ADVERTISEMENT

UK Athletics is a dumpster fire

He didn’t cheat like FSU, Tennessee, and the next teams to get hit you mean. Sugarcoating cheating and being a dirty program by saying it’s taking risks, too funny.
Who cares? There’s no penalty to do that. Would you rather lose squeaky clean or win and bend the rules to your benefit? The answer is obvious. Until cheating gets penalized why in the world would anybody stop or not do it. This is a billion dollar knife fight not a character Olympics.

Dumpster fire is a bit of an exaggeration.

Barnhart reminds me of a government manager. He just wants things to stay steady, and so long as the roof isn't on fire he is happy in his little oblivion bubble. The ol' saying good enough for government work comes to mind.

By the way, he just signed a new contract. He is here until 2028 with a 1.2M contact that appreciates each year. That is low compared to some other schools, so he works cheap too.

These contracts of his are an egregious violation of trust. He also seems to have a problem with roi. I wouldn't be sad to see him kick bricks.

RankSchoolTotal RevenueTotal Expenses
1.Ohio State$251,615,345$225,733,418
2.Texas$239,290,648$225,153,011
3.Alabama$214,365,357$195,881,911
4.Michigan$210,652,287$193,559,375
5.Georgia$203,048,566$169,026,503
6.LSU$199,309,382$192,770,399
7.Texas A&M$193,139,619$177,671,900
8.Florida$190,417,139$174,365,070
9.Penn State$181,227,448$170,542,050
10.Oklahoma$177,320,217$175,997,457
11.Auburn$174,568,442$151, 590,763
12.Michigan State$172,799,513$156,449,795
13.Indiana$166,761,471$132,392,596
14.Virginia$161,916,231$150,584,173
15.Florida State$161,141,884$150,777,734
16.Kentucky$159,079,024$153,621,183

You think 18 million plus per season is worth a couple of Duke’s Mayo Bowls, one NCAAT and one SECT win over 5 years?

I wouldn’t want you investing my $$$$
That doesn’t make our strategy of sitting back and not even attempting to be at the cutting edge of the NIL space a good strategy. It was such a great opportunity for Kentucky to take a chance and maybe come out ahead. No reason we can’t do what Ole Miss and Missouri have done at a minimum.

He’s scared to take risks. He does not like making moves. With NIL he took the approach to sit back and wait for the NCAA to clean it up, we got burned on that. And frankly nobody is gonna give him the benefit of the doubt bc of his bland personality and the way he has said many times he doesn’t really care what fans want. He just seems like somebody who is stuck on amateurism and unwilling to move on to the semi-pro way of doing things. We are never gonna be ahead of the curve with NIL or anything as long as he is here.

How did he get burned by NIL? UK has cleaned up in the portal which is NIL driven. No AD likes to make moves if programs are successful. His job isn't to be a cheerleader, it's to build UK athletic programs to championship level, and that has happened under him. UK hasn't won a SEC or national football title but for 17 years the most dominate coach the last 50 years has been in conference. If and when UK decides to fire him he won't have a problem finding another job and there will be quite a few current ADs looking over their shoulder.

But the AD doesn't have the final decision on anything, how sure are you Barnhart is working with the freedom to make the things you want to happen can take place.

The one at UGA isn't awful, but he hasn't improved anything, the previous one was a glorified ticket counter and a former UF assistant AD that wanted to hire his buddy Dan Mullen over Kirby. He was told Kirby had agreed to terms get the contract signed or he was history. Lots of ADs out there worse than yours

With NIL he took the approach to sit back and wait for the NCAA to clean it up, we got burned on that.
“We got burned on that.”

In what sport?

Our recruiting, especially the transfers, has risen since NIL.

Yeah, Stoops bitched in May, 2023, but hasn’t since some major donors jumped in soon after his public remarks.

What football recruit have we lost to NIL scarcity?

is worth a couple of Duke’s Mayo Bowls,
Name the second Mayo Bowl opponents.

Mmmmm, we’ve had 3 Florida bowls in those 5 years, with wins over two ranked opponents.

A feat we had not accomplished since 1976.

Hey, if he has to win a Natty for his pay grade to keep you happy, say so.

Don’t denigrate his record with clear misstatement . . . it ruins your rep, not Stoops’.

Reactions: CatPatrick13
We can whine and moan about Cal and Stoops all we want, and I'm right there with you. But it's becoming more and more apparent to me that the head brass at UK aren't all that interested in winning at a high level. They are happy just humming along at the middle of the pack. Until that mentality changes, nothing else will and we are what we are.

We can whine and moan about Cal and Stoops all we want, and I'm right there with you. But it's becoming more and more apparent to me that the head brass at UK aren't all that interested in winning at a high level. They are happy just humming along at the middle of the pack. Until that mentality changes, nothing else will and we are what we are.
I can say with certainty they want to win. But there are two problems. One, they want to win in everything so other than the financial stuff—I don’t feel that football/MBB wins matter any more than the non-revenue sports. It matters to the fans, but it’s well documented how Mitch feels about UK fans. Secondly, when your AD is an insecure business man who never played or coached — these types of results are much more predictable/probable. He surrounds himself with a bunch of “Yes Men” who all see Mitch as their meal ticket. For all of his shortcomings, his AD tree is very impressive — Rob Mullens, DeWayne Peevy, Scott Stricklin, Mark Coyle, Kevin Saal, and Greg Byrne. Why would anyone challenge him internally?

I think it’s a point of pride for some UK fans, myself included, that we have the longest tenured bball and fball coaches, and athletic director in the conference. But I also wonder if that’s necessarily a good thing, or might we benefit from some fresh ideas at the top of the program from time to time.

Reactions: Basil Cat
I can say with certainty they want to win. But there are two problems. One, they want to win in everything so other than the financial stuff—I don’t feel that football/MBB wins matter any more than the non-revenue sports. It matters to the fans, but it’s well documented how Mitch feels about UK fans. Secondly, when your AD is an insecure business man who never played or coached — these types of results are much more predictable/probable. He surrounds himself with a bunch of “Yes Men” who all see Mitch as their meal ticket. For all of his shortcomings, his AD tree is very impressive — Rob Mullens, DeWayne Peevy, Scott Stricklin, Mark Coyle, Kevin Saal, and Greg Byrne. Why would anyone challenge him internally?
I wouldn't say he is a business man at all. Look at those illogical contracts.

He’s scared to take risks. He does not like making moves. With NIL he took the approach to sit back and wait for the NCAA to clean it up, we got burned on that. And frankly nobody is gonna give him the benefit of the doubt bc of his bland personality and the way he has said many times he doesn’t really care what fans want. He just seems like somebody who is stuck on amateurism and unwilling to move on to the semi-pro way of doing things. We are never gonna be ahead of the curve with NIL or anything as long as he is here.
Throw in him handcuffing both football and basketball with these ridiculous one sided contracts that make it nearly impossible to fire either. He also ruined the women's basketball team with his latest hire and the baseball hire wasn't that great minus this year and his first year with the team he inherited. Barnhart's best days might be behind him.

You think 18 million plus per season is worth a couple of Duke’s Mayo Bowls, one NCAAT and one SECT win over 5 years?

I wouldn’t want you investing my $$$$
Well the teams in front of us would take up about 9 bowls... so what bowl would be 9 down on the list?.... Look it up and let us know.

Who cares? There’s no penalty to do that. Would you rather lose squeaky clean or win and bend the rules to your benefit? The answer is obvious. Until cheating gets penalized why in the world would anybody stop or not do it. This is a billion dollar knife fight not a character Olympics.
No penalty when FSU just negotiated their penalty. I’m glad y’all are finally admitting that you just want to cheat instead of making up stuff about UK doesn’t support NIL. Just say UK doesn’t cheat.

titanic black and white GIF

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT