ADVERTISEMENT

Ul fans deny it but Pitino's

Kybluedude

All-SEC
Nov 19, 2005
Pitino's Porcinis tryst hurts him recruiting . Can deny it all you want but what parents don't question his character and want their sons in that atmosphere if they have a comparable choice.

Pitino's Porcinis tryst hurts him recruiting . Can deny it all you want but what parents don't question his character and want their sons in that atmosphere if they have a comparable choice.
I can't see why any good player would want to play for him, especially one with any sense of morality

They deny it because there is merit to it. UL fans always display lack of accountability when it comes to Pitino and UL players when in trouble. It is what OTIS does.

I just looked at Rivals real quick to see how much it changed dating to August, 2009 when all of this came out. Here is what it looks like:

2002 - 2009
5 Stars - 6
4 Stars - 10
3 Stars - 16

2010 - 2016
5 Stars - 2
4 Stars - 21
3 Stars - 6

Not so sure it has dropped off. Less 5 stars? yes But look at the difference in 3 and 4 stars.

If you took the average ranking, I'd bet the recruiting has really been stable.

I guarantee that the rise of Calipari at UK, Bill Self at Kansas and Sean Miller at Arizona, in addition to K at Duke, has affected it more than Pitino and Porcini's. Those coaches have dominated the 5-star recruiting over the same era you're saying it has dropped off.

I'll believe your initial post when I hear one single recruit or see a single article saying RP's morality has hurt UL's recruiting.

In 2009, Bill Self is coming off a national title, John Calipari is hired at UK and Sean Miller is hired at Arizona. This changed the recruiting landscape.

5-stars since 2009...to Kansas, Kentucky, Arizona and Duke.

2009 - 7/25
2010 - 6/27
2011 - 7/26
2012 - 8/25
2013 - 12/26
2014 - 9/24
2015 - 11/24

Total - 60/177 - 34% of 5-star recruits off the table to 4 schools. Pretty astounding.

Reactions: beasleythecard
That was like a century ago, these kids don't even know or care.

He's getting guys he can get, period. Sometimes he will land a top 20 kid and he will chase after elites but most aren't going there for several reasons...none of which are tied to the Sypher thing.

We can kick Rick for recruiting misses, but we can't deny he figures out a way to win.

However I wouldn't trade 7 years of Cal for 14 years of Rick.

I thought it would and it seems like one of those logical things but it hasn't. The affair hasn't hurt Bobby P either. Best guess, parents/players don't care or don't know. From an outsider looking in, it looks like Sypher was at fault. She did go to jail and Pitino went unpunished and won a title a couple years after she was sentenced. Unless you were deeply involved, you just glaze over now. You're talking 6 years ago.

I'll continue to say it for Pitino. I have no idea why any 5 star would ever go there. He just doesn't have the ability to handle the egos that come with it. And when you look at his career as a whole, has he ever really. Sure there are the exceptions of Antoine Walker, Ron Mercer but both only stayed 2 years. That '96 team was just a different era. You had guys come in who were highly touted and sit the bench, learn to play, and were okay with that. The guy just does better with the Russ Smith type players. Now, he scoffs at the idea these 5 stars want to start and play immediately. There are really two ways to go about it in basketball recruiting. You get the second level guys or the 5 star one and dones. Both have worked to the tune of 1 title when it comes to UK and UL but give me Cal's way all day any day. Less fear and more excitement in my book.

Reactions: Bird Watcher
If you took the average ranking, I'd bet the recruiting has really been stable.

I guarantee that the rise of Calipari at UK, Bill Self at Kansas and Sean Miller at Arizona, in addition to K at Duke, has affected it more than Pitino and Porcini's. Those coaches have dominated the 5-star recruiting over the same era you're saying it has dropped off.

I'll believe your initial post when I hear one single recruit or see a single article saying RP's morality has hurt UL's recruiting.

I tend to agree. The players Pitino is recruiting were watching Sponge Bob on TV and not media reports of Porchini's. Pitino has a bigger problem that is hurting his recruiting. Its the fact that he is a jerk. As we saw this past season, his three top players headed to the league arguably hate his guts. Hell, Rozier refused to even wear the LilBro jersey on the draft show.

So you add this to the fact that Pitino puts PITINO first and is perfectly willing to ruin a players draft chances as long as it improves LilBro's won-loss record. That is L1C4. Sacrifice your position in the draft so Pitino looks good.

The word is out on the street. That is why Pitinos final days will look a lot like Denny Crums....without the "good guy" part.

I disagree.

Pitino is a better coach and performs better when the chips are stacked against him talent-wise. He's also got a solid athletic department and the ACC behind him. It won't ever be as bad as it was in Crum's final years. Pitino has too much pride and ego for that to happen. He would "retire" in some capacity, with an exaggerated medical condition or ailment or something before he starting to have teams under .500.

I tend to agree. The players Pitino is recruiting were watching Sponge Bob on TV and not media reports of Porchini's. Pitino has a bigger problem that is hurting his recruiting. Its the fact that he is a jerk. As we saw this past season, his three top players headed to the league arguably hate his guts. Hell, Rozier refused to even wear the LilBro jersey on the draft show.

So you add this to the fact that Pitino puts PITINO first and is perfectly willing to ruin a players draft chances as long as it improves LilBro's won-loss record. That is L1C4. Sacrifice your position in the draft so Pitino looks good.

The word is out on the street. That is why Pitinos final days will look a lot like Denny Crums....without the "good guy" part.
amen SEXtino is a pariah..most Lil Brothers don't know what that means....He's a scumbag..The whole program smells like a rat..When does Karen get out..Maybe he's game for another 15 seconds..[laughing]

I disagree.

Pitino is a better coach and performs better when the chips are stacked against him talent-wise. He's also got a solid athletic department and the ACC behind him. It won't ever be as bad as it was in Crum's final years. Pitino has too much pride and ego for that to happen. He would "retire" in some capacity, with an exaggerated medical condition or ailment or something before he starting to have teams under .500.
He probably has the CLAP ..Karen screwed everybody in Louisville..or did the Cleveland Clinic treat that?

I am one of the UofL fans that has to disagree here. Rick has recruited very well. We have top 10 classes nearly every year and if I am not mistaken didn't we have the number 2 class just within the last couple of years? Also I believe we have the most wins over the last 4 seasons or something like that. So I would say Rick's doing just fine.

Reactions: beasleythecard
I thought it would and it seems like one of those logical things but it hasn't. The affair hasn't hurt Bobby P either. Best guess, parents/players don't care or don't know. From an outsider looking in, it looks like Sypher was at fault. She did go to jail and Pitino went unpunished and won a title a couple years after she was sentenced. Unless you were deeply involved, you just glaze over now. You're talking 6 years ago.

I'll continue to say it for Pitino. I have no idea why any 5 star would ever go there. He just doesn't have the ability to handle the egos that come with it. And when you look at his career as a whole, has he ever really. Sure there are the exceptions of Antoine Walker, Ron Mercer but both only stayed 2 years. That '96 team was just a different era. You had guys come in who were highly touted and sit the bench, learn to play, and were okay with that. The guy just does better with the Russ Smith type players. Now, he scoffs at the idea these 5 stars want to start and play immediately. There are really two ways to go about it in basketball recruiting. You get the second level guys or the 5 star one and dones. Both have worked to the tune of 1 title when it comes to UK and UL but give me Cal's way all day any day. Less fear and more excitement in my book.

Most well-rounded post I've read on here. Thanks.

Reactions: kats23
I am one of the UofL fans that has to disagree here. Rick has recruited very well. We have top 10 classes nearly every year and if I am not mistaken didn't we have the number 2 class just within the last couple of years? Also I believe we have the most wins over the last 4 seasons or something like that. So I would say Rick's doing just fine.
Nope

2015 - #9
2014 - #7
2013 - #7
2012 - NR in top-30
2011 - #9
2010 - NR in top-30
2009 - #16

That's in the Cal era. The best recruiting class before that (and only going back to 2003) was #5 in 2004 but that was with Amir Johnson included and he bolted for the NBA before ever coming to campus. Although his best class was likely (or could have been) 2004 except that Sebastian Telfair and Donta Smith opted for the NBA, they still had Brian Johnson, Lorenzo Wade, and Juan Palacios.

Also the "most wins over the last 4 years" argument is gone. Rick's still done well. That 2013 title speaks for itself. But it hasn't been so much as a result of recruiting, which was kind of the point of the thread.

Above is a perfect example of the way in which Jurich's propaganda machine gets its lies pumped into the fans talking point memos....and they just keep spewing them around the internet as though they are factual. Toss in a totally arbitrary date range with little or no meaning....and one that no longer is true....and you have touched all the propaganda bases.

Whatever gets you through the night.....only a LilBro fan can attempt to compare Pitino's recruiting record with ours....where #1 recruiting classes are as common as the sun coming up in the morning....and of course "the most wins of ALL TIME" trumps an anecdotal date range selected to make you feel good.

Reactions: crittel56
Actually UK has 126 wins vs UofL's 123 wins in the last 4 years. As for UofL having the #2 rated class, I don't know where you got that number unless you were talking about #2 rated class in the state of Kentucky. So yes you are mistaken on both.

Ratino is a perfect ambassador to advance and promote the L1C4 mumbo-jumbo.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT