ADVERTISEMENT

Update From K. Tucker

It should be written into their contracts that they will be paid based on performance. You sit on the bench with nothing wrong with you, you get docked pay. You are being paid to represent a business/school. Sounds too simple. That goes for the coach also. Things would play out differently.

Sure Hoss.Now telling the truth hurts feelings here.
Facts over feelings, right.
It’s very scary that our innovator coach is now behind the times. I think NIL is why he will retire soon (if not forced out), because it removes his recruiting advantage and is now all about who the highest bidder is. It’s time to put pride aside and do whatever we gotta do to get players.
Pride? Morals. College athletics wasn't ever intended to be in its current state. People are not going to deviate from what college athletics was founded on. The best thing that could happen is for the government to step in and tax the shit out of these players who take NIL money. And NCAA needs to be revamped or absolved and replaced.

It should be written into their contracts that they will be paid based on performance. You sit on the bench with nothing wrong with you, you get docked pay. You are being paid to represent a business/school. Sounds too simple. That goes for the coach also. Things would play out differently.
Cal would also stop with his stupid act, or walk away altogether, should players say enough is enough with Cal.

Last edited:
Reactions: treyforuk
It’s very scary that our innovator coach is now behind the times. I think NIL is why he will retire soon (if not forced out), because it removes his recruiting advantage and is now all about who the highest bidder is. It’s time to put pride aside and do whatever we gotta do to get players.
Still think the role on the new team trumps NIL when portal players are looking for a new school.
They want the same or an expanded role to what they had with their old team.
These kids are not UK fans, most of what they know about Kentucky comes from the NBA success of UK alums.
Most all portal guys have been somewhat rejected by the NBA already so I'm sure portal guys question what the UK program can do for them if they're not the next AD, KAT, or Murray.

I though cal would be one of the biggest innovators or NIL and find creative ways to make it work and get players, but I was way wrong. I don’t think they get Kaluma now, so I’m trying to figure out whose left to get
Heard Cow has been watching a guy name Ed from Hootersvillle

They don't sign contracts.
CBB has way less control than the NBA.
Where in my quote did I say anything about contracts? Pretty sure NIL is contracts. If NCAA had any skin, this transfer portal nonsense would have been done away with.

Come on fellas, we all know what’s up, this isn’t our first go at this! Cal has PROMISED his starting 5 their spots, and everyone else, including Reeves will be backups, and he has no choice but to be honest.

Problem is, Reeves and 99% of transfers expect to start, even at UK, and that’s not going to happen with this group. Ugo only returned when he was promised Oscar’s old locker, and Bradshaw used Klutch/ USC to guarantee his 4 spot.

Cal is holding himself hostage with this group’s recruiting promises.
There seems to be a very small contingent of people who understand why what is happening is happening.

You sir, are one of them 👍

even more reason for Reeves not to return. He could have contributed early in the year if given the chance but Cal had to play Lance Ware and only relented mid season with the Benny Line up

I would not be surprised if any and all potential donors were refusing to do NIL for UK BB players. I sure as hell wouldn't, especially after what Sharpe and Wheeler did and how Cal covered for them.
Donors are probably about done with Cal and he’s worn out one and done BS. The player first BS is probably wearing thin on them too because donors are there to donate to the University and what’s best for the University.

The coach should also have a performance contract.

Donors are probably about done with Cal and he’s worn out one and done BS. The player first BS is probably wearing thin on them too because donors are there to donate to the University and what’s best for the University.
I thought it would eventually happen once Sharpe didn't play, but I thought it would take longer.

Cal is a complete shit show right now and to use his own words "I can't hide you", that sums it all up for him. He put himself on top of the mountain, he thought he was better than everyone else and is trying to act like a mob boss, well, when you do that, you better be good and he is certainly not.

He tries very hard to act like everything is fine and he has excuses for everything (2021 didn't count, there were no fans), but people that have climbed the corporate ladder high enough to give money away, are too smart to buy the excuses, they see the clown at the top of the mountain acting like a carnival barker telling everyone to look the other way. Only idiots like Bassfan fall for that crap.

I thought it would eventually happen once Sharpe didn't play, but I thought it would take longer.

Cal is a complete shit show right now and to use his own words "I can't hide you", that sums it all up for him. He put himself on top of the mountain, he thought he was better than everyone else and is trying to act like a mob boss, well, when you do that, you better be good and he is certainly not.

He tries very hard to act like everything is fine and he has excuses for everything (2021 didn't count, there were no fans), but people that have climbed the corporate ladder high enough to give money away, are too smart to buy the excuses, they see the clown at the top of the mountain acting like a carnival barker telling everyone to look the other way. Only idiots like Bassfan fall for that crap.
I agree with you 💯 I can’t believe that there are still some fans on here that are still backing this fraud. I honestly don’t think they’re true fans they’re here just to ruffle some feathers!

That was never my point. My point was coaches are getting these players money up front and are guaranteeing it. They have donors and plans are up for the collectives and NIL. Cal can’t have a good relationship with these donors at all
Cal has burned about every bridge with anyone associated with the program. It's not surprising he's probably pissed off the donors as well.

I agree with you 💯 I can’t believe that there are still some fans on here that are still backing this fraud. I honestly don’t think they’re true fans they’re here just to ruffle some feathers!
Bassfan is not a UK fan. He is a troll only here to instigate and get as many of us banned as possible. If I were a moderator I would sit that trash out to the curb.

I had a chance to talk to a big donor once. That was actually the surprising part, this multi-millionaire, a guy who had nothing in common with me , would discuss UK basketball with me, the one passion we shared.

At the time the discussion was oddly enough on our concern that Mitch wasn't going to hire Calipari and I was asking him if he felt getting involved would make a difference.

Anyways, the point in this is, these guys are just like us in many regards, they are passionate about the program.
They see this contract , the arrogance of the coach, and how he isn't delivering anything but lip service, and are ready to move on. Perhaps they aren't interested in giving money that's going to make Cal successful or mercenary players who only care about what the Kentucky program can do for them, while UK still comes up short

I had a chance to talk to a big donor once. That was actually the surprising part, this multi-millionaire, a guy who had nothing in common with me , would discuss UK basketball with me, the one passion we shared.

At the time the discussion was oddly enough on our concern that Mitch wasn't going to hire Calipari and I was asking him if he felt getting involved would make a difference.

Anyways, the point in this is, these guys are just like us in many regards, they are passionate about the program.
They see this contract , the arrogance of the coach, and how he isn't delivering anything but lip service, and are ready to move on. Perhaps they aren't interested in giving money that's going to make Cal successful or mercenary players who only care about what the Kentucky program can do for them, while UK still comes up short
The players can be mercenary as long as they deliver the goods. Paladin usually delivered what he was paid to do.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
We are in such a ridiculously bad place right now, it's unbelievable.

We have 2 big men on our entire roster and we can't get anyone who wants to come.
When we talked about this a couple of weeks ago, I wanted to be wrong. I wanted us to go get some grown men who could play and lead. But I knew none of those guys wanted to come sit behind a kid in their final season. Everyone knows Cal is playing these freshmen, even potential portal transfers. That's the problem. They know they won't get an equal chance.

The next coach and the next coach and so on will have mercenary players as well. Whether freshmen or transfers, all are mercenaries. It's a job now. The love of the school crap is gone.

I still find it fascinating that the big donors dislike calipari so much they would have forfeited a potentially strong season this year to get him gone sooner, if true. I feel if we had signed a couple strong transfers the team would have been a final four contender but are a couple strong players short of that now.

The donors should be ponying up buyout money and should have fired calipari this off season if above is true because they are only hurting UK waiting IMO. Because if they aren't gonna help the team compete at highest level it's pointless to have a team until cal is gone. A

CJ was given a fair shot and pardon the pun....couldn't hit one....so saying Cal doesn't give portal guys a fair shot is ludicrous....Grady played 40 minutes a game while he was here...Reid Travis played a ton....should I continue??

Reactions: Graham51
The players can be mercenary as long as they deliver the goods. Paladin usually delivered what he was paid to do.
yea absolutely but I think Sharpe just broke the donors. Had a kid on the team that could have turned that bunch into a title contender and Cal doesn't play him. Who wants to give money to that kind of player or leadership?

The next coach and the next coach and so on will have mercenary players as well. Whether freshmen or transfers, all are mercenaries. It's a job now. The love of the school crap is gone.

I still find it fascinating that the big donors dislike calipari so much they would have forfeited a potentially strong season this year to get him gone sooner, if true. I feel if we had signed a couple strong transfers the team would have been a final four contender but are a couple strong players short of that now.

The donors should be ponying up buyout money and should have fired calipari this off season if above is true because they are only hurting UK waiting IMO. Because if they aren't gonna help the team compete at highest level it's pointless to have a team until cal is gone. A
its doesn't really have anything to do with love of school. its about a one sided relationship where the players come in to focus solely on their future without giving anything back in return. Whether its refusing to play, only playing a specific position, demanding minutes, money or whatever - at the end of the day, they don't come here with the goal to win a championship, they come here with the goal to get paid - and that's 100% on Cal.

Why would donors feel compelled to sink money into that toxic situation? Future coaches will have to address what it means to bring a player in and have the player contribute to the goals of the program while at the same time aligning their personal goals.

The donors arent giving money toward the success of Calipari or Antonio Reeves going pro. They are giving money for NIL under the idea that their success as a UK player, wearing the UK uniform, bringing the program up as a title contender, will translate to fans buying their good or services and them getting an ROI.

RIght now the fans pretty much can't stand the coach, the product on the floor and the current state of the program. Giving money to support that may result in fan backlash for your continued support of this shitshow.

yea absolutely but I think Sharpe just broke the donors. Had a kid on the team that could have turned that bunch into a title contender and Cal doesn't play him. Who wants to give money to that kind of player or leadership?
Sharp is the prime example, I think Diallo set the whole process in motion although he did play. If he could have gotten drafted he would not have played. Sharpe perfected the process

its doesn't really have anything to do with love of school. its about a one sided relationship where the players come in to focus solely on their future without giving anything back in return. Whether its refusing to play, only playing a specific position, demanding minutes, money or whatever - at the end of the day, they don't come here with the goal to win a championship, they come here with the goal to get paid - and that's 100% on Cal.

Why would donors feel compelled to sink money into that toxic situation? Future coaches will have to address what it means to bring a player in and have the player contribute to the goals of the program while at the same time aligning their personal goals.
Just like every other player on other college teams who have the shared aspiration to participate in the NBA? Quit trying to act like what is happening at UK doesn't happen else where. I know it goes against your agenda and facts aren't your best friend but try to gain some common sense and get your head out of the sand to see what is happening outside your little world...

Reactions: Graham51
Just like every other player on other college teams who have the shared aspiration to participate in the NBA? Quit trying to act like what is happening at UK doesn't happen else where. I know it goes against your agenda and facts aren't your best friend but try to gain some common sense and get your head out of the sand to see what is happening outside your little world...
lots of Shannon Sharpes on teams in college basketball?

why don't you sit this one out Rex

Sharp is the prime example, I think Diallo set the whole process in motion although he did play. If he could have gotten drafted he would not have played. Sharpe perfected the process
yea Diallo is absolutely where Cal started defending losing in regards to helping a player reach his aspirations to the NBA. Losing 3 or 4 straight put him in that position.

Name another program where individual goals and accomplishments are the priority.

How many other schools have pro days?

How many other coaches said draft night was the greatest night in their schools history?

How many other schools use one-and-done players?

You're one oblivious SOB.

The crap that is happening here, is certainly not happening elsewhere and need I remind you, we are supposed to be the pinnacle of the sport, do you honestly think we are the gold standard?

even more reason for Reeves not to return. He could have contributed early in the year if given the chance but Cal had to play Lance Ware and only relented mid season with the Benny Line up
Playing Ware was bad enough, but we also see why Reeves wasn't playing earlier. Reeves has been playing college basketball long enough to know why he wasn't playing earlier.

Reactions: ukjenning44
Playing Ware was bad enough, but we also see why Reeves wasn't playing earlier. Reeves has been playing college basketball long enough to know why he wasn't playing earlier.
The veteran PG was throwing games? (kidding.....kinda)

Reactions: NociHTTP
Cal's lineups make zero sense. Reeves was miles better than Wheeler, but Wheeler was getting 32mpg +.

Mintz was a better pg than Devin Askew, but Cal force fed Askew down our throats until it was too late.

BJB had no business in a UK jersey, but Cal put him in the starting lineup every game.

Khalil Whitney… same thing.

If we had a coach that wasn't a stubborn idiot, this would be a non issue.

You know, another wrinkle in all of this that I don't think I've seen mentioned much at all..

If the rumors are going around that Cal isn't in it for the long haul, then the players and their camps have surely gotten wind of this. It might not be feasible to get a lot of transfer attention when everyone knows Cal could be gone next year. How do you recruit around that? Maybe you can't.

No other coach markets or manages their program like Cal does at UK. He has UK alone on another level above the rest. You know that.

Last edited:
You know, another wrinkle in all of this that I don't think I've seen mentioned much at all..

If the rumors are going around that Cal isn't in it for the long haul, then the players and their camps have surely gotten wind of this. It might not be feasible to get a lot of transfer attention when everyone knows Cal could be gone next year. How do you recruit around that? Maybe you can't.
Except most transfers are only at the new school for 1 year.

BJB had no business in a UK jersey, but Cal put him in the starting lineup every game.
Most everyone on this board, EXCEPT ME, was all over Boston thinking he would be our next great star.

In one HS game on tv, I saw he was a lazy selfish player, and said over & over on this board he was over-rated and would be a disappointment to BBN.

So I'm thinking most of "the bennies" would have kept playing him too.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Except most transfers are only at the new school for 1 year.

That might not be the case as we get into the anytime-transfer era. This is no longer just grad transfers. Some of these guys might not want to commit to a school where the coach could be gone the following year.

That’s true, but Cal has been so bad, the only way he is going to get good players, especially kids with handlers and NBA aspirations, is to make promises. Anyone that thinks these 5* kids are coming to UK without promises, is just not smart.
You will never convince the Cal slurpers of this. Can’t believe they are so gullable.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT