ADVERTISEMENT

Was at the game, this will be last post for a long time ...

Thanks for the post,even after the post by Cal to BBN on Facebook and twitter, I'm still trying to process this loss,and I can't,there is no excuse for it.I do well for myself but there are alot of people out there that aren't so well off because of the pandemic,job loss or have to decide to spend $100 to fill their truck up or get groceries for there family..Point is UK basketball is an escape for them and this loss was just crushing in alot of ways...Those are the people the 9 million dollar man needs to apologize to...Sorry for the rant...carry on

Reactions: UKgal82
OP has nailed it. Nothing really to add.
Honestly, I hope a lot of people stay home and let their seats sit empty in Rupp Arena this Fall. That wouldn't hurt the program financially but, maybe it will send a message that we as fans aren't going to support mediocre results. We went through this in football not so long ago. Fans had to basically boycott games to be heard.

How bad have things gotten?
I can name approx. 20 friends of mine who used to eat, sleep and breathe UK basketball and who have now all but abandoned the program. Many of us used to go to the SEC tourney and follow the Cats in March. Now, NONE of those people do that. Most don't even watch the games on TV!

Rupp Arena is no longer packed, even with reduced seating. Before Calipari came and became enamored with OAD's and the NBA draft a large % of games were sellouts. Now, student attendance is virtually zero and I can count on one hand the number of games this season where the Rupp crowd was engaged.

I'm thinking a few televised home games with only 5,000 people in the stands would really get Barnfart's attention.

-Can we stop playing in Indy? The crowd clearly doesn't help UK as much as everyone wants to believe. It was LOUD when it needed to be, but this team didn't respond. So, Indy has given us Wisconsin, the Duke/Zion ass-kicking, and now arguably the biggest upset in NCAA history. Lovely. And it was Wisky all over again with the stall ball nonsense once a lead was finally in place late.

-Murray State fans were cheering for St. Peters, obviously. They were celebrating UK's loss as if they beat UK. Their attitude about it is what bothered me. People like upsets, yes. But they were sort of nasty about it. Remember that when you cheer for Murray State against St. Peter's.

-I think I was one of Cal's biggest defenders, especially because I live in Indy and have to deal with so much hate daily, but it's over. Every other coach in the SEC would have won that game last night. Cal was just ridiculously bad. Won't re-hash all of the examples, because they've been said on this board since the game started. But ho-lee sheet that was one of the worst coaching performances in ages. And Shaheen Holloway was ready for it.

-Wheeler kept us in the game for a couple of minutes late, but overall, he was abysmal. Our point guard was dreadful last night. Turnovers, bad passes, missed free throws, what in the hell was he doing? When Cal went into his predictable stall ball mode up 6 w/ 3:30 to play, Wheeler had no idea what he was doing ... and nobody wanted to touch the ball. Cal must scare the sh*t out of his players with some kind of nasty threats when he tells them to go into stall mode.

-Ty Ty Washington was so bad it was a joke. Cal couldn't even play him .... and then, of course, he throws him back in cold off the bench to take the last shot in regulation. Savvy move.

-Oscar deserves so much more. Will miss him.

-UK was bad at the rim all night. You could just sense "something" was off from the tip. Felt it in the air. Lay-ups, free throws, everything.

-Worse, UK was TERRIBLE on the fast break. Ty Ty was the worst. Felt like I was watching a point-shaver.

-Watching Sharpe in warm-ups, dunking, just pissed me off. I didn't even care about the whole Sharpe debacle until I saw this.

-Cal didn't even have the boys come out to warm up until about 4:00 left before the 2H. St. Peter's was out there for a full 10 extra minutes warming up. I think this kind of stuff matters. Cal just kept them back, probably allowing them to get more nervous/tight as he yelled nonsense at the whiteboard.

-Season had some fun moments .... but UK looked like a 6-7 seed the last month of the season and we all know it. The hype was a shame, because they didn't deserve any of it. The final four picks, the title predictions, all complete nonsense based on fool's gold from an outlier performance against Kansas in January. No other way to look at it.

-Not sure how much I'll care about this stuff until Cal is gone. 2015 broke something in me as a fan, probably for the better (less emotional about losses), but last night just felt like this weird sense of completeness .... I realized I'm just totally done w/ the Cal era and ready for a fresh start.

Nailed every bit of this post.

-Can we stop playing in Indy? The crowd clearly doesn't help UK as much as everyone wants to believe. It was LOUD when it needed to be, but this team didn't respond. So, Indy has given us Wisconsin, the Duke/Zion ass-kicking, and now arguably the biggest upset in NCAA history. Lovely. And it was Wisky all over again with the stall ball nonsense once a lead was finally in place late.

-Murray State fans were cheering for St. Peters, obviously. They were celebrating UK's loss as if they beat UK. Their attitude about it is what bothered me. People like upsets, yes. But they were sort of nasty about it. Remember that when you cheer for Murray State against St. Peter's.

-I think I was one of Cal's biggest defenders, especially because I live in Indy and have to deal with so much hate daily, but it's over. Every other coach in the SEC would have won that game last night. Cal was just ridiculously bad. Won't re-hash all of the examples, because they've been said on this board since the game started. But ho-lee sheet that was one of the worst coaching performances in ages. And Shaheen Holloway was ready for it.

-Wheeler kept us in the game for a couple of minutes late, but overall, he was abysmal. Our point guard was dreadful last night. Turnovers, bad passes, missed free throws, what in the hell was he doing? When Cal went into his predictable stall ball mode up 6 w/ 3:30 to play, Wheeler had no idea what he was doing ... and nobody wanted to touch the ball. Cal must scare the sh*t out of his players with some kind of nasty threats when he tells them to go into stall mode.

-Ty Ty Washington was so bad it was a joke. Cal couldn't even play him .... and then, of course, he throws him back in cold off the bench to take the last shot in regulation. Savvy move.

-UK was bad at the rim all night. You could just sense "something" was off from the tip. Felt it in the air. Lay-ups, free throws, everything.

-Worse, UK was TERRIBLE on the fast break. Ty Ty was the worst. Felt like I was watching a point-shaver.

-Watching Sharpe in warm-ups, dunking, just pissed me off. I didn't even care about the whole Sharpe debacle until I saw this.

-Cal didn't even have the boys come out to warm up until about 4:00 left before the 2H. St. Peter's was out there for a full 10 extra minutes warming up. I think this kind of stuff matters. Cal just kept them back, probably allowing them to get more nervous/tight as he yelled nonsense at the whiteboard.

-Season had some fun moments .... but UK looked like a 6-7 seed the last month of the season and we all know it. The hype was a shame, because they didn't deserve any of it. The final four picks, the title predictions, all complete nonsense based on fool's gold from an outlier performance against Kansas in January. No other way to look at it.

-Not sure how much I'll care about this stuff until Cal is gone. 2015 broke something in me as a fan, probably for the better (less emotional about losses), but last night just felt like this weird sense of completeness .... I realized I'm just totally done w/ the Cal era and ready for a fresh start.

This firsthand observation from the OP is why we congregate here. It perfectly expesses nearly everyones feeling about the state of our program. Well done RR.

Reactions: Bill - Shy Cat
Murray State fans were cheering for St. Peters, obviously. They were celebrating UK's loss as if they beat UK. Their attitude about it is what bothered me. People like upsets, yes. But they were sort of nasty about it. Remember that when you cheer for Murray State against St. Peter's.
Great post!

If anything, watching the Murray/St, Peter game made me even more aware of just where we' are-which is right in the middle of the hood in downtown suckville., I've heard all season from friends out west how great Murray was, and I was stunned last night at their lack of basic fundamentals and performance. I grew up in an OVC town, and last nights game had the OVC written all over it. Terrible decisions; players our of control on fast breaks; players bringing the ball down on rebounds where it can get stolen or tied up;, swatting the ball around like a volleyball; two or thee guys falling for pump fakes like they were in middle school. Maybe I'm super ticked off, but the thought that we didn't beat St. Pete by 20 or 30 points, is impossible to wrap my mind around.

I've loved watching UK and college basketball for up on sixty years now, and like you,.,.I don't know,,I think more and more it's dead to me

Did you sense this same feeling from the other UK fans who support this team in every tournament, or were they all just resigned to accept our fate under Cal and keep supporting this crap that Cal has evolved into.

I agree 100% on all points. Something broke me in 2015. I’ve been a big fan, but not as over the top, since. Just care less. Love the wins, but don’t bother to watch if we suck. Part of this is my two young kids taking all my time too, but still…. Love the cats. But something has to change.

I thought I'd wake up this morning pissed off, and strangely I'm not. I just feel so...apathetic as a whole. I really don't care. And that makes me sad, because I'm as die-hard a fan as anyone. I have some kind of weird relief that I won't have to watch this team anymore this year. What the hell is that?
You have been given a Calonoscopy.

• Haha
Reactions: CatInNC

Great post and sorry man you had to witness our most embarrassing tournament loss! What’s crazy too me is this is becoming a pattern with that a$$hole of a coach. He follows the most embarrassing season in UK history with the most embarrassing UK tournament defeat in history! Man I’m still really so pissed off at that a$$hole of a coach. I’m taking this so hard still I just love the program so much and just so burnt out with Calipari.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT