ADVERTISEMENT

Not a premium member - which LBs decommitted?

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
Seems like this is a consistent thread lately. Is this fallout from WR coach being fired? I hope whoever the replacement is is a helluva recruiter as we seem to be relying more and more on the portal and our HS recruiting has hit a ceiling. The sky isn't falling but I would like to rely equally on HS recruits and portal transfers rather than building a roster every year from 1- and 2-year plug-ins. Yes, you have more of an idea of whether a transfer will fit it, can play at SEC level, etc. But, one would guess that a HS kid should have a lot more upside development-wise than does a 3rd yr Jr.

I thought Groves decommitted several days ago. Home page story made it seem like others just recently de-committed. Is that not true?

I saw a tweet that 3 players have de-committed, I know Groves and Cowan who was the 3rd?

I assume that might be the real difference between UK tier programs and the top top tier going forward. UK can afford to pay their proven commodities and recruit additional proven players from the portal, teams like A&M, USC, and others have enough fun money to throw around on recruits to lock in who they want from high school ranks.

Doesn't mean UK can't compete as a program, just a lot of pressure to make good decisions in the portal. As we know from the A&M saga, paying unproven 17 year olds isn't a guarantee for success.

Reactions: catfan093
I thought Groves decommitted several days ago. Home page story made it seem like others just recently de-committed. Is that not true?

Groves, Cowan and I believe an OL we mutually parted ways with.

215 is correct...

Lorenzo Cowan is the most recent LB/Edge decommit

I was wondering what the staff was going to do with so many LB commits in this class...even with decommits from both Cowan & Groves, there are still several guys

ILB: Steven Soles, Antwan Smith, Devin Smith
OLB/Jack: Jacob Smith, Brian Robinson & Jero(maybe grow into a DEs?), Caleb Redd

Even if the Smith twin and/or Robinson grow into a DE, that's still a solid LB class.

With Keaton Wade, Luke Fulton & Martez Thrower in the portal, there likely just need to be an addition from the portal with 2-3 years of eligibility to balance out classes a bit...but that's really only OLB b/c there is still potential at ILB

2024 Returnees
OLB: SO Fearbry, SO Matthews, RS FR Godfrey
ILB: SR Wallace, SR Jackson, SR Rayner, RS FR Jayvant Brown

Last edited:
Reactions: satcheluk
Seems like this is a consistent thread lately. Is this fallout from WR coach being fired? I hope whoever the replacement is is a helluva recruiter as we seem to be relying more and more on the portal and our HS recruiting has hit a ceiling. The sky isn't falling but I would like to rely equally on HS recruits and portal transfers rather than building a roster every year from 1- and 2-year plug-ins. Yes, you have more of an idea of whether a transfer will fit it, can play at SEC level, etc. But, one would guess that a HS kid should have a lot more upside development-wise than does a 3rd yr Jr.
It appears we can pay market rate for our top guys, but we can't/won't pay as much as some schools for developmental guys who likely won't see the field for a few years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT