ADVERTISEMENT

We are building an Oline

Attended the last Spring scrimmage/game. Seen many CATS offensive linemen over many, many years and this group physically look like SEC players! Looked them right in their shoulder pads!

Reactions: Comebakatz3
After watching teams like Ohio St and Arkansas maul people with their o-line, it is freaking awesome that we're getting talented o-lineman. Now we must develop the guys we get. Should be fun to watch over the next few years.

Been many a moon since UK had a good O-Line.
During the Brooks years, UK had some pretty good pass blocking lines but we haven't seen a good run blocking and pass blocking lines in a long time.

Been many a moon since UK had a good O-Line.
During the Brooks years, UK had some pretty good pass blocking lines but we haven't seen a good run blocking and pass blocking lines in a long time.

UK's scouring the JUCOs looking for LT help and they're in on a couple of good prospects. That's good because it'd give the younger HS guys more time to develop. UK's making progress but they were so far behind it makes playing catch up even tougher.

After watching teams like Ohio St and Arkansas maul people with their o-line, it is freaking awesome that we're getting talented o-lineman. Now we must develop the guys we get. Should be fun to watch over the next few years.
For real. Arkansas is Fu***** huuuge!! Like you said they maul people and should be really good next season. I'm pretty sure they return a lot including those two RBs, I could be wrong though.

It's good to see the type of O lineman were going after. Long athletic frames. They're not quite like Arkansas big behemoths, but we don't play that brand of football.

Agree on depth and the future, but wish we saw some of the younger guys beating out last year's starters. Then I would think we had a decent chance against SEC DLs. Not so sure right now.

Agree on depth and the future, but wish we saw some of the younger guys beating out last year's starters. Then I would think we had a decent chance against SEC DLs. Not so sure right now.

How about we just have the veterans become better and give the younger players time to mature properly. It sounds however like TFr GAA is going to make the two deep and maybe start.

O line should be the most improved unit on the team almost without question.

Really excited about GAA. Dude will be a stud IMO.

For real. Arkansas is Fu***** huuuge!! Like you said they maul people and should be really good next season. I'm pretty sure they return a lot including those two RBs, I could be wrong though.

It's good to see the type of O lineman were going after. Long athletic frames. They're not quite like Arkansas big behemoths, but we don't play that brand of football.

Arkansas is huge, but have you looked at the Cats updated roster with possible OL depth chart?

Arkansas
OT 6'5 343, 6'5 315
OG 6'5 322, 6'3 309
C 6'3 315, 6'1 312
OG 6'3 311, 6'4 322
OT 6'10 307, 6'6 316

Kentucky (2015)
OT 6'7 309, 6'8 317
OG 6'4 312, 6'5 328
C 6'5 295, 6'3 305
OG 6'4 323, 6'3 344
OT 6'6 344, 6'5 385, 6'5 315

As far as pure size goes, there isn't a ton of difference. However, look at last season

Kentucky (2014)
OT 6'5 292, 6'7 339
OG 6'4 318, 6'3 319 (RS Fr)
C 6'5 301 (Toth - but IIRC he got sick and actually played about 15-20 lbs lighter), 6'3 287
OG 6'4 300 RS Fr, 6'6 348 RS Fr
OT 6'7 306, 6'5 294 RS Fr

Not only was last year's OLine lighter, but all the backups were green.

Arkansas is huge, but have you looked at the Cats updated roster with possible OL depth chart?

Arkansas
OT 6'5 343, 6'5 315
OG 6'5 322, 6'3 309
C 6'3 315, 6'1 312
OG 6'3 311, 6'4 322
OT 6'10 307, 6'6 316

Kentucky (2015)
OT 6'7 309, 6'8 317
OG 6'4 312, 6'5 328
C 6'5 295, 6'3 305
OG 6'4 323, 6'3 344
OT 6'6 344, 6'5 385, 6'5 315

As far as pure size goes, there isn't a ton of difference. However, look at last season

Kentucky (2014)
OT 6'5 292, 6'7 339
OG 6'4 318, 6'3 319 (RS Fr)
C 6'5 301 (Toth - but IIRC he got sick and actually played about 15-20 lbs lighter), 6'3 287
OG 6'4 300 RS Fr, 6'6 348 RS Fr
OT 6'7 306, 6'5 294 RS Fr

Not only was last year's OLine lighter, but all the backups were green.

We played Arky last year and the guy 6'10" is quite a bit bigger than 307, he isn't great but its a long way to go when he just extends his arms. Size is important but it isn't everything, its all about technique. 3 years ago UGA's OL was the biggest OL in the country at any level, we had 3 guys over 340, only problem was they couldn't block anyone and we went 6-7. Last year we averaged 294 only 2 guys over 300, the RG was 320 and LT was 305 the others were under 290 and was the best OL we have had in years, since Richt's first couple of seasons. Getting big isn't bad at all, but its much better to be athletic and good technicians, of course you can't weigh 230, but being big isn't all it takes.

Last edited:
Arkansas was great at blocking bad defenses but look at their rushing totals vs Alabama, Georgia, LSU and Ole Miss - very feeble.

You raise an important point there. Stoops really focused on recruiting offensive linemen in his 2014 and 2015 classes. Some of our freshmen and sophomores are probably better football players than the upperclassmen, but haven't been in the system long enough. We have some young guys who should beat out older incumbents soon. When that starts happening, the program should take a big leap forward.

We played Arky last year and the guy 6'10" is quite a bit bigger than 307, he isn't great but its a long way to go when he just extends his arms. Size is important but it isn't everything, its all about technique. 3 years ago UGA's OL was the biggest OL in the country at any level, we had 3 guys over 340, only problem was they couldn't block anyone and we went 6-7. Last year we averaged 294 only 2 guys over 300, the RG was 320 and LT was 305 the others were under 290 and was the best OL we have had in years, since Richt's first couple of seasons. Getting big isn't bad at all, but its much better to be athletic and good technicians, of course you can't weigh 230, but being big isn't all it takes.
I would rather have good, big football players than good, little players.

I would rather have good, big football players than good, little players.

To a certain point, everyone would love to have athletic 6'7" 325lb tackles, unfortunately those guys are few and far between. If that same guy gets to 350, he loses quickness, and most likely flexibility which retards his technique. It goes the same way for DL too, when we had those 2 370+ guys on the field, it was like playing with 10 players, they couldn't move at all after a couple of snaps and as they were getting driven off the ball ran into our LB. One of those is out of football now and the other dropped 40lb and is playing in the NFL, he just got too big.

JUCO OT Tate Leavitt from Hutchinson, KS CC will likely visit UK next week per 247. He's 6'6" 300 originally from Ohio. I really like the idea of a more experienced/developed LT that gives Krok, LaRubbio, etc more time to develop. 4 star too.

Reactions: Chump Change X
JUCO OT Tate Leavitt from Hutchinson, KS CC will likely visit UK next week per 247. He's 6'6" 300 originally from Ohio. I really like the idea of a more experienced/developed LT that gives Krok, LaRubbio, etc more time to develop. 4 star too.
No doubt about it, we definitely need help at left tackle. I don't know enough about Leavitt to know if he would be a difference maker, and I am kinda skeptical about recruiting juco offensive linemen after what we have seen in the past. But left tackle is a big hole in our offense, and Krok is the only player currently in the system potentially with a high upside there.

No doubt about it, we definitely need help at left tackle. I don't know enough about Leavitt to know if he would be a difference maker, and I am kinda skeptical about recruiting juco offensive linemen after what we have seen in the past. But left tackle is a big hole in our offense, and Krok is the only player currently in the system potentially with a high upside there.

Krok got off to a fast start in camp last fall then suffered an injury, I think the dreaded high ankle sprain, that resulted in a RS year and significant lost practice time. He then had another injury this spring that resulted in lost time. Unless and until they can get him healthy and on the field they may not know what they have in him. The fact they're looking at JUCOs, Leavitt isn't the only JUCO OT offer, tells me they may have a concern.

Leavitt has about 20 offers which are a lot for a JUCO this time of year. Many of his offers are from top of the line programs too. I hope his being from Ohio will factor in for UK.

The thing is though, that we have moved Swindle to LT, the Krok, LaRubbio, etc, those young guys have already RS'd, so it's time for those guys to step up and contribute, this season. That's why they did RS all those young OL last season, to give them time to develop, and a year in the S&C and Eric Korem's training program as well. Those guys have to be ready this season.

The thing is though, that we have moved Swindle to LT, the Krok, LaRubbio, etc, those young guys have already RS'd, so it's time for those guys to step up and contribute, this season. That's why they did RS all those young OL last season, to give them time to develop, and a year in the S&C and Eric Korem's training program as well. Those guys have to be ready this season.

True but by the staff offering JUCOs tells me they may not be comfortable with the development of the young guys. Still, you're right, if UK hopes to take a step forward those young guys you mentioned are going to have to step up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT