ADVERTISEMENT

Watching other games makes you appreciate this team more

Yeah I’ve noticed that also. I’m having trouble seeing anyone that plays as pretty as we do. We are good
Arkansas looking pretty formidable right now against Duke but their record indicates otherwise.

We've had some weak links on teams before, but I'm watching college basketball this evening and realizing how critical it is to have 5 guys on the floor who can do handle, shoot, pass, defend, and make good decisions, and do them all well. Our team this season is exceptional. Go Cats! 😀
When you've got goobers like Jeff Goodman and Tyler Hansbrough saying this UK team is fun to watch, you know this team really, really, really is fun to watch. 😉

We've had some weak links on teams before, but I'm watching college basketball this evening and realizing how critical it is to have 5 guys on the floor who can do handle, shoot, pass, defend, and make good decisions, and do them all well. Our team this season is exceptional. Go Cats! 😀

This is a well "healed" post but....................

They still call him ILL.... 😁

• Haha
Reactions: IL Wildcat
When watch Arkansas and Duke last night I was thinking I wish Duke would play a zone like that against UK. Arkansas looked like they had never seen a zone defense before.

Reactions: pauled
We've had some weak links on teams before, but I'm watching college basketball this evening and realizing how critical it is to have 5 guys on the floor who can handle, shoot, pass, defend, and make good decisions, and do them all well. Our team this season is exceptional. Go Cats! 😀
For me, the key thing for this year is passing. We are making defenses shift multiple times on a possession leading to more open looks on the basket. Also when the ball goes into the lane, the goal doesn’t become a black hole. This skill has been woeful over the past 3 or 4 seasons.

I’m still extremely concerned about defense So many mental mistakes and failure to see the floor. We give up too many open looks. Yes, I am demanding on defense but no skill is more important.

For me, the key thing for this year is passing. We are making defenses shift multiple times on a possession leading to more open looks on the basket. Also when the ball goes into the lane, the goal doesn’t become a black hole. This skill has been woeful over the past 3 or 4 seasons.

I’m still extremely concerned about defense So many mental mistakes and failure to see the floor. We give up too many open looks. Yes, I am demanding on defense but no skill is more important.
Yes, the defense needs work. You can't always rely on outscoring people. I'm hoping that the shot blocking and rebounding of Bradshaw will help cover up some mistakes. I think the guys are capable of defending their man, but they sometimes take unnecessary risks and reach too much. And they get out of position at times, as well. I can see some great potential though- they're young and will learn and grow as they go.

When you've got goobers like Jeff Goodman and Tyler Hansbrough saying this UK team is fun to watch, you know this team really, really, really is fun to watch. 😉
I made a comment during one of the Canada games that was was watching some of the prettiest basketball during my fandomship. And I will be 80 next birthday.

Yes, the defense needs work. You can't always rely on outscoring people. I'm hoping that the shot blocking and rebounding of Bradshaw will help cover up some mistakes. I think the guys are capable of defending their man, but they sometimes take unnecessary risks and reach too much. And they get out of position at times, as well. I can see some great potential though- they're young and will learn and grow as they go.
Agree. Our on ball defense is fine. Our team defense and communication is what needs work, but I'm confident we'll come around. That stuff usually improves dramatically (and is usually behind the offense for young teams) as the season goes on and these guys get more used to playing with each other.

That's a great point.. I remember the last few seasons seeing other games and thinking how I wish we'd plya like them. I think of Villanova and Baylors title teams, Uconn, Alabama, to name a few.

But last night I watched some awful basketball and thought "Man, I'm glad we have this team".

Our defense isn't that bad for the way Cal is coaching them to play defense, which is to go over every single ball screen. Which I agree with sometimes but often times I don't. We got crushed because of this against Kansas State last year, and also against UCLA earlier last season.

It does in theory prevent off the dribble threes so it is certainly a strategy, but it leads to us playing 5 on 4 a ton of possessions so we are going to give up layups and kick out threes because of that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT