ADVERTISEMENT

Painter, after 18 years, makes $3.6 million according to Google

We most likely won't. There is a lot more pressure and expectations here than Purdue though. We are gonna have to pay a lot to get a guy like Oats or Drew or whoever to leave jobs they can win at with little to no pressure to come here.

Reactions: Fox2monk
We most likely won't. There is a lot more pressure and expectations here than Purdue though. We are gonna have to pay a lot to get a guy like Oats or Drew or whoever to leave jobs they can win at with little to no pressure to come here.
My question is does it take an Oats or Drew, at astronomical salary heights, to win big at UK? We should always have top 15 talent. With a better bench coach (bar set extremely low), shouldn't the expectation be for S16 or better 50% of the time?

Some coach who is doing well elsewhere would love to have a $1M+ raise, maybe some incentives to boost that further, wouldn't you think? UK fans, I think, would be satisfied with 2nd weekend runs (or better) every other year, wouldn't they?

Reactions: TM2013
My question is does it take an Oats or Drew, at astronomical salary heights, to win big at UK? We should always have top 15 talent. With a better bench coach (bar set extremely low), shouldn't the expectation be for S16 or better 50% of the time?

Some coach who is doing well elsewhere would love to have a $1M+ raise, maybe some incentives to boost that further, wouldn't you think? UK fans, I think, would be satisfied with 2nd weekend runs (or better) every other year, wouldn't they?

We have had that with Calipari with 8 2nd weekends out of 14 years of ncaa tournament (not counting covid year) and no one is happy due to recent awful years.

I keep asking why we feel the need to spend >$8 million on Cal's successor. Plenty of good coaches, with UK's inherit advantages, who would be successful without overpaying which is what we've done for 5+ years now.
Is this the randomly pull any vomit that pops into your head?

Bc he's literally never won anything in 18 years until today..

He wouldn't be paid 3.8 at UK either bc he would've already been fired after year 3. Let me know where you're confused on this. Are you saying you wouldn't be whining when Painter lost as a 1 seed to a 16? What's SDSU's head coach paid? He made a title game last year...Painter hasnt...why is Painter paid 3.8? Why us SDSU coach paid less than Bruce Pearl who makes over 5 million...Pearl's never Been to a title game and lost to yale. See how dumb this game is

I keep asking, while we know everyone is angry...they think it's a rational thought to type any remedial nonsense that pops in their head.

"Why is guy who's been to 6 final fours and a 75% win percentage getting paid more than a guy who's just now getting to his 1st in 20 years with a 60 some percent win percentage"

Its a mystery

Last edited:
Reactions: fastpaste101
Going to cost more to follow Calipari. The reason being other coaches see how some of our dumb a-- fans (but expert basketball couch coaches) treat our current H O F coach.

• Haha
Reactions: Montana81
It's a good point.

Said it before.. but why can't we buy out Cals contract and hire a young, upstart coach for $2mil. Take any of top mid major coaches.. they would take $2mil in a heart beat, and a chance to prove themselves, even if they know there's a strong chance they can't make it work, because they know that after being at UK for 2-3 years, they can go to any non p5 school after that.

And if that coach turns out to be one the next great coaches.. we likely just found our next coach for 20 to 30 years.. instead of a guy like Bruce Pearl who will have a heart attack mid game.

I don't see why this wasn't explored. Worst case scenario, you fire this guy after 2 years, but you paid him next to nothing and you can hire whoever you want then.

Jon Scheyer is 36 years old, has 0 accomplishments and makes 7-8 mil. Keattes makes 3. Are you still asking yourself things?

Is this the randomly pull any vomit that pops into your head?

Bc he's literally never won anything in 18 years until today..

He wouldn't be paid 3.8 at UK either bc he would've already been fired after year 3. Let me know where you're confused on this. Are you saying you wouldn't be whining when Painter lost as a 1 seed to a 16? What's SDSU's head coach paid? He made a title game last year...Painter hasnt...why is Painter paid 3.8? Why us SDSU coach paid less than Bruce Pearl who makes over 5 million...Pearl's never Been to a title game and lost to yale. See how dumb this game is

I keep asking, while we know everyone is angry...they think it's a rational thought to type any remedial nonsense that pops in their head.

"Why is guy who's been to 6 final fours and a 75% win percentage getting paid more than a guy who's just now getting to his 1st in 20 years with a 60 some percent win percentage"

Its a mystery

.683 winning %
4 Sweet Sixteens in last 6 tournaments (according to Purdue website)

My comment was more about the NEXT coach's salary, not Cal's. Of course, Cal deserved to be highly paid with the run he had UK on coming out of the gate. That's not what the OP was about. It was why we feel his replacement has to be some highly paid, super star coach. Are they the only ones who would excel at UK? Undoubtedly, there are many college coaches who would thrive at UK (at least to the level Cal has over his 14 years) and who are much superior to Cal in coaching Xs and Os. As we've seen in CFB (Jimbo Fisher, an obvious example), just because a coach commands a high salary does not make him good or successful.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT