ADVERTISEMENT

Vegas has Stoops …

We are at the same type of position with Stoops that we were with Brooks at one time. We were ready to take that next step, but the athletics department had to step up and do what they promised Brooks with regard to facilities. They failed Brooks for YEARS and he was never able to take us to that next level, because recruits saw (what it looked like to everyone) that the department was never going to invest in football as promised.

Brooks needed to be able to bring in the 4 and 5 stars, but he didn't have the support of the fans, the admin, or the boosters.

Stoops has gotten some support of the admin. We are now nearly caught up to where the rest of the SEC was 10 years ago. However, our football recruiting budget is still being eaten up to a good extent by other sports, and we are not yet even with the other schools in terms of fan and booster support. The GameDay atmosphere is a little better. The stadium and recruiting center are better, but we're not outdoing the big dogs in the marketing of our program and players. We're not keeping up with UT EVEN. In some ways, even UL is taking football more seriously than our admin takes it.

That's pretty sad.

If anyone with ANY SENSE looked at our two 10 win seasons and can't see how we might have had 1 or 2 more wins with just 3 or 4 more great players, there's no point in talking to them. (So I don't)

We aren't that far from where we need to be, but anyone with a freakin brain knows the hardest part of the hill to pedal is when you get to and past that inflection point. That last part of the hill is a FRICKN GRIND and it's not for faint hearted back stabbers who give up on EVERYONE and EVERYTHING TOUGH so easily. This program is a few stupid decisions, bad execution on a dozen plays, and a few players short of a 1 loss season right now, with an outside shot at beating Bama at home.

Shitheads always give up right before it gets better. They always look for guarantees and can't miss stuff, and so they miss out on the best things. Fk EM.
Listen, you've always a good poster in my opinion... but this makes absolutely no sense.

Either you have it or you don't...as a coach. This isn't pedaling a bike up a hill for gawd's sake....

To juxtapose Curry, who never had a winning season at Kentucky, with Kentucky’s winningest Coach is a stretch of either self-imposed ignorance or intentional misrepresentation!

Stoops has defeated 3 ranked teams in the Gator and Citrus Bowls the last five years.

“A tremendous amount of talent for his system to work?”

What??

When Kentucky defeated Penn State we had 18 former 4 and 5 Star recruits and Penn State had 45.

We are trending 6th among SEC schools for total victories since 2016, but our recruiting average has been tenth in the conference in that time period.

Stoops has defeated more Top 25 ranked schools in the last ten seasons than we had defeated in the 35 seasons prior to his arrival.

Stoops has defeated 12 ranked teams since 2013. Frank Beamer on his path to the College Hall of Fame defeated 11 ranked teams his first 11 seasons. Beamer was 2-4 in Bowls, Stoops 4-2. Beamer totaled 68 victories; Stoops 72.

The “collective fan opinion is not meaningless?”

That collective opinion is expressed with repeated sellout crowds including our first sellout in program history against an FCS oppnent, EKU in 2023.

Do you remember those annual “military appreciation games,” where thousands of tickets were given away for a game each year, for the last 20 years?

We still love our military, but don’t have 7,500 tickets to give away even when we face an FCS opponent.
Appreciate post like yours, straight to the point, accurate, truthful and well researched. Many don't care about the truth, unfortunately they just love negativity. I've followed closely since the mid 60's and I've enjoyed, other than Joke's time here, the accomplishments by Coach Brooks and Coach Stoops greatly. Hopefully we kept Stoops a good while, but if he moves I hope we give Coach Sumarall a call.

IMO…Stoops is at UK until Ferentz retires at Iowa. I originally thought his son would be in line to take over at Iowa but I believe the offense has been so bad that they will look elsewhere. I think Stoops will be their #1 choice.

Simple question, if Stoops is such a coaching svengali why hasnt a bigger program tried to hire him. NOBODY better than UK has in 12 years,reckon why that is. My position is he is a mediocre coach at a mediocre football school. Hes not a bad coach and I am not calling for him to be fired, just saying that as long as he is here thats all we will be. If the fans and admin are okay with that let him retire here. If you want something more well it seems many are more afraid of failing than suceeding. Funny how that seems to be how he coaches games isnt it.

Because of his much complained of pay.

He has been very well laid, and only a few programs could have outbid us, very few.

And he did sit down with FSU three or four years ago.
I have some friends in Tallahassee as I own a beach house down there. They told me there was never any real desire to hire Stoops down there and they only talked to him as a last ditch option should there top 3 canidates turn the job down

Many don't care about the truth, unfortunately they just love negativity.
I think you know my opinion of these “members” with brief accounts, or very thin participation. Some disguised redbirds, some basketball first folk, and maybe 30 percent are truly football fans.

When they really get under my skin, I offer to take their tickets and parking pass of their hands!

And then silence!

The silence of the spams!

Reactions: grevey35
I have some friends in Tallahassee as I own a beach house down there. They told me there was never any real desire to hire Stoops down there and they only talked to him as a last ditch option should there top 3 canidates turn the job down
Heresay is generally inadmissible.

Still, even such a modest report put Stoops well on their radar, and historically they are better than us.

Well said. I know it’s a weird thing to say, but we are in the middle of the golden age of Kentucky football. That actually made me uncomfortable to say. But it’s true. We aren’t making a change willfully and we should not. At least not anytime soon. We all know what we want to build here but it may still be a decade away, if ever. But there’s no magic pill that will turn the state of Kentucky into a football hotbed. This state produces only a handful D1 prospects a year and a lot of our high schools programs don’t even have turf fields or heat in the locker rooms.
I agree Stoops is doing great overall, I just wish he would have us better prepared. We should have won that Missouri and UT game. At least 1 of them.

I wonder if Iowa's OC (coach's son) not coming back next year might line up with the head coach leaving as well? He's 68 and probably was forced to get rid of his kid. Might just decide to hang it up. That's probably the only job we might lose Stoops to. No big school will hire Stoops with how he's done here and the money he is getting.

We pitched the ball all over the park, Saturday, with over 370 yards passing.
Fair. I bounced in and out viewing, trying not to lose my ish. That's production. I start to see why people are raking the defense. Seems we might then put it together soon, and the lack of defense complaint might be more on point in the "biggest current problem" debate.

I entered Saturday literally at the point where I'm having trouble enjoying watching the games.

I agree Stoops is doing great overall, I just wish he would have us better prepared. We should have won that Missouri and UT game. At least 1 of them.
totally agree. They waited too long to speed up the offense too. The Missouri loss was unacceptable

Reactions: bigbluedon
Simple question, if Stoops is such a coaching svengali why hasnt a bigger program tried to hire him.
How do you know they haven't? It isn't something they publicize.
At any rate I think the Frank Beamer comparison to Stoops is interesting. Like Stoops Beamer was not a flashy guy and he had a habit of winning ugly, and he also had his share of losses and short comings he had to deal with. Eventually he methodically built a really bad VaTech program into a national power, but it was 9 years before he hit the 10 win mark and that was in the old Big East, He eventually went on to win 4 ACC Championships.

The grass is always greener on the other side ask Arkansas, Auburn, South Carolina, Florida - they keep going through can't miss coaches like I go through long necks on the 4th of July :) Regardless of what people think, just about any new coaching hire is a long shot.

• Love
Reactions: The-Hack and gojvc
The grass is always greener on the other side ask Arkansas, Auburn, South Carolina, Florida
^^^ This!!!

First, I think Stoops has done a very good job. But, the results of a coaching carousel are so dicey. Every school listed above has a rich football history, and they still have cycled through multiple coaches.

Some posters say “the fear of not hiring a great coach is loser’s mentality.” It’s not loser’s mentality. It is looking at statistics and evaluating facts without blind optimism. Do we really think Fla and Auburn do not want to hire good coaches and win football games? They got caught in the cycle of “next guy will be better” and it is costing them.

I agree 110% that programs cannot and should not retain repeated failure. But, UK is no where even close to that point. Sure, the wheels may fall off with Stoops driving the bus. However, we are not close to that point now.

At the end of this season Iowa, Michigan and UK will all be in a bidding war for Stoops. His buy out is couch change for those schools.

It is insanely Ludacris that fans want to get rid of Stoops! UK is NOT going to find anyone that can take it to the next level.

Nick Saban and Kirby Smart aren't walking through those doors...you can guarantee that!
What does a rapper have to do with anything?

I said this in another thread but it bears repeating...Stoops has never been told "no". UK has invested in football in a way they never have before. Stadium renovation, practice facility upgrade, pay raise, pay raises for assistants, increase in recruiting budget. To compare the past records/coaches to what is happening is grossly unfair in my opinion. It's ok to want more. I personally think he has peaked and I also don't put a lot of stock in OOC wins; too much MAC and it gives a false sense of where the program is. If UK is willing to pay the football coach 9 million then good candidates will be interested.

Some posters say “the fear of not hiring a great coach is loser’s mentality.” It’s not loser’s mentality. It is looking at statistics and evaluating facts without blind optimism. Do we really think Fla and Auburn do not want to hire good coaches and win football games? They got caught in the cycle of “next guy will be better” and it is costing them.
Good stuff. Hiring coaches is rolling the dice. Lots of guys who seem like great hires on paper, and "win" the introductory press conference, are fired before their second season ends.

I wonder if Iowa's OC (coach's son) not coming back next year might line up with the head coach leaving as well? He's 68 and probably was forced to get rid of his kid. Might just decide to hang it up. That's probably the only job we might lose Stoops to. No big school will hire Stoops with how he's done here and the money he is getting.
Im okay if he goes… Make Coen the Head coach… bet he has some D-Coordinator connections…

Wouldnt be the first head coach to call his own plays…

Time to roll the dice...

Stoops is a good, but not great coach.... we have 11 years of work to sift thru.

Time for Barnhart to start the coaching search for 2025's season....

Don't be scared....if we don't take a chance then we'll be stuck in mediocrity.... with OKL and TX coming to town to drop us even further.

Go CATS!
He will only search if Stoops resigns.

IMO…Stoops is at UK until Ferentz retires at Iowa. I originally thought his son would be in line to take over at Iowa but I believe the offense has been so bad that they will look elsewhere. I think Stoops will be their #1 choice.
Fingers crossed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT