ADVERTISEMENT

Two Things Can Be True At Once

thedahc

Freshman
Aug 3, 2006
Like the title says, two things can be true at once. The loss to UNCW was a bad one. But this is still a really good team.

Although the floor may be low (UNCW & probably one or two more head-scratchers this year), this team has a much higher ceiling than teams from the past few years. Much higher.

And clearly the doom and gloomers will say "yeah, but Cal is still the coach so.....".

Well guess what, he will be the coach this entire season. If you let that steal your joy and steal the joy of watching these incredibly talented young guys play ball then that is on you.

Be salty if you want, but there are so many positives and I want to live my life focusing on positives and things I can control:

-Reed Sheppard is a revelation and for those of you who were born and raised in Kentucky a truly generational talent for a homegrown kid and you should revel in it. We should all enjoy every last second of his time here. His dad was one of my favorites as a child and now my daughter is the same age I was when Jeff played at UK and she is a big fan of Reed. It's fun.

-DJ Wagner is a special talent. A quiet kid and by all accounts GREAT teammate. He also seems to enjoy the challenge of the defensive side of the ball. Right before his injury he was reaching his potential, he will be back and will be a joy to watch.

-Dillingham is just electric anytime he has the ball, good or bad you can't take your eyes off of him.

-Bradshaw. Completely lost and unsure in his first game but why wouldn't he be. He will be fine, and I was told would never step on the court at UK, so anything from him is icing on the cake, right?

-Antonio Reeves. This is my favorite player from the last two seasons, love this kid and his offensive gifts. Probably being taken for granted the historical things he is doing from 3pt range in his time here. Also is much improved on both ends of the court from last year.

-Adou is just grit and explosiveness. Will have a wow play or two every game and will do the tough things a team needs

-Justin Edwards. A lot of you have given up on this kid. I wish people would get behind people who are struggling rather than pile on, but such is life. His time is coming.

-Tre Mitchell. The glue that holds it all together. Kid understands and plays basketball at a high level and truly appreciates being at UK.

-Jordan Burks. Was a high-volume ball dominant scorer in his prep career and has accepted a different role here and plays wherever the team needs him. Love his commitment to the team

Can't wait for the next game that I get to watch with my girls.

Just win. And if you're going to lose, that's fine, but lose with heart and lose playing the way you played all year.

If we had played like played at KU or against Miami, and got beat that's one thing. We beat ourselves, and that's just not Kentucky Basketball. And we've just seen waaaaaaay too much of that in the past 3 years for sure.

I respect the post. Be ready for the haters.

I think the UNCW game was a bad loss. No getting around that fact. But I also think it highlights the need for DJ Wagner on the floor, no matter what some posters will try to argue. He isn't without flaws, but that applies for everyone on the team. We need DJ to be our best, and we need time to implement these bigs into the system

I also think we need less of Justin Edwards, especially when DJ returns. Edwards just needs more time to develop, apparently. Not everyone hits the ground running - like Reed has. So with Bradshaw and DJ back together, I think Edwards should see less time.

I wish I could be as optimistic as you but historically, really good teams that are good enough to win the title, don't lose at home to a mid major.
Precisely this, and especially given they lost EXACTLY the same way Cal teams tend to lose in the tournament, but "reverting" to playing the way Cal's teams play.

I also think we need less of Justin Edwards, especially when DJ returns. Edwards just needs more time to develop, apparently. Not everyone hits the ground running - like Reed has. So with Bradshaw and DJ back together, I think Edwards should see less time.
The problem is you can think that all you want (and I agree with you), but Cal isn't going to do that. Even if Cal thinks the team would be better if he did that, he isn't going to do that. And that is exactly the problem with all of this.

Good post and spot on about each of the players. Don’t think anyone here has given up on Edwards however as we all would like him to become the player he was hyped to be. That being said he needs to be reigned in somewhat by cal until that time comes. Taking bad threes against UNCW did us no favors. Think most on this board have commented on how fun this team is to watch but you touched on the elephant in the room in the post with cal still being the coach. No matter the talent we have, he is still walking the sidelines and can ruin things in a heartbeat. We have so little margin of error as a result as cal cannot or will not do what is necessary to win when push comes to shove. Not stealing my joy but that is just reality.

Like the title says, two things can be true at once.

There's a famous quote. (Well, not really famous) "The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. The opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth."

Calipari's teams can be as exciting as basketball gets. His teams can also be boring as Uncle Colm.

"Colm, this is no day for a do."

It was a super deflating loss for BBN. I also think this team can still be good, but that loss was a seed killer; because like you said we’ll have a couple more bad losses- probably on the road.

The timing of it sucked. Right off a top 10 win that put UK back in the spotlight, and then lose to a mid major and have to wait a full week for another game.

Hopefully we can crush Penn by 20+ or this place going be terrible leading up to the unc game.

Reactions: westerncat
UNC-W was a clunker of a game, UK seemed unprepared and uninspired. The team got exposed in certain areas. Sheppard tried to force things too much but no one else was getting anything done so what choice did he have?

Bradshaw didn't look like a game changer and was timid around the basket

St Joes could have been the same type of game except our shots went in instead of clanking off the rim. We need Wagner to be able to play

Rebounding is going to be a problem for this team all year. Bradshaw isn't going to fix that. If one or both of the other 7 footers play maybe they will help

Cal is still Cal and will do and say enough off the wall stuff to keep the team and the fans off kilter for the entire year.

Last edited:
It was a super deflating loss for BBN. I also think this team can still be good, but that loss was a seed killer; because like you said we’ll have a couple more bad losses- probably on the road.

The timing of it sucked. Right off a top 10 win that put UK back in the spotlight, and then lose to a mid major and have to wait a full week for another game.

Hopefully we can crush Penn by 20+ or this place going be terrible leading up to the unc game.
It's weird how you seem more concerned about the reaction of people on this forum than you do the thought of actually losing back to back against UNC Whatever and Penn.

It's weird how you seem more concerned about the reaction of people on this forum than you do the thought of actually losing back to back against UNC Whatever and Penn.
If that’s what you got out of it, okay..

Reactions: CatsFanIL
Just win. And if you're going to lose, that's fine, but lose with heart and lose playing the way you played all year.

If we had played like played at KU or against Miami, and got beat that's one thing. We beat ourselves, and that's just not Kentucky Basketball. And we've just seen waaaaaaay too much of that in the past 3 years for sure.

This. Just win. The fact that the OP had to make as long of a post as he did just speaks to how UK is not meeting expectations. The less you win, the more you have to talk.

I don’t want to hear Cal talk. I don’t want to hear the players talk. This is Kentucky. You were brought here to win.

The last 3 seasons have been miserable. The 3 before that were very ho-hum. Even in years where we’ve had superior talent (or a high ceiling as the OP put it) Cal chokes. 2010, 2014, 2015, 2017 and 2019 are all glaring examples. So forgive me if I don’t share your optimism. Last weekend was a game Kentucky should never lose. Ever. It does not bode well at all for this team’s chances.

good post and a lot of the points you made are good and I can see them happening. My issue is championship level teams don’t lose at home to teams like that, and Kentucky defense is bad and far away from being a good team. The potential can win out and they can be good, I hope they reach it

Respectfully, worrying about whether or not something is going to steal my joy is a beta move. Cal has bad tendencies that will make him tank this season if he doesn’t overcome them. I hope he overcomes them. It’s got nothing to do with my joy either way.

It was a bad loss, one of the worst losses of the Cal era - and that's saying a lot. The problem with the UNCW loss? It confirmed that no matter what - we will never be safe with Cal coaching this team.

Cal is always in balance, ALWAYS. A great win and goodwill will always be balanced with something terrible with Cal - and when he fails he fails BIG. He follows pride with humiliation, contentment with disgust. With Cal - we will always be waiting and cringing for the other shoe to drop, no matter how good the present seems.

THAT is why this UNCW loss is so bad for our program.

I have not given up on this team yet but that last game got a lot of fans down on this team. I think we will bounce back Sat. big time. I am not sold on Bradshaw just yet ( I know it was his 1st game) but he has to show me that he is a top ten player.

Respectfully, worrying about whether or not something is going to steal my joy is a beta move. Cal has bad tendencies that will make him tank this season if he doesn’t overcome them. I hope he overcomes them. It’s got nothing to do with my joy either way.
Thinking/waiting/hoping Cal will change his approach is disappointment waiting to happen.

If Edwards doesn’t improve yet is still clocking 30+ min per game by January, this season in over. Sad because it doesn’t have to be this way, but we’ve been down this road before

The really sad part is you have a monster in Adou Thiero riding the pine. Playing Edwards ahead of Thiero — especially as much as this team struggles to rebound — is a huge mistake.

This. Just win. The fact that the OP had to make as long of a post as he did just speaks to how UK is not meeting expectations. The less you win, the more you have to talk.

I don’t want to hear Cal talk. I don’t want to hear the players talk. This is Kentucky. You were brought here to win.

The last 3 seasons have been miserable. The 3 before that were very ho-hum. Even in years where we’ve had superior talent (or a high ceiling as the OP put it) Cal chokes. 2010, 2014, 2015, 2017 and 2019 are all glaring examples. So forgive me if I don’t share your optimism. Last weekend was a game Kentucky should never lose. Ever. It does not bode well at all for this team’s chances.
Excellent post!

• Love
Reactions: kywildcat41086
The really sad part is you have a monster in Adou Thiero riding the pine. Playing Edwards ahead of Thiero — especially as much as this team struggles to rebound — is a huge mistake.
Looking at the stats Edwards is averaging 27 minutes and Adou 26 so both are playing but Bradshaw might change that.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Shut up Bennie! You dare question a HOF coach??? The Baron of the Bluegrass?? Justin Edwards is a 7 star stud, some guy who who went to EYBL said so in his podcast. Don’t believe your lying eyes!

That said, I truly hope Edwards lives up to his hype for his own sake-I’m sure it’s tough when there’s this much pressure and expectations. Then again, he’s getting more money and adoration to play basketball for 1 year than most of us do in our entire careers, so he can suck it up if he needs to ride the pine (which likely wont’t happen with Cal at the helm)

Thiero’s improvement from year 1 to 2 has been great to see.

I said in another thread that Edwards doesn’t look like a high level ond. One of those players who got a lot of hype in hs, but would probably benefit greatly from 2 years in college.

Thiero’s improvement from year 1 to 2 has been great to see.

I said in another thread that Edwards doesn’t look like a high level ond. One of those players who got a lot of hype in hs, but would probably benefit greatly from 2 years in college.
Agreed. Right now he’s joining the list of past guys who could’ve been…Skal, EJ, etc

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Shut up Bennie! You dare question a HOF coach??? The Baron of the Bluegrass?? Justin Edwards is a 7 star stud, some guy who who went to EYBL said so in his podcast. Don’t believe your lying eyes!

That said, I truly hope Edwards lives up to his hype for his own sake-I’m sure it’s tough when there’s this much pressure and expectations. Then again, he’s getting more money and adoration to play basketball for 1 year than most of us do in our entire careers, so he can suck it up if he needs to ride the pine (which likely wont’t happen with Cal at the helm)

I actually like Edwards… his talent is undeniable. But his decision making to this point leaves a lot to be desired. This team needs leadership. So far I feel like Adou, Reed and DJ are the leaders. Other players talk (like Mitchell and to a lesser extent Reeves) but those 3 guys I mentioned lead by example. I’ve said it before… Edwards’ demeanor reminds me of Poythress. Just too lackadaisical considering the gifts he’s been blessed with. Adou plays with a chip on his shoulder. Until Edwards starts doing that, he should see about half the minutes he currently is, IMO.

I never understand why the handful of people who complain about people complaining always want to tell us we must be miserable because we complain.

I think it's more of a sign that you're miserable if you complain about complainers.

I always enjoy watching the players. I just feel sorry for them that they are stuck with an inadequate coach.

Like the title says, two things can be true at once. The loss to UNCW was a bad one. But this is still a really good team.

Although the floor may be low (UNCW & probably one or two more head-scratchers this year), this team has a much higher ceiling than teams from the past few years. Much higher.

And clearly the doom and gloomers will say "yeah, but Cal is still the coach so.....".

Well guess what, he will be the coach this entire season. If you let that steal your joy and steal the joy of watching these incredibly talented young guys play ball then that is on you.

Be salty if you want, but there are so many positives and I want to live my life focusing on positives and things I can control:

-Reed Sheppard is a revelation and for those of you who were born and raised in Kentucky a truly generational talent for a homegrown kid and you should revel in it. We should all enjoy every last second of his time here. His dad was one of my favorites as a child and now my daughter is the same age I was when Jeff played at UK and she is a big fan of Reed. It's fun.

-DJ Wagner is a special talent. A quiet kid and by all accounts GREAT teammate. He also seems to enjoy the challenge of the defensive side of the ball. Right before his injury he was reaching his potential, he will be back and will be a joy to watch.

-Dillingham is just electric anytime he has the ball, good or bad you can't take your eyes off of him.

-Bradshaw. Completely lost and unsure in his first game but why wouldn't he be. He will be fine, and I was told would never step on the court at UK, so anything from him is icing on the cake, right?

-Antonio Reeves. This is my favorite player from the last two seasons, love this kid and his offensive gifts. Probably being taken for granted the historical things he is doing from 3pt range in his time here. Also is much improved on both ends of the court from last year.

-Adou is just grit and explosiveness. Will have a wow play or two every game and will do the tough things a team needs

-Justin Edwards. A lot of you have given up on this kid. I wish people would get behind people who are struggling rather than pile on, but such is life. His time is coming.

-Tre Mitchell. The glue that holds it all together. Kid understands and plays basketball at a high level and truly appreciates being at UK.

-Jordan Burks. Was a high-volume ball dominant scorer in his prep career and has accepted a different role here and plays wherever the team needs him. Love his commitment to the team

Can't wait for the next game that I get to watch with my girls.
Will you still be pumping the sunshine after they lose in the 2nd round of the NCAAT? Or has the bar been set so low that we can just cut the nets down anyway?

Reactions: chroix
good post and a lot of the points you made are good and I can see them happening. My issue is championship level teams don’t lose at home to teams like that, and Kentucky defense is bad and far away from being a good team. The potential can win out and they can be good, I hope they reach it
Agree. Fully healthy championship teams and those with their complete rosters don’t lose those games. UK should have won that game even without DJ and it being Bradshaw’s first game, but I will withhold judgement on the potential of this team until I see them at full strength.

It was a bad game all around. But it’s the same team even if we had won.

Cal had a bad game as coach. He will be great Sat.

I’m riddin with Cal!!👍

I really don't understand the gnashing of teeth after the UNCW loss. Yeah, it was a bad loss. But, this is a really talented team and a helluva lot of fun to watch...unlike some reasons editions of the Big Blue. We lost because ..1) True Freshman Dilly and Edwards shot a combined 5-23 and 0-7 from three. 2) We didn't have a key cog in DJ. 3) Cal should've reined in both those guys given how they were playing. 4) UNCW played over their heads. 5) An uncharacteristic high number of turnovers.

We're a high variance team...high ceiling and a low floor. We have some guys with upside vs. how they've played so far. It should be a fun ride.

Will you still be pumping the sunshine after they lose in the 2nd round of the NCAAT? Or has the bar been set so low that we can just cut the nets down anyway?
I try to be optimistic. I won't apologize for that. Honestly, sunshine pumper doesn't even seem like an insult to me. So.....

Reactions: Sejonesy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT