ADVERTISEMENT

When does Winning come first?

ULisnotmyman

Sophomore
Jul 24, 2017
We can sit here and keep going in circles, but the bottom line is when do we stop being a charity for 17 year olds and their poor families and start being a college basketball program? Because if you read between the lines that is what is stopping Cal from being the coach we all want him to be.

If JVC comes back, then people have to have enough pride to just completely vacate a season. Mitch and Cal would be gone at that point, right? Find something else to do. I know this would take care of the problem if people would do it. Leave historic Rupp Arena alone for a while, let her rest.

Cal is feeling the pressure from administration, fans, media badly now. He knows he's going to have to win games at all costs. That means putting the best line-ups on the floor, using more zone when appropriate, having the team watch GAME FILM, among other things.

We can sit here and keep going in circles, but the bottom line is when do we stop being a charity for 17 year olds and their poor families and start being a college basketball program? Because if you read between the lines that is what is stopping Cal from being the coach we all want him to be.
The reason Cal gives about helping families fix generational poverty is not totally true. What i mean is if you read the players' bios, you will see that the majority come from 2 parent households, both parents work and the homelike appears stable. A couple have single parent households, but I don't think they're living in poverty. I am basing this on the players' bios, yes, but when Cal says it, he makes it sound as though most of the players NEED to get to the next level so their families can eat and not sleep in cardboard boxes. Of course, I'm exaggerating, but in general, he is making it sound much worse than I think it is. Again, just based on what I've read and what he has said.

Reactions: ULisnotmyman
The reason Cal gives about helping families fix generational poverty is not totally true. What i mean is if you read the players' bios, you will see that the majority come from 2 parent households, both parents work and the homelike appears stable. A couple have single parent households, but I don't think they're living in poverty. I am basing this on the players' bios, yes, but when Cal says it, he makes it sound as though most of the players NEED to get to the next level so their families can eat and not sleep in cardboard boxes. Of course, I'm exaggerating, but in general, he is making it sound much worse than I think it is. Again, just based on what I've read and what he has said.
And to go a step further, almost every one of them will be just as successful whether they come here or not. So what is the REAL reason? Hmmmm

Cal is feeling the pressure from administration, fans, media badly now. He knows he's going to have to win games at all costs. That means putting the best line-ups on the floor, using more zone when appropriate, having the team watch GAME FILM, among other things.
I wish I could believe this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT