ADVERTISEMENT

US Women's Soccer talk....

BlueRaider22

All-American
Sep 24, 2003
So, the USWNT made it through to play China, but it came at a cost with Rapinoe and Holliday out. Let's spark up some conversation.

-How do you think Jill Ellis has done thus far?
-With Rap/Holl out for next game, our brick-wall defense, and lack of offense.....what would you do if you were the coach? Would you go with a 4-3-3 or another formation? Who would you play?
-If we continue with the 4-4-2, do you think we can beat France/Germany?

I didn't watch the USA v. Colombia game, but I don't think losing Holliday is that detrimental. Her and Lloyd are virtual clones of each other, and always try to occupy the same space. IMO, the reason the attack has been so poor is that neither Lloyd or Holliday offer ANYTHING in terms of creativity. With the team selection, though, there's not much else in terms of quality MF replacements. Ellis really shit the bed on picking MFs.

Losing Rapinoe is a little more severe, but I think Tobin Heath can fill-in on the flank in her place.

I'm hoping that this forces Ellis to go with a change in formation. Im thinking a 4-3-3....or something close to it.

I wonder why Leroux has not played since 1st game?

Coach Jill Ellis seems fixated on the 4-4-2 alignment. Our roster is chock full of good defensmen and forwards, but yet we only have a handful of midfielders.....and although our defense has been rock solid, the offense has been very dull and lacking......yet she persists with the 4-4-2 formation.

Leroux hasn't played a ton mainly b/c coach only wants 2 up front.....and now that Morgan is getting more fit, she's been pushed out.

I would go 4-3-3......or 4-2-3-1.

Wambach doesn't need to be starting. I would want Morgan and Laroux in front.
You damn right.
th_Humping_Emoticon.gif

That team can't complete a pass in the final 1/3. It's why they have such a hard time scoring. It will cost them imo. Great athletes, not good ball handlers.

Tonight....Tuesday June 30th. 7:00 ET on Fox/FoxSports.

Germany is #1 in the world.......and is a 57% favorite to beat us.
-They got pretty banged up and may have a starter out for us with an injury.
-They are slower and less athletic, but their teamwork is second to none. They've been outstanding so far in the tournament.
-Their offense has been the best in the tourney thus far. Has scored 20 goals in the tourney thus far.

US is #2 in the world
-The defense is crazy good......by far the best in the tourney. Only allowed 1 goal the entire tournament and that was the 1st game. They haven't allowed a goal in the last 4 games.
-The offense has struggled, but seemed to do much better last game against China. Is this a sign that things are improving? We'll see.
-The US is more athletic, deeper, and is more fit......but teamwork/fluidity/creativity on offense has been lacking.
-43% chance of beating Germany and currently a 30% chance to win it all.

Whomever wins this game will be a heavy favorite in the championship game....(against winner of Japan/England.....Japan is slight favorite)

Last edited:
-Their offense has been the best in the tourney thus far. Has scored 20 goals in the tourney thus far.

Yes, but 14 of those goals were scored against Cote D'Ivoire and Thailand. Not really all that impressive. Their 4-1 win vs. the Swedes was impressive.

Other than that, the Germans only managed to put one past each of Norway and France. France generally dominated the match by pressing the Germans in their half of the field. I think Germany is going to struggle to keep possession as long as the US stay organized in the MF.

^So true......20 goals is still impressive though.

I agree with your assessment of the matchup though. Germany will want to attack....be aggressive on offense. If we sit back and play defensively like we have most of the tourney, I think we'll lose.

I'm reminded of a scene from "Miracle" where Coach Brooks was describing how to beat the Russians.

"You don't defend them. You attack them. You take their game and shove it back in their face."

Now, certainly these teams are quite evenly matched, but I think we must do the same. Rodriguez and O'hara were fantastic last game against China putting a ton of pressure forward and preventing China from breaking loose. I think we need an entire team effort and do the same against Germany. Germany is much better than China, so they'll break free often....but that's ok. This will force both teams to play fast and long.....opening a lot of space and fatigue later in the game. I think this favors the US.

I'd personally go 4-3-3, but we all know we will go 4-4-2. Back 5 remains the same. Diamond in the middle with Brian holding, Lloyd forward......Rapinoe left, Ohara right (maybe Heath, but she's got to press aggressively). Morgan and Rodriguez (or Leroux) forward.

We were on fire in the first half. Hopefully we can get our mojo back. You're dead on about that official. FIFA is the most corrupt organization on the planet. They make the NCAA look like the Salvation Army.

The US back line is phenomenal. Wasn't that supposed to be a weakness coming into the tournament? And I'd really think about about benching Morgan if I were Ellis. She's been lousy.

I personally would've loved to see Ellis keep her foot on the gas more around the 65'.......maybe sub in Ohara and/or Rodriguez and have them pressure like mad. Oh well......

I believe that we will win.I believe that we will win.I believe that we will win.I believe that we will win.I believe that we will win.I believe that we will win.I believe that we will win.I believe that we will win.I believe that we will win.I believe that we will win.I believe that we will win.I believe that we will win.I believe that we will win.I believe that we will win.I believe that we will win.I believe that we will win.I believe that we will win.I believe that we will win.I believe that we will win.I believe that we will win.

^cause she creates a ton of chances.....and when she's on she's one of the best there is. Leroux is mainly just speed. Press does need to play more. I haven't been overly impressed with Holiday's play......Press would be a good sub for her.

She's our most dangerous player. Several great opportunities and drew a pk. No way in hell I would bench her.

Wrong thread for this, but Alex is stunning, even mid-game.

So who do we want in the final? Nippon or the Old Country?

They match up better with England (they're a less skilled version of the US), but I am sure they want Japan for the revenge factor.

It's amazing how much better the offense looks when Ellis plays more dynamic players. Wombat isn't much more than a telephone pole out there. The further away from the field she is, the better.

My top 3 players on the team:

Rapinoe
Johnston
Klingenberg

It's no wonder why they live down the left sideline.

Reactions: warrior-cat
It's amazing how much better the offense looks when Ellis plays more dynamic players. Wombat isn't much more than a telephone pole out there. The further away from the field she is, the better.

My top 3 players on the team:

Rapinoe
Johnston
Klingenberg

It's no wonder why they live down the left sideline.

Is klingenburg the one with the black protective headband?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT