ADVERTISEMENT

Unfair advantage

Pulaski Cat Fan

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Somerset, Kentucky
To be honest, I don't like the idea of K coaching the USA team. I think if the USA is going to send NBA players then they should send a pro coach. The problem this causes for other colleges is obvious. You think it doesn't get a potential recruits attention when they see if I go to Duke then I may have a leg up in getting an Olympic selection. Hell he's got the power to put Plumlee on the team . That's a joke. Does anyone else have a problem with this?

To be honest, I don't like the idea of K coaching the USA team. I think if the USA is going to send NBA players then they should send a pro coach. The problem this causes for other colleges is obvious. You think it doesn't get a potential recruits attention when they see if I go to Duke then I may have a leg up in getting an Olympic selection. Hell he's got the power to put Plumlee on the team . That's a joke. Does anyone else have a problem with this?

Don't buy it. UK had SEVEN players on this team heading to the NBA. Did we need 10 to win a national championship?

Eh, it's part of his job. If Calipari were the team USA coach I wouldn't have any problem with him using it to his advantage, so it'd be hypocritical of me to complain about K using it. Fact is he's one of the best of all time, greatly aided by brash NCAA favoritism.

Is it an advantage? Definitely. Also the reason Cal coached Towns National team for a bit. To get a leg up on recruiting him.

buttercup.jpg

Nope. K is a great coach and deserves to be there. Good for him if he uses it to leverage recruits and I would expect Cal to do the same thing if he were in his position. K doesn't need USA basketball to be successful though. K has won 5 championships at Duke and has gotten multiple players to the league. That is how he gets recruits.

Reactions: sgrooms
It's an advantage but not an unfair one. Calipari would do the same thing, as would any other coach.

Coach K has ALWAYS gotten top-tier talent. This isn't a new thing.

mehhh... with Cal getting so many players to the NBA, its inevitable to know that there will soon be a roster full of UK players onthe olympic teams and will only be fitting to have Cal coach them. so im ok with k having his temporary time.

IMO, it's no worse than Calipari being friends with LeBron. Or inviting Drake to BBM. Or Jay Z. Or having pickup games with celebrities and NBA players (non-alums as well).

We like to call this "UK/Cal marketing" and of course, most of those scenarios don't even involve a direct ploy or plug for UK. However, by association, it benefits the program. Same with Coach K and the USA.

Now, I'd be arguing differently if he sucked as a coach and there was some favortism in letting him remain. Fact of the matter is he's one of the best coaches ever, and coaching the USA on the world level has been something he's done better than anyone.

Remember, team USA didn't fare very well before he took over. Everyone actually thought the "world was catching up." Not so much now...

A national sportswriter penned a story sometime last year about this very topic. He highlighted the extra contact K gets with all the recruits. He also presented some very compelling statistics that tracked K's recruiting resurgence with his time at USA basketball.

Of course it wasn't well received by most of the rest of the mainstream sportsmedia. But that's to be expected, given the slurping they give K on the regular.

The butthurt and obsession on all things Duke and Coach K is getting out of hand on this board. Always been bad but it's like the inmates are running the asylum since the upgrade.

Unless OP can show he was bitching about this when Cal coached the Dominicans to get in with KAT then it's just hypocritical whining.

None of it bothers me except Plumlee on the team. That was a travesty. Everyone with half a brain knows there's 100 better players, stars or role players, to put on team USA.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT