ADVERTISEMENT

USA soccer

So, the plot thickens on Reyna. Was his benching punishment for actions of the family?

This is why us soccer sucks and is at its ceiling if things don’t change fast. Nepotism and politics. Berhalter was the absolute worst pick for the job because of these things. The ranks of US academy soccer are so infested with this crap and this is a microcosm. Who knows the motivation of Reyna or berhalter in not playing Gio but we all knew those old school dynamics were at play when the Reyna story initially hit. US soccer can’t even identify a quality coach at least not since Bradley who coached his son. You see the trend here? Earnie Stewart the entire old guard of players should be dissambled from us soccer. Clean house. Bring in a mix of executives and legit coaches. Proven guys on the global stage. Then the team will know it means business. Then and only then will you get the goodies all of you pine for.

Reactions: Get Bucket$
So he admitted he kicked a girl that is his now wife? Is he gone?
The idea he'd be fired over this - there can be other reasons - is as woke as it gets. He kicked her in the leg & she obviously forgave him. WTF is it anyone else's business 31 years later?

Reactions: entropy13
The idea he'd be fired over this - there can be other reasons - is as woke as it gets. He kicked her in the leg & she obviously forgave him. WTF is it anyone else's business 31 years later?
Exactly. Not a fan of Berhalter at all but the Reynas' behavior is egregious. They were pissed that their golden boy wasn't getting playing time and took the absolute lowest road possible. Talk about a knife in the back.

While I do wish Gio had played more based on talent alone, he's apparently a petulant little shit, a locker room cancer, and a headache for the staff. Players took a vote whether to boot him, and he was only kept on the team by one vote.

Seems like Gio got at least some of his bad character traits from his parents.

Reactions: stuway
Exactly. Not a fan of Berhalter at all but the Reynas' behavior is egregious. They were pissed that their golden boy wasn't getting playing time and took the absolute lowest road possible. Talk about a knife in the back.

While I do wish Gio had played more based on talent alone, he's apparently a petulant little shit, a locker room cancer, and a headache for the staff. Players took a vote whether to boot him, and he was only kept on the team by one vote.

Seems like Gio got at least some of his bad character traits from his parents.
You’re right about the incident it’s ridiculous. But this shows too why berhalter shouldn’t be the coach. He’s too connected to too many people as a peer. He isn’t respected. We need a coach in there who can peel gio away from his parents. Someone with which these parents don’t feel like they can play these games. This isn’t just berhalter not playing gio and his family retaliating there is still more to it.

Also one last thing. Berhalter going public with the details of what happened with gio without mentioning his name was pretty low. All of the players here from the coach to the parents are toxic. Reminds me of coaching club soccer in the US. What a cluster f.

So he admitted he kicked a girl that is his now wife? Is he gone?

No. I'm not a GGG fan, but seems weird to punish him for something he did as an 18 year old in 1991. Especially something as minor as that. If we were talking about some rape or some horrible offense where there is still an aggreived victim then it might be different, but we're talking about his wife of 25 years. She clearly seems to be over it. I think nothing comes of it on the GGG side.

The issue is now with Reyna and how you deal with that for him and his family moving forward with USMNT.

No. I'm not a GGG fan, but seems weird to punish him for something he did as an 18 year old in 1991. Especially something as minor as that. If we were talking about some rape or some horrible offense where there is still an aggreived victim then it might be different, but we're talking about his wife of 25 years. She clearly seems to be over it. I think nothing comes of it on the GGG side.

The issue is now with Reyna and how you deal with that for him and his family moving forward with USMNT.
It’s not what is coming out in snippets here. These families go way way back. There is far more to the story but honestly it’s innocuos. The bottom line is berhalter has too many conflicts of interest to coach US soccer any further. He was a stop gap before we try to make a serious 2026 run. You have friends here who go way back feeling slighted by each other. It’s all it is. Utilization on reynas end and the reynas drudging up berhalters past on the other. There was an issue of Gios behavior and the reynas threw it back on berhalter recalling his behavior from 24 years ago

The disgust I have with the entirety of the situation is the Age Old truth of the statement "Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it". Berhalter, Reyna, Eric Wynalda, Earnie Stewart and Brian McBride--and by direct extension Rosalind Berhalter and Danielle Reyna--were all part of the spectacular debacle of the 1998 World Cup in France where team captain John Harkes was having an ongoing affair with Wynalda's wife. Until the Couva collapse the most embarrassing episode for the USMNT since we became a regular WC qualifier. And just like then this group dynamic happened during the World Cup. There were rumors of more issues between the team moms and some agents. I guess we can sum up contemporary American Culture with the line Everybody can be their own Reality TV star. In that context it seems almost a miracle we made it out of Group play.

I understand the cut bait crowd with Berhalter because truth be told he likely isn't the person to take us to that next level and I think we need what I would term an International competitions coach because they understand the dynamics of having to constantly reassemble players and personnel. I have to laugh at the crowd that says Pochettino, Tuechel or my favorite candidate of the dumbest candidate for USMNT coach Bielsa (you think Berhalter was a slave to a system; Bielsa's would be impossible to implement with two and three international breaks a year for the player pool and core we have) and a lesser extent Zidane...Tuechel in particular would last two weeks before pissing 350 million Americans off and probably end up splitting NATO because of something he said.

The disgust I have with the entirety of the situation is the Age Old truth of the statement "Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it". Berhalter, Reyna, Eric Wynalda, Earnie Stewart and Brian McBride--and by direct extension Rosalind Berhalter and Danielle Reyna--were all part of the spectacular debacle of the 1998 World Cup in France where team captain John Harkes was having an ongoing affair with Wynalda's wife. Until the Couva collapse the most embarrassing episode for the USMNT since we became a regular WC qualifier. And just like then this group dynamic happened during the World Cup. There were rumors of more issues between the team moms and some agents. I guess we can sum up contemporary American Culture with the line Everybody can be their own Reality TV star. In that context it seems almost a miracle we made it out of Group play.

I understand the cut bait crowd with Berhalter because truth be told he likely isn't the person to take us to that next level and I think we need what I would term an International competitions coach because they understand the dynamics of having to constantly reassemble players and personnel. I have to laugh at the crowd that says Pochettino, Tuechel or my favorite candidate of the dumbest candidate for USMNT coach Bielsa (you think Berhalter was a slave to a system; Bielsa's would be impossible to implement with two and three international breaks a year for the player pool and core we have) and a lesser extent Zidane...Tuechel in particular would last two weeks before pissing 350 million Americans off and probably end up splitting NATO because of something he said.
Berhalter wasn't part of the 1998 WC squad. Other than that, don't really disagree with your post. The Reynas come out of this looking worse than anyone, IMO.

Berhalter wasn't part of the 1998 WC squad. Other than that, don't really disagree with your post. The Reynas come out of this looking worse than anyone, IMO.
If don’t think they care as long as berhalter is gone and the USSF cleans house. Berhalter wasn’t playing gio when gio is the type of playmaker we needed with pulisic and weah. Berhalter Probably not playing him out of his own biases.

Pulisic out a couple of months now.
Norwich coach is Wagner who says Sargent is playing out of position.
Aronson seems like he's hit a wall.
Any other good news?

I'm a Chelsea fan but I've got to think Pulisic moves on at the end of the season. It's better for him.

His next step is down. No top tier team, Champions League, is investing money in him. They'll sell him at a fraction of what they bought him for.

I am late to the game but watched and recorded the semis and Finals and those were my impressions. A very proactive attack and scored in an abundance of ways. The one/two quick combos to a third runner at the top of the box were something I really haven't seen from an American Youth Team--and my best comparison was the 2019 U20 World Cup group that stunned France in the Round of 16. That group led by Chris Richards, Weah, Dest and Paxton Pomykal produced goals almost exclusively on the counterattack.

I was struck most by the wide variety of playing styles, especially from the Philly Union kids. A center back taking all of the set pieces in Brandon Craig, an 8 in Jack McGlynn who looks like Magic Johnson compared to everybody else as a lethal and creative passer--and with shots from distance. Paxton Aaronson as a 10 was attack, attack, attack with an attacking skill set better than his older brother without maybe his brother's sheer energy and range. Throughout the tourney this edition was miserable to play against with their counter pressing.
Maybe I've missed on the topic elsewhere, but this age group remains very entertaining and is playing a type and brand of soccer we have rarely seen from an American Youth squad. And typical of some American teams sort of maddening still at how attacks seem to die in the box. Cade Cowell might go down as an American Soccer version of the Volume Shooter; he will mystify you with how he blows past a RB, get to the box after splitting defenders and airmail the ball into the stands or cut it back to nothing but empty space. But there's no denying it has been a unique group playing largely without a Classic 9. Diego Luna has been both creative and dynamic while lacking the goal finish. Brandon Craig has probalby made money with his distribution out of the back.

This is the first American group in the last 17 tries to come out of Group play with all 9 points. And in four games they haven't allowed a goal; I'd say Ecuador was well clear of the rest of the three games in quality. This stands as a very realistic Semifinal U20 squad (the US will have two extra days rest over whoever they play Sunday) with only Brazil then remaining between the US and a Final against what likely would be Argentina or England.

Maybe I've missed on the topic elsewhere, but this age group remains very entertaining and is playing a type and brand of soccer we have rarely seen from an American Youth squad. And typical of some American teams sort of maddening still at how attacks seem to die in the box. Cade Cowell might go down as an American Soccer version of the Volume Shooter; he will mystify you with how he blows past a RB, get to the box after splitting defenders and airmail the ball into the stands or cut it back to nothing but empty space. But there's no denying it has been a unique group playing largely without a Classic 9. Diego Luna has been both creative and dynamic while lacking the goal finish. Brandon Craig has probalby made money with his distribution out of the back.

This is the first American group in the last 17 tries to come out of Group play with all 9 points. And in four games they haven't allowed a goal; I'd say Ecuador was well clear of the rest of the three games in quality. This stands as a very realistic Semifinal U20 squad (the US will have two extra days rest over whoever they play Sunday) with only Brazil then remaining between the US and a Final against what likely would be Argentina or England.
Man it’s hard to get excited about this team when we had to beat NZ and Israel of all countries is in the quarters. That group we were in was weak. The only thing that matters now is who USMNT will hire as permanent HC. Qualifiers start when? A year from now? It’s good for those guys to experience winning at u20 but unless we beat some legit national team starting with Uruguay color me skeptical. Some teams have strong u20 programs but their national team is más o menos.

England bounced by Italy....Nigeria beats Argentina in Argentina 2-0. Nigeria seems to always do well in youth tournies and when you watch them they always look much more physically mature but even then I'm surprised they got by Argentina. Argentina looked really strong in the matches I watched them.

...and for the record, I don't find it hard to get excited at all about this group. Brandon Craig and Jack McGlynn's passing range is otherworldy. Just once I want to see one of them get a clean look from distance, but on corners and set pieces both of their deliveries are way on point more than anyone I've seen at any level of the USMNT in the better part of the past decade. Just seeing Winder out there is enough to pique my attention but this a fun--if not sometimes frustrating group with squandered goal scoring opportunities--group to watch. They have some juice you don't generally see from a US squad at any level.

Last edited:
Man it’s hard to get excited about this team when we had to beat NZ and Israel of all countries is in the quarters. That group we were in was weak. The only thing that matters now is who USMNT will hire as permanent HC. Qualifiers start when? A year from now? It’s good for those guys to experience winning at u20 but unless we beat some legit national team starting with Uruguay color me skeptical. Some teams have strong u20 programs but their national team is más o menos.
4 wins, 0 losses, 10 goals for and 0 against. The first part of your post is just silly. You play who's in front of you.

Your point about some countries having good youth teams but mediocre senior national teams is valid. I think Gambia has historically been an example of that.

So I watch one game and they lose 2-0. Saw some good things and that game was winnable but hey, Uruguay is a power.

Then watch the U-20 women lose to Mexico in the concacaf final. Didn’t that coach do something stupid in the World Cup and now loses to Mexico? Don’t even know her name but is it time to go in another direction?

So will Messi use his one time chance to switch countries & play for the US?

4 wins, 0 losses, 10 goals for and 0 against. The first part of your post is just silly. You play who's in front of you.

Your point about some countries having good youth teams but mediocre senior national teams is valid. I think Gambia has historically been an example of that.
I remember my first year coaching at the 5A level in CO. We smoked a bunch of 3A and 4A team to start the season and I was stoked. We didn’t win a game in our conference this year. Of course you play who’s in front of you but when your schedule is weak then you play the big dogs reality sets in. This isn’t American football where teams have set schedules especially at the international level. It’s good PR to have success for U20s but how many will actually play in the big tournament.

Playing who is in front of you doesn’t address the need to evaluate, these guys finally played a power and lost. There are some decent things; it’s getting better but I’m not watching the u20 WC for enjoyment. I’m trying to see the future impact on us soccer especially for the WC coming in 3 years. We have a shot to make a nice run. I don’t want to see it squandered bc some egos swelled due to an artificial u20 run. That’s what American soccer coaches and players tend to do.

Playing who is in front of you doesn’t address the need to evaluate, these guys finally played a power and lost. There are some decent things; it’s getting better but I’m not watching the u20 WC for enjoyment. I’m trying to see the future impact on us soccer especially for the WC coming in 3 years. We have a shot to make a nice run. I don’t want to see it squandered bc some egos swelled due to an artificial u20 run. That’s what American soccer coaches and players tend to do.
I don't disagree fundamentally, it just struck me that you were being overly dismissive of the results thus far at that point. They'd taken care of business. Against Uruguay, it seems they had the run of play, but made a couple of costly, fundamental errors and weren't lethal with their chances on goal.

I don't disagree fundamentally, it just struck me that you were being overly dismissive of the results thus far at that point. They'd taken care of business. Against Uruguay, it seems they had the run of play, but made a couple of costly, fundamental errors and weren't lethal with their chances on goal.
If it were our MNT I would have a different attitude. Yeah I wouldn’t care who we played but this is development for the MNT so I never get too excited. I like where things are headed with recent additions to the top team. Im more interested in GC and nations league matches tbh. If we can find the right coach we have the pieces to have a special team.

Impressed with balogun. Sky is the limit. And Reyna. Berhalter and his personal issues really screwed us of a great player in WC play. We wasted so many sets and corners in the WC. Reyna plays a pure ball with nice touch easy to place. Berhalter screwed us but continues on as coach. Hopefully it’s with stipulations to clean his appearance up and look more professional. Not to mention give up the 4-3-3.

Impressed with balogun. Sky is the limit. And Reyna. Berhalter and his personal issues really screwed us of a great player in WC play. We wasted so many sets and corners in the WC. Reyna plays a pure ball with nice touch easy to place. Berhalter screwed us but continues on as coach. Hopefully it’s with stipulations to clean his appearance up and look more professional. Not to mention give up the 4-3-3.
Wait…we brought him back??

• Angry
Reactions: Kennedy_UK
Wait…we brought him back??

What's more interesting is that guys like Pulisic have been in his corner. In fact quite a number of players (not named Reyna) have been in his corner. Then I hear the talking heads in analysis and commentating saying that he might not be the guy who coaches us during the next WC.....and that he is just Mr. Right Now. Soooo, I don't know what's going on.

• Sad
What's more interesting is that guys like Pulisic have been in his corner. In fact quite a number of players (not named Reyna) have been in his corner. Then I hear the talking heads in analysis and commentating saying that he might not be the guy who coaches us during the next WC.....and that he is just Mr. Right Now. Soooo, I don't know what's going on.
I just read an article that said he’s off doing “big picture” stuff and will be back on the sidelines soon and will be the coach for the World Cup. Not sure the if that was from a direct source or not.

Umm, I couldn't care less about his appearance.

And we played a 4-3-3 both Nations League games...

Getting Balogun was huge......our biggest problem was obviously lack of a clinical striker. Not anymore. When completely healthy, we can complete with anyone now I believe. Didn't have Tyler Adam's these last several games, and his our best MFer. Didn't have him, Dest or MacKennie and dominated Canada.

I'm probably foolish but getting my hopes up for a nice run on home soil. Doubt we can win, but now have the talent to at least make a nice run to the quarters or semis

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT