ADVERTISEMENT

UK Facebook Forum admin says

The calls are coming from the coaching staff. They still have a job to do, and will continue to do so, until they are told not to. Calipari as of this moment is still the coach.

Recruits wouldn’t speak to the athletic department or administration. They can be deciding his fate and the current coaches can be recruiting and touching base with commitments.

This is no different then if you asked Joe Biden if he was gonna be president the next 4 years. He would say yes. Does he know that? Of course not, but what else is he gonna say?

100% correct. You have a job to do until you don't.

Not sure what he will share but I'd recommend listening to 630 WLAP from 9-10:30a EST to see what Pilgrim has to say. He has been providing updates as he gets them.

Reactions: Fox2monk
the wheels won’t fall off until fans stop going to rupp arena. and that won’t happen

Reactions: catzcan
He may be awful with contracts, but being football-focused is a great thing. Basketball-only ADs are poison.

Just hire a competent basketball coach who cares more about UK than the NBA, and the rest is gravy.
Correct. I want Mitch gone as much as the next guy but I'm terrified that UK will be pressured to bring back Peevey for 'PC' reasons. He's a basketball only AD (DePaul doesn't even have football) and I believe they had the worst record in D1 this year. Please keep him away from UK.

I would expect those reassurance calls to be made, until the moment they are no longer true.

We're all drained. It's tiring. Here's the thing-Cal actually had some great Freshmen in Rob/Reed. He played them on the damn bench all year. I mean WTF??

My issue is this with Cal....he's changed staff several times over....he actually made a hire that I think universally was liked and impact was seen with Welch this year--he did a great job with player development and some offensive impact/improving shooting, etc... and then Cal goes to "Twin Towers" against Oakland when your season is on the line and that was a pathetic response to a coach "daring him to go big" by openly and honestly stating Kentucky has no big men that scare us and we can beat them because of that.

Of this year's class--I love Boogie Fland and Jayden Quaintance. Billy Richmond is a guy who can be an excellent addition in terms of versatility and toughness. Somto is an SEC type of big but nothing that is going to dominate a game. Think he's an upgrade in terms of defensively but offensively crude. Karter Knox is someone I'd like if he was a program player for 2/3 yrs-we all know he'll be 1 and done in his mind. He's awful when you try and play through him. He's a 4th/5th option contributor. Travis Perry is an elite shooter but not an elite athlete or ball handler. I think SEC speed will bother him but he can shoot the damn ball.

So what is needed? Experienced talent. I'd not have pushed for Knox personally. Would've let him go to USF or stay in OTE another year.

If Cal leaves-hit re-set button and get someone in ASAP because you need to get the Portal going and hope that guy has attachment to recruits too. Be it his own he signed where he was or somewhere. This can't drag out.

If you keep Cal--this roster is going to have 6 FR--and of the 6--I think 2 are impactful where they can contribute immediately at a level that is winning basketball--Fland and Quaintance. Fland is an actual PG that has been lacking for some time and I'd have as a top 10 player in this class. Quaintance is an exceptionally talented frontcourt player I'd have in top 5 of this class and lean towards top 3. Richmond is the wildcard but think he can help off the bench. Now who do you keep? Who do you bring in? The rest of this class isn't elite at all.
Yeah Welch was a great hire, but the 2 most important games we went back to his classic style and didn’t resemble the same offense we had all year. It’s crazy to me.

Correct. I want Mitch gone as much as the next guy but I'm terrified that UK will be pressured to bring back Peevey for 'PC' reasons. He's a basketball only AD (DePaul doesn't even have football) and I believe they had the worst record in D1 this year. Please keep him away from UK.
What are these 'PC' reasons you speak of?

Our AD is a damn joke, this whole athletic department is a damn joke. Let’s let the damn pile of shit coach hold us hostage because he has a bunch of mid recruits coming when college basketball is getting older every year. Nothing will change, and we will be right back here next year after a first weekend loss wondering why UConn, unc and others keep going further In the tourney than Kentucky
Actually, I think college basketball starts getting younger again now that the covid stuff drops off.

Reactions: 1war
Apparently Calipari underachieving is is an opportunity to rant about political correctness because Dwayne Peevey is black.

Rupp Rafters

How many of you have got flashbacks to the commentary from when Calipari arrived here in 09? Of course they all said it would get UK on probation but there were plenty who just said Cal will leave it burning like he does everywhere else he’s went.

Reactions: catzcan
We're all drained. It's tiring. Here's the thing-Cal actually had some great Freshmen in Rob/Reed. He played them on the damn bench all year. I mean WTF??

My issue is this with Cal....he's changed staff several times over....he actually made a hire that I think universally was liked and impact was seen with Welch this year--he did a great job with player development and some offensive impact/improving shooting, etc... and then Cal goes to "Twin Towers" against Oakland when your season is on the line and that was a pathetic response to a coach "daring him to go big" by openly and honestly stating Kentucky has no big men that scare us and we can beat them because of that.

Of this year's class--I love Boogie Fland and Jayden Quaintance. Billy Richmond is a guy who can be an excellent addition in terms of versatility and toughness. Somto is an SEC type of big but nothing that is going to dominate a game. Think he's an upgrade in terms of defensively but offensively crude. Karter Knox is someone I'd like if he was a program player for 2/3 yrs-we all know he'll be 1 and done in his mind. He's awful when you try and play through him. He's a 4th/5th option contributor. Travis Perry is an elite shooter but not an elite athlete or ball handler. I think SEC speed will bother him but he can shoot the damn ball.

So what is needed? Experienced talent. I'd not have pushed for Knox personally. Would've let him go to USF or stay in OTE another year.

If Cal leaves-hit re-set button and get someone in ASAP because you need to get the Portal going and hope that guy has attachment to recruits too. Be it his own he signed where he was or somewhere. This can't drag out.

If you keep Cal--this roster is going to have 6 FR--and of the 6--I think 2 are impactful where they can contribute immediately at a level that is winning basketball--Fland and Quaintance. Fland is an actual PG that has been lacking for some time and I'd have as a top 10 player in this class. Quaintance is an exceptionally talented frontcourt player I'd have in top 5 of this class and lean towards top 3. Richmond is the wildcard but think he can help off the bench. Now who do you keep? Who do you bring in? The rest of this class isn't elite at all.
So, basically we‘ll have a similar team, but without shooters. Great.

All this is happening right before Calipari is about to land his best class since the Fox/Monk/Bam class - Dybantsa, Thomas, Acuff, Johnson, and Wilson.

I could see a scenario where he coaches at UK one more season, and then takes those guys with him to a lesser school, bringing a second year Quaintance with him as well.

I don't write that because I want Calipari to stay, but it would be Cal's middle finger to BBN. He'd leave us in ashes the same way he left Memphis in ashes.
Honest question. No matter when Cal leaves and no matter the circumstances do you think Cal leaves the program in anything but shambles?

Actually, I think college basketball starts getting younger again now that the covid stuff drops off.

Honest question. No matter when Cal leaves and no matter the circumstances do you think Cal leaves the program in anything but shambles?
If he leaves, it’s really not his deal if the recruits decide not to come. It doesn’t look like Cal will leave for another job now, as they’re filling quick. If he leaves, nothing is in shambles, especially with the transfer portal. It would be up to a new coach or staff to work on current players or recruits. The program is solid with facilities, etc , and will be bringing in even more money now that the SEC has expanded

Reactions: EliteBlue
"very difficult to navigate." And he's being nice.
Jim Harbaugh was vastly underachieving at Michigan, and basically dropped his pants and re-negotiated a contract that paid him less and lowered the buyout. Luckily for him, Michigan football took off. They ended up having some of the best years ever for them , which included a Natty. That would be about the only hope for Cal.

Reactions: EliteBlue
Jim Harbaugh was vastly underachieving at Michigan, and basically dropped his pants, and re-negotiated a contract that paid him less and lowered the buyout. Luckily for him, Michigan football took off. They ended up having some of the best years ever for them , which included a Natty. That would be about the only hope for Cal.
It also helps when you cheat like a hooker.

If he leaves, it’s really not his deal if the recruits decide not to come. It doesn’t look like Cal will leave for another job now, as they’re filling quick. If he leaves, nothing is in shambles, especially with the transfer portal. It would be up to a new coach or staff to work on current players or recruits. The program is solid with facilities, etc , and will be bringing in even more money now that the SEC has expanded
My point being when Cal leaves, he will leave nothing regardless. Cal does not and never has cared about the UK program beyond how he could use it. Granted, times have changed significantly but at least when Pitino discussed his leaving he said something to the effect that if he doesn’t leave a strong foundation for the next coach then his tenure was not as successful as it should have been.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
My point being when Cal leaves, he will leave nothing regardless. Cal does not and never has cared about the UK program beyond how he could use it. Granted, times have changed significantly but at least when Pitino discussed his leaving he said something to the effect that if he doesn’t leave a strong foundation for the next coach then his tenure was not as successful as it should have been.
True, I totally get what you’re saying. The program is definitely better than when Cal found it, and we have four more final fours and the national championship. I wouldn’t have any issues with him looking back. Now, next year‘s roster would probably be thin. ..

True, I totally get what you’re saying. The program is definitely better than when Cal found it, and we have four more final fours and the national championship. I wouldn’t have any issues with him looking back. Now, next year‘s roster would probably be thin. ..
No, we're not.

Kentucky hasn't played a meaningful game in the NCAA tournament since 2019. It is 2024. A 6-year hiatus from the sweet 16 at Kentucky? That's minimum.

Cal said he was happy at Memphis just hours before he left for Lexington.
RpMcs7O.jpeg

No, we're not.

Kentucky hasn't played a meaningful game in the NCAA tournament since 2019. It is 2024. A 6-year hiatus from the sweet 16 at Kentucky? That's minimum.
I think it’s better than when Billy was here, and the overall health of the program is at least the same or better. We’ve had four final fours and one national championship since 2010. I can’t say the program is worse off than when Cal got here, is what I am saying. I don’t think you really judge the overall health of a program by the NCAA tournament results over 5 yrs .
If Alabama football played in the music city bowl for four straight years, I think it would still be regarded as one of the two best football programs in the country, assuming a new coach did not run them into probation or something.

I think it’s better than when Billy was here, and the overall health of the program is at least the same or better. We’ve had four final fours and one national championship since 2010. I can’t say the program is worse off than when Cal got here, is what I am saying. I don’t think you really judge the overall health of a program by the NCAA tournament results over 5 yrs .
If Alabama football played in the music city bowl for four straight years, I think it would still be regarded as one of the two best football programs in the country, assuming a new coach did not run them into probation or something.
No, it's not.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
''If Kentucky were to bring John Calipari back most reasonable fans would still support him and the team''.

GFY Chris Fisher.
Don't you love these little digs? I always find amusement in them.

'Anyone who is smart"
"Anyone who is reasonable will"
"Anyone who knows basketball"

How many other company heads would keep their jobs of high expectations with results like this? None.

There's no more goodwill. It has run its course. Split amicably or be hated.

Don't you love these little digs? I always find amusement in them.

'Anyone who is smart"
"Anyone who is reasonable will"
"Anyone who knows basketball"

How many other company heads would keep their jobs of high expectations with results like this? None.

There's no more goodwill. It has run its course. Split amicably or be hated.
Daily example of why everyone is tuning out media. Half-wit condescending puppets that are afraid to present any independent thought.

Apparently Calipari underachieving is is an opportunity to rant about political correctness because Dwayne Peevey is black.

Rupp Rafters
You’re in denial if you don’t think UK will be under pressure to hire him for obvious reasons. That’s your choice. And if we get stuck with him it will more than likely be a disaster.

• Haha
Reactions: KAB Cats
You’re in denial if you don’t think UK will be under pressure to hire him for obvious reasons. That’s your choice. And if we get stuck with him it will more than likely be a disaster.
One reason Cal does not have much of a relationship with Mitch, is because UK, for whatever reason, made Peevey sort of the athletic Director over men’s basketball. He was the person that cal dealt with, and not Mitch. To Be fair to everyone, you couldn’t get more of a difference in personalities than Mitch and Cal ….however one feels about either

Reactions: seccats04
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT