ADVERTISEMENT

UCONN

They were a bubble team? 99 was a 1, 2004 was a 2, 2011 they were a 3, 2014 a 7 and 2023 a 4 seed.
In 2011, they were 9-9 and were in NINTH place in the Big East. Basically needed to win the Big East tournament to get in. So, yes, they were a bubble team before going on a run in their conference tournament. I remember it very well. Thanks, though.

In 2011, they were 9-9 and were in NINTH place in the Big East. Basically needed to win the Big East tournament to get in. So, yes, they were a bubble team before going on a run in their conference tournament. I remember it very well. Thanks, though.
It doesn’t matter how you start, it matters how you finish. Bubble team and still won a title

They would have made it anyways. Agree to disagree. You don't go from being out to a 3 seed.

This should put the debate to rest though, we need to offer Hurley a contract he really has to think about to coach here. I know he has little reason to leave but we need to make a massive offer.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood2.0
Well I'm talking actual national title games.

'97 Arizona
'14 UConn

Assuming you are referring to Cal at Mempiss?

We lost those games above at the foul line... literally. Worst thing ever. We'd have 10 titles right now.
Yep. Cal lost that game to KU because of FTs.

If that had been me I'd have never lost another title that way.

2008 to KU
2014 to UConn
2018 to Auburn (and would've been a title)

Three damn games that gets you a title. SMDH

Hurley is a good guy and all class. Hard to root against total class and excellence. An amazing Coach. This UCONN team would have beaten UK by 25
Hurley is a fierce competitor. If you had to coach against him or play against him you wouldn’t think he was classy or a good guy. He was brought up in a family that demanded hard work and attention to detail. That guy is old school. I wish we had a guy like that.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Don’t worry, there will be some clown in 30 years dismissing what UConn is doing now. It’s a tale as old as time. All I know is that in my lifetime (45 years), UK has been as elite as anyone. So to question UKs blue blood status, you’re either 20 or so or a complete moron…maybe both!

This should put the debate to rest though, we need to offer Hurley a contract he really has to think about to coach here. I know he has little reason to leave but we need to make a massive offer.
Give Hurley Keeneland, the castle, at this point name Rupp arena after him

Don’t worry, there will be some clown in 30 years dismissing what UConn is doing now. It’s a tale as old as time. All I know is that in my lifetime (45 years), UK has been as elite as anyone. So to question UKs blue blood status, you’re either 20 or so or a complete moron…maybe both!
I never questioned Kentuckys blue blood status, but acting like they have been performing like a blue blood these last 5 seasons is laughable. Why has every other blue blood been better than us? Obviously it’s the coach

Reactions: Pmalone6719
Yeah. I bet they get on their knees every night and thank God they don't have to face Oakland.
What in the holy hell does that have to do with UConn’s path? This thread is titled UConn.

6 championships in 25 years with 3 different coaches is insane. It’s doesn’t matter if they are a blueblood or not. That’s an Elite basketball program

I never questioned Kentuckys blue blood status, but acting like they have been performing like a blue blood these last 5 seasons is laughable. Why has every other blue blood been better than us? Obviously it’s the coach
No shit it’s the coach! Are you new here? Cal is washed and is burying this program with his BS!

No shit it’s the coach! Are you new here? Cal is washed and is burying this program with his BS!
No im not new here but why do we act like Kentucky has been living up to their blue blood status these last 5 seasons? Because they obviously haven’t.

He’s obviously young and has zero clue! Cutting and pasting Jack Pilgrims post acting like he’s an insider lol
So I’m considered young because I’m stating facts? Idk why everyone is so pressed about this. Okay UCONN is not a blue blood but they have been better than Kentucky since 1999. There is that better?

So I’m considered young because I’m stating facts? Idk why everyone is so pressed about this. Okay UCONN is not a blue blood but they have been better than Kentucky since 1999. There is that better?
I think Pilgrim just posted on KSR! Hurry up and go copy it for us🙄

Reactions: flacat22
A blueblood with 0 titles before the 90s? Ok, sure. But yeah, they're the best program since 2000 for sure.

They’ve accomplished more since 1999 than most programs have in 60-70+ years.

After they win their 6th title next week, they’ll be 2 away from catching us.

And at this rate, they will definitely catch us.

As much as it pains me to say, they are the actual gold standard. And at some point, you can’t use titles from the World War 2 era to argue against that.

We have 1 damn title in the same span they’ve won 6. We need to step it up. There’s no reason we can’t. But Cal has us by the sack right now.

Because it's not just about titles. The traditional five blue bloods are UK, KU, Duke, UNC, and UCLA. Those five are all top five in both all time wins and winning percentage. UConn is like 20th and 12th respectively. They just don't have the total body of work to be a blue blood.

The term “blue blood” doesn’t mean as much as it did anymore. UCLA hasn’t been relevant any forever but still a blue blood?

Yes we’re a blue blood but how much good has it done us lately?

What I mean is we brag and prop up this term “blue blood” and yes it’s cool and amazing to talk about titles from 50-80 years ago but… what is it doing for us now?

I will always love that we can call ourselves a blue blood but UConn seems to be the real Gold Standard now. I’d rather be known as the “Gold Standard” now in 2024 than say… a blue blood like ucla.

They definitely had luck in the past. But a 30-0 run ain’t luck. They’re the gold standard now. I hate it but it’s true.

So it’s a requirement to be elite after the internet?! Lmfao okay.
What's the requirement pre internet to be considered elite?

There's historic...you can be a historic program and reminisce about what you did before cell phones. Maybe even "traditional" is appropriate. That's fine.

IU is a HISTORICally good program with basketball TRADITION. If you want to be in the same category as them, by all means get together with all the other folks who don't want to acknowledge what currently is and let us know how it goes.

Is UCLA elite, blue blooded? I would argue no in modern times. They have history, tradition, and dominated a decade 40-50 years ago but really haven't done much since, especially in the last 10-15ish years.

I mean UGA has two football titles prior to Kirby, one in the 40s and one in the 80s. One more than UK...go on to their football board and enlighten them as to what elite is and get back to us on how it goes.

A blueblood with 0 titles before the 90s? Ok, sure. But yeah, they're the best program since 2000 for sure.
Yes. They have FIVE titles and on the verge of 6. I mean, they could overtake DUKE this year in terms of titles. And tie with UNC. Hell, it could be argued they're better than freaking KU.

Duke is a blue blood and didn't get their first title until 1991. Granted they had a few FFs and Natl Runner Ups before that but no title until the Rat King showed up.

UConn IS the gold standard right now. Hell, they own college basketball on all sides, men and women's.

And it pisses me off to no end.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT