ADVERTISEMENT

I think I know why so many are against Scott Drew.

I will support the team, regardless of who the coach is … provided he is not opposed to running “floppy stuff” to get shooters open. 😎

Last edited:
Cal brainwashed part of the fanbase. Maybe they are the younger portion who doesn’t know that we have been UK and won with Tubby, Pitino, Joe B Hall, Rupp AND Cal. We are going to be fine.

Some seem to think that Coach Drew is just some Bible Thumping Boy Scout. Perhaps watching how his 2021 team dismantled Gonzaga would be good homework. His team has some Dawgs.

A large part of the opposition seems to be anti-Christian, dislike of Mitch (also could be somewhat anti-Christian) and that he's supposedly Mitch's friend (also an example of dislike of Mitch).

The legitimate concerns are his post season record which is somewhat tempered by his Championship and also the fact he's at Baylor which did nothing at all before he got there and was actually pretty much a DOA program.

Another concern seems to be we didn't pursue Hurley or Donovan which may or may not be true (I think not true) and both those guys might not even be interested anyway.

Because fans want a roster full of 5 star players who will be NBA all-stars but also an older team with players who stick around a few years and are flashy but also players who play team ball and who are coached by an out-going arrogant trash talking coach but also someone who is humble and modest and someone who will tell it like it is and not afraid to stand up to the administration, media, fans, and boosters but also someone who gets along with the administration, media, fans, and boosters and someone who is up-and-coming young gun coach but also has years of experience and a great resume and someone who likes Coca-Cola but also likes Pepsi
Post of the year!

I could care less about his religion as I believe most here would agree. I care about his coaching and bringing and keeping or developing top talent (which I prefer portal following U. Conn's lead). If Coach Drew can do that he can be a Buddhist monk.

What I don't get is the posts about his record and fear he won't get top recruits. Cal got top recruits every year, how has that worked out the past 9 years? Why are some wanting a repeat of the very model that doomed us? If you worry about that issue then you should have begged Cal never to leave. I say let's get a coach who knows how to coach a team, make adjustments during a game, help players improve, don't play favorites, and so on.

Those wanting instant gratification are missing the reason for the change.

Reactions: MachineHead1
It has to be more about roster building going forward, as best as can be done in the current state of CBB.

If Drew comes this fits on the historical scale of UK coaches since Rupp.

We can use the GGD model (Great, Good, Drunk) or BBD model (Brash, Boring, Drunk) as both models are the same.

GGD:
Great: Rupp, Pitino, Cal
Good: Hall, Smith, Drew??
Drunk: Sutton, Gillispie, ???

BBD:
Brash: Rupp, Pitino, Cal
Boring: Hall, Smith, Drew??
Drunk: Sutton, Gillispie, ???
This is an excellent represent illustration of my thoughts. Get ready for tubbyball.

I read on twitter last 3 or 5 years Drew and Baylor are:

#1 in Wins
#1 in NCAA Tournament W/L
#1 in National Championships (tied)
#1 vs Ranked Opponents
#1 as an underdog #2 in Conference W/L
#3 in Home W/L
#10 in active NBA Players

I’m starting to get on board.
Dont be stating facts.

Just win.

It solves all problems.

Reactions: Skyguyb27
Based on a number of posts, there appears to be a contingent that is against Drew because he’s an evangelical Christian,
I chose to live in a world where I hope that this isn't true. But I'm sure it true for some, but I wouldn't think many. I was raised religious, but while I'm a believer, I'm not playing for God's variety team these days.

As far as Drew not being flashy and not the big personality type. That's true. But to those that remember Kentucky winning and largely still do well outside of Pitino and Cal, they know it can be done. I wasn't around for Rupp, so no clue there. After Cal, I honestly feel the health of this program needs Drew right now. It's not just about Ws and Ls. This program needs to get healthy. The brand needs cleansed. The culture restored. For these reasons, I do believe Drew is our guy. ...for this moment.

And no, I'm not going to throw a fit like a toddler if another coach is hired. I'm ready to roll with any of them. Absolutely ready!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT