I think Pope has the skill set to do it.
That's one part that will be interesting this year. Bringing in a team of guys who have been taught differently and in different environments with different programs on how to live up to UK expectations and play the style of basketball to win in the SEC. I agree with that completely.

Reactions: catfan220
There’s def enough talent on board now to win. Leadership, coaching, and team chemistry is going to be huge with these guys. You’re essentially putting together a team of strangers and pray they can mesh and compliment each other. That being said, I think Pope has the skill set to do it.
Pope almost slobbers with pride and love talking about coaching here. Can't imagine that not rubbing off.

I don’t think we’ll be really good or really bad. Think this is a decent but not good team, hovering in/out of top 25 most of the year.

I agree, and not just because of the tag. We have 9 good basketball players right now. But do we have any bucket getters? I don’t really see one yet. Will we be good defensively? I think defense might be what we rely on a lot next year with the roster as it sits now. Time will tell. I’m not really concerned bc I’m not considering next year a must win. Obviously it can’t be like the 9-16 team but I don’t think there’s anyway we get to that. Right now I think we have a chance to be top 20ish good, add a star and maybe we can be one of those teams. Just my opinion.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Well atleast we all aren't working together. Great conversation this evening around my initial thoughts and I probably won't make it to 100 posts to someones point on here because it's evident earning likes or whatnot are more rewarding than general conversation.

We'll see but Pope is holding strong to the kids that want to be here mindset and in my head I'm trying to balance are we almost taking anyone that embodies the culture rather than getting the best talent and balancing the two. He'll have his coaching work cut out for him in conference play but I'm pleased to see how quickly we've gained commits just starting to question for some reason some of the ones we ha
No, it’s much more likely it will be somewhere in between. That said, I’m reasonably optimistic it could be good.

Reactions: NociHTTP

Honestly, I don't care if we are "bad". We were gutted, it's this OAD mindset that needs to go, and regardless of how the year turns out, that is one thing that will be much improved upon. Why question Pope and staff? It's their FIRST YEAR. They didn't inherit ANYTHING.

This "swagger" I could do without. Prove it on the court.

I love our chances against a bunch of Duke, Arkansas, etc. Freshman.

We haven’t seen these guys play together so we don’t know how good they'll be.

I am hopeful they lay the foundation for a great future for Pope. Give me smart, hard nosed, physical winners over flexers and swagger any day. I also don’t expect a national title in year 1. He gets a free pass from me barring a Kenny Payne type season.

I am more interested in seeing the culture change and how Pope and staff do in 2025 recruiting.

The new system is going to take getting used to. I think we’re going to see more ball movement, catch and shoot, and constant motion than the high ball screen/dribble penetration/missed layup we’d grown accustomed to in recent years.

I don’t know how it will play out, but am excited for basketball season for the first time since COVID. My interest waned some after 9-16, St. Peter’s and the definition of mediocrity known as the 2023 team. I also bought into last year’s team hard in December and we saw how that went. I’m feeling re-energized for this season.

Honestly, I don't care if we are "bad". We were gutted, it's this OAD mindset that needs to go, and regardless of how the year turns out, that is one thing that will be much improved upon. Why question Pope and staff? It's their FIRST YEAR. They didn't inherit ANYTHING.

When I said swagger, it mean't on the court. I didn't question Pope and his staff. I questioned the commitments coming almost too quickly after today. We'll see and I'm sure you are 100% right on whatever your views are. Goes back to my title I suppose of "We'll see"

Whatever it is we are gonna have a ride. I've seriously never heard of any of these guys so my expectations aren't like they are when you got a roster of NBA guys.

I'm on board with it. Fingers crossed, hopes up.
Go Big Blue.

Not Cal U.

Reactions: FFWhite
We haven’t seen these guys play together so we don’t know how good they'll be.

I am hopeful they lay the foundation for a great future for Pope. Give me smart, hard nosed, physical winners over flexers and swagger any day. I also don’t expect a national title in year 1. He gets a free pass from me barring a Kenny Payne type season.

I am more interested in seeing the culture change and how Pope and staff do in 2025 recruiting.

The new system is going to take getting used to. I think we’re going to see more ball movement, catch and shoot, and constant motion than the high ball screen/dribble penetration/missed layup we’d grown accustomed to in recent years.

I don’t know how it will play out, but am excited for basketball season for the first time since COVID. My interest waned some after 9-16, St. Peter’s and the definition of mediocrity known as the 2023 team. I also bought into last year’s team hard in December and we saw how that went. I’m feeling re-energized for this season.
Agree 100%.

Reactions: MegaBlue05

Everybody is one and may be done now about down to the towel boys.

I think Pope will have more roster retention than we are accustomed to but there will be a lot of flux no matter what including some "regular" one and dones.

Reactions: NociHTTP

So which fan base did you crawl over from to try and troll this board?

Where do they all come from?

When I said swagger, it mean't on the court. I didn't question Pope and his staff. I questioned the commitments coming almost too quickly after today. We'll see and I'm sure you are 100% right on whatever your views are. Goes back to my title I suppose of "We'll see"
April 12th sign up date.

"We'll see" if you're actually a UK fan. Shouldn't take long if you keep creating threads like this.

You get the best spinner award.

We have a good group on paper, the key to any team is chemistry. Can they come together for the good of the team? If they buy into Pope's system and play that style we can be a good team. He has a few more pieces to get. I am all in, I think we can be a tournament team. One thing I do know, we already have a better defense than we had last year and haven't played a game. We are stronger in the middle so toss it up and lets go.

Reactions: bkimrey2
They have some defensive dogs on this team that will create turnovers and easy scores. I think 2 were defensive POY's in their conference last year. It was embarrassing to watch UKs defense the last couple of years.

Reactions: BlueRunner11
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT