ADVERTISEMENT

Twilight Zone

liveblue92

Junior
Jan 23, 2011
Bowling Green via Morganfield
Does anyone else feel like we are living in the twilight zone since the loss and confirmation that Cal is gonna be back next year?

Fans blaming a radio show for the team sucking, bragging about players in the McDonalds AA game, Fans still being Cal apologists even after the loss, discussing which portal targets we should get, as if that matters.

Is our fan base truly this delusional?

Does anyone else feel like we are living in the twilight zone since the loss and confirmation that Cal is gonna be back next year?

Fans blaming a radio show for the team sucking, bragging about players in the McDonalds AA game, Fans still being Cal apologists even after the loss, discussing which portal targets we should get, as if that matters.

Started for me 4 years ago....and here we are....still.

It’s a weird time for BBN. I really don’t know anyone who is excited that we have another season of Cal. But there’s only so many ways to say “Cal sucks” before it becomes tedious, so I don’t blame people looking at other things to discuss- like McDs or the portal.

Fans of a program are going to follow that program. Most will get their hopes up again in spite of the doubt about the coach. I don't think it makes people delusional. What's more delusional, following your team or starting thread after about wanting Cal gone, knowing that he is staying. Talk about something that doesn't matter.

Reactions: YouKay and BBNinSC
It’s a weird time for BBN. I really don’t know anyone who is excited that we have another season of Cal. But there’s only so many ways to say “Cal sucks” before it becomes tedious, so I don’t blame people looking at other things to discuss- like McDs or the portal.
I don't think it's crazy to believe that there are manipulated people (family, friends or paid) posting on behalf of Cal here constantly.

I know that sort of thing WOULD seem crazy under more normal circumstances. But at this point, no one in their right mind could possibly believe Calipari is the solution. So anyone battling (especially if doing so feverishly? wtf?) must have secret motives.

People are just trying to make the best of it. Why are you on this message board if all you want to do is talk about how awful everything is all the time?

I don't think it's crazy to believe that there are manipulated people (family, friends or paid) posting on behalf of Cal here constantly.

I know that sort of thing WOULD seem crazy under more normal circumstances. But at this point, no one in their right mind could possibly believe Calipari is the solution. So anyone battling (especially if doing so feverishly? wtf?) must have secret motives.
I have seen a lot of names I’ve never seen pop up after the Oakland lost. This board has always been trolled, so it might just be one person behind them all lol. There will always be a group of fans who never question the coach, when Cal leaves they’ll be the same with the next guy. Then there are people who just like to go against the grain and argue.

But yeah, I would question any fan who feels excitement with Cal being at the helm again.

Just look at it this way (and it's depressing, I know). If Duke, UNC, UConn, any other school we hated were keeping a dude like Cal in spite of this kind of track record for THIS long? We'd be laughing and ripping on it!

WAKE UP!!!!!
Vol fans are in every twitter thread celebrating Cal still being the coach.

What is going on at UK I have seen happen repeatedly in business and government. A few people entrenched in power make decisions based almost solely on self interest with little or no regard for the thoughts or wishes of the less powerful or the long term health of the organization. Most businesses run this way eventually fail. and one can draw their own conclusions about the efficacy of our government. What motivates rich powerful people,usually money and ego. UK basketball is making money even for the last 4 years. As for ego my goodness, can't get much bigger than the folks running our basketball program. Until we start losing money or sink so low that Barnhart or our president feel THIER jobs might be in jeopardy NOTHING will change. I have attended at least 3 UK games a year except for 4 years in the service since I was 20. At 65 I'm not attending another game till changes are made. Doesn't mean a thing to anyone but me.

People are just trying to make the best of it. Why are you on this message board if all you want to do is talk about how awful everything is all the time?
I think the anti Cal crowd like myself are simply talking reality . Not sure why some think we are negative people . Cal does not have the interest of our university or our fans at heart . He has turned our program into a development league for the NBA for his favored freshmen and can no longer win in the NCAA .
That is reality . Not negativity . After seeing the final four has 16 seniors starting and one freshman how can BBN get excited about seven freshmen coming in next year who are not as highly rated as the group that got beat this year by Oakland .
Deny the facts if you want . Ignorance is bliss .

The only reason I’m still somewhat engaged is because my sons are getting into sports and have developed a love of basketball. But I have no hope for next year or beyond. The goal is to win national championships and Calipari will never win another one. So get someone in here who can.

Just look at it this way (and it's depressing, I know). If Duke, UNC, UConn, any other school we hated were keeping a dude like Cal in spite of this kind of track record for THIS long? We'd be laughing and ripping on it!

WAKE UP!!!!!
There’s a certain poster who loves to rip on Kansas, but never dares to question Cal. He’ll bring up all of Cal’s accomplishments- which are impressive and then you realize they all happened a decade plus ago.

I know it’s bad when I have a unc and ul friend ask me why UK is keeping Cal, all I can do is shrug and say I have no idea.

What are your thoughts on Cal today?
Same boat so I will offer an answer as well. If cal had walked away 4 years ago I would have had a great recollection of his time as coach. Started off great, last few years not what we wanted but still an incredible ride. Now it’s resentment and the first few years he was here are pretty much forgotten. Would have been sad seeing him go then but knowing it was for the best, now it’s sad seeing him on the sideline in a depressing pisses me off kind of way and the day he leaves will be the happiest of them all. I’ll be happier than watching BG run down the hallway. Cals at the bottom of head coaches, at least tied with Sutton and BG.

Same boat so I will offer an answer as well. If cal had walked away 4 years ago I would have had a great recollection of his time as coach. Started off great, last few years not what we wanted but still an incredible ride. Now it’s resentment and the first few years he was here are pretty much forgotten. Would have been sad seeing him go then but knowing it was for the best, now it’s sad seeing him on the sideline in a depressing pisses me off kind of way and the day he leaves will be the happiest of them all. I’ll be happier than watching BG run down the hallway. Cals at the bottom of head coaches, at least tied with Sutton and BG.
That's the thing. 2013-2019 were all disappointing seasons in different ways (only exceptions 2014 postseason, 2015 regular season, most of 2017, all of the rest) but at least there was some hope and energy. 2020 was what it was. But it's been a trainwreck ever since COVID, Cal is toast and in denial, and there is simply no defending it.

The Twilight Zone (which was a great series) relies on the supernatural to explain itself.

This feels more like an arranged marriage with a spouse who refuses to work and contribute to the family while bragging that s/he used to be somebody. Each 5 star and potential portal hero is just another job prospect for this "spouse" that never materializes.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
I think the anti Cal crowd like myself are simply talking reality . Not sure why some think we are negative people . Cal does not have the interest of our university or our fans at heart . He has turned our program into a development league for the NBA for his favored freshmen and can no longer win in the NCAA .
That is reality . Not negativity . After seeing the final four has 16 seniors starting and one freshman how can BBN get excited about seven freshmen coming in next year who are not as highly rated as the group that got beat this year by Oakland .
My problem is not with Anti Cal posters. It's with jackass posters. Not all anti cal people are jackasses. But 99% of jackasses are anti cal. And they won't shut up. Start a thread about Final 4, Caitlin Clark, our baseball team, whatever. The jackasses have to come in and start moaning about Cal.

Reactions: YouKay and davtay
Like going thru a divorce , to a SO that you spent 5 decades with in my case . Painful . And yes a bit dramatic and emotional . That’s why I hate Cal like most people loathe their Ex”s .

Reactions: kywildcat41086

I don’t think anyone is delusional.

Some people have accepted Cal is returning and there’s nothing we can do about it, so they’re choosing to look forward.

Others have chosen to redundantly bitch about Cal to the point that apparently the board police won’t allow any other topics to be discussed but Cal.

I’m in the first camp because complaining about something I can’t control is a waste of time, emotion and energy. I want a coaching change too, but after repeating it 50 times in the last two weeks, it seems redundant to do that in every thread.

• Love
Reactions: davtay and BBNinSC

YES!!!! I mentioned this in a recent post. I still have not come to grips with the demise of Kentucky basketball. As a Christian, I cannot hate our 'coach' but I wish that fraud would do the right thing and GO AWAY!

Why are you on this message board if all you want to do is talk about how awful everything is all the time?
If you really love something you get really pissed off when someone seriously messes it up. Some people are not ready to deal with that, but that’s a personal problem imo.

I think it’s perfectly reasonable to do what @WeWant9 is talking about and look for other ways, in all probability healthier ways, to spend our time. But to act like the people complaining are actually the problem: that’s messed up and imo that’s ultimately just emotional weakness.

You’re right, it’s a crazy and delusional belief

There is nothing wrong with your set.
You won't understand this unless you're old enough to remember another sci-fi show called Outer Limits.

If you really love something you get really pissed off when someone seriously messes it up. Some people are not ready to deal with that, but that’s a personal problem imo.

I think it’s perfectly reasonable to do what @WeWant9 is talking about and look for other ways, in all probability healthier ways, to spend our time. But to act like the people complaining are actually the problem: that’s messed up and imo that’s ultimately just emotional weakness.
Where did I say that? He’s complaining that people are looking for things to be positive about. Emotional weakness is the inability to say something is messed up but not being able to see any positive in it. In short, you’re miserable. If that’s what you want fine. I want him gone too but I’m still going to get excited for the players and still going to enjoy UK basketball in spite of him. If you can’t handle that you’re a child.

Show me where I said any of the things you’re saying I said. I’m not going to stop being a fan because of Cal. I’m going to cheer for the kids and I’m going to get excited about them. You can choose to be miserable all summer and all next season if you want but that’s a choice. I wanted Cal gone this year and anything short of a title, I’ll want him gone next year. That being said, I hope it happens and I’m going to cheer for it to happen. The original poster is complaining about anyone who’s trying to fine the positive in a bad situation.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I think most of the fans on this board right now are just trying to deal with the hand they have been dealt.

We cannot do anything about this situation, so we just get by talking about lineups and possibilities hoping that something positive comes out of all this.

What is the use in moping around crying about another year with Cal? It accomplishes nothing.

So I am just doing the only thing I know to do, getting on this board and discussing possibilities for next year’s roster.

What else am I suppose to do in the offseason?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT