ADVERTISEMENT

US Women's Soccer talk....

Is klingenburg the one with the black protective headband?

Ali Krieger is the defensive back who wears the protective band
_0004_ali_krieger.jpg

Meghan Klingenberg is the other defensive back with short hair.
_0020_meghan_klingenberg.jpg

They match up better with England (they're a less skilled version of the US), but I am sure they want Japan for the revenge factor.

I agree. I think England would be the better draw. There have been times when Japan has looked really good.

Though, if we play like we did last night, it won't matter who we draw.

It's amazing how much better the offense looks when Ellis plays more dynamic players. Wombat isn't much more than a telephone pole out there. The further away from the field she is, the better.

My top 3 players on the team:

Rapinoe
Johnston
Klingenberg

It's no wonder why they live down the left sideline.
Rapinoe was really giving Germany fits on defense. She was all over them yesterday.

Rapinoe has been my favorite to watch since the last world cup. She was outstanding in that one and I thought she was underutilized. This one she has stepped it up even more and is getting the attention and respect she deserves. Still, she amazes me with her touch and finesse all the while putting in a ton of hustle and gutsy play.

Klingenberg started off a little shaky, but she had an amazing game last night. She worked well up the field and showed a lot of good ball skills (ha) to get past defenders. “Though she be but little, she is fierce!”

No idea what changes were made between last night and the previous matches, but whatever they did worked. Maybe somebody can explain them to us soccer laymen. That was far and away the best offensive performance of the tournament.

^The coach had been going with a 4-4-2 alignment......meaning 4 defensemen, 4 midfielders, 2 forwards. It's a nice formation for balance with a little emphasis on defense. Throughout the tourney the defense has been stout.......historically stout.......but the offense has been lacking.

Last night, Coach Ellis went to a 4-3-3.....basically just shifting more aggressiveness and emphasis to the offense. We attacked hard and put Germany on the defense. It was hard for Germany to get going on offense.

^Haven't we discussed this before? Both my undergrad degrees are from Middle.......I'm from Marshall Co.......went to UK for grad school. My Rivals account pre-dates my attendance at UK.

^darn, I thought we discussed it before. Sorry.

Nope, Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders.....hence the unoriginal name of mine......then, of course, like everyone else in the world I had to add in one of my jersey numbers.

Who do you work for in Tennessee? There was a time that I was a tech for STAR PT......then went back to school. I was going to go back to work for STAR. They wanted me to run the White House clinic, but my fiance at the time (now wife) didn't want to leave Kentucky.

If she was from South America, they'd kill her getting off the plane.

Much sympathy for her. Everybody who has played sports has made horrible mistakes.

Umm, we're generally just as pacey as the Japanese, but much bigger/stronger.

I think Japan have benefited from a run of fortunate play. They didn't look great against England today, barely escaped the Aussies and the Dutch.

Has Hope Solo missed out on millions at this World Cup or what? No endorsements and I barely see her even in team photos.

I think her legal problems will start up again as soon as the tourney is over. She could have been the face of this team, but her red ass has cost her dearly. IMO

Umm, we're generally just as pacey as the Japanese, but much bigger/stronger.

I think Japan have benefited from a run of fortunate play. They didn't look great against England today, barely escaped the Aussies and the Dutch.
Nope. We kick their asses in the open field, but they dominate the shorter sets. I hope I'm wrong.

Better give these girls extra orange slices and juice boxes at half time!

It's always tough to stay enthralled with women's sports since your above-average high school male equivalent would dominate their professional athlete female counterparts.

Reactions: trentmonster
ADVERTISEMENT