ADVERTISEMENT

Trilly update on Lanier visit

Who were the big ones that he could have gotten, but failed?
Johnell Davis, Kadary Richmond, Great Osobor, Javon Small, Jeremy Roach, Jonas Aidoo, Aidan Mahaney, Liam McNeeley, and now it looks like Chaz Lanier too. We wanted all of these kids, but would say some more than others obviously. We were in contact and trying to schedule visits with all of these kids. We even got a few of them on campus.

A player I would love Pope to get involved with IF he returns to school is Hunter Salais. Kid can ball and will only be better. SOME thing he returns. Kid is 6-5 about the same as Robinson.
18 ppg, / 4 reb. / 2.5 assist, 1.1 steals. Shot 48% on 2FG's and 41% on 3 FG's. We already signed 1 player from Wake forest, maybe Carr could get in his ear. probably not a chance, but you never know.
I don't think he ever went in the portal so that option is closed but agree the kid is a stud.

Johnell Davis, Kadary Richmond, Great Osobor, Javon Small, Jeremy Roach, Jonas Aidoo, Aidan Mahaney, Liam McNeeley, and now it looks like Chaz Lanier too. We wanted all of these kids, but would say some more than others obviously. We were in contact and trying to schedule visits with all of these kids. We even got a few of them on campus.
Richmond, aidoo, Davis, mckneely aren’t misses. They never went hard after them. That’s not fair to pope on those. Roach committed to damn quick it’s hard to tell if that’s a miss or not. Small isn’t a miss he never even took a visit here. Osobor, Mahaney and Lanier are misses I will agree with those 3

Reactions: Fox2monk
What happens if he chooses UK? LOL! Want, don't want, Want, don't want, Want, don't want, Want, don't want, Want, don't want, Want, don't want, Want, don't want, Want, don't want!
Lol exactly.
Richmond, aidoo, Davis, mckneely aren’t misses. They never went hard after them. That’s not fair to pope on those. Roach committed to damn quick it’s hard to tell if that’s a miss or not. Small isn’t a miss he never even took a visit here. Osobor, Mahaney and Lanier are misses I will agree with those 3
Is a 2½ hour Zoom meeting trying to get them on campus not going after someone hard?

We also tried hard to get Richmond on campus to visit also.

Some posters on here just seem like miserable people. I’m going to wait and see how things play out before criticizing our coaching staff for missing out on players from mid major programs that may or may not have similar impacts in the SEC, especially when no one knows what’s going on behind closed doors. Those that are already critical of Pope this early on need to take a good look in the mirror. Pope has said he’s happy with the makeup of this team so far and so am I. Sue me if I don’t get suicidal if this kid chooses UT.

Last edited:
Yes, I think we can all agree you're a clown. But again, we appreciate your honesty!
Come on, Leadbelly. Do better than that. Jesus man, a chihuahua could think of better retorts. You're Leadbelly! You're supposed to be a witty terror. Instead, you're an unimaginative simpleton, of late.

Davis, we never had a shot with, wanted too much $$. Richmond, same. Osobor, UK was never paying him what he wanted. Small, transcript issues. Aidoo, not a shooter, good defender, bully, we have a couple of those. McNeely, has never played a college game. Mahaney, meh, we have players as good / better than him. Roach, I give you that one, I thought we really had a chance with him. But to say we failed on them all without knowing the whole story is just making an uninformed statement. IF any of those guys really was interested (had UK as a top option), and the asking price wasn't way out of range, UK would have made a more serious run, even signed a couple of them. WE DON"T KNOW the story behind them.

Davis, we never had a shot with, wanted too much $$. Richmond, same. Osobor, UK was never paying him what he wanted. Small, transcript issues. Aidoo, not a shooter, good defender, bully, we have a couple of those. McNeely, has never played a college game. Mahaney, meh, we have players as good / better than him. Roach, I give you that one, I thought we really had a chance with him. But to say we failed on them all without knowing the whole story is just making an uninformed statement. IF any of those guys really was interested (had UK as a top option), and the asking price wasn't way out of range, UK would have made a more serious run, even signed a couple of them. WE DON"T KNOW the story behind them.
So UK hasn't missed on anyone? That's quite a take.

I don't know who has sources and who just repeats what others say. Who are the guys you all trust? Granted, no one is 100% all the time. Things change.

Osobor was NOT a miss. UK was NEVER going to pay him anywhere near 2 million. If we end up with Robinson, was Lanier really a miss ? Mahaney, we have players of his ilk. Roach is the only one I thought we had a good shot with and didn't land.

If you claim that we don't know the story behind these, then why are you claiming that you know and none of them were whiffs? That's kinda contradictory.

Reactions: JASUN74
DWAI ... Thanks for pointing out that Richmond, Aidoo, Davis, and McNeely aren’t misses, and that it's unfair to Coach Pope to suggest that they were. Also ... I don't think Osobor ever had any intention of going anywhere other than Washington to stay with his former coach of the last four seasons !
But, whatever ... Go 'Cats ! ! !

Liam McNeeley
Please tell me you are not criticizing zoom time on a recruit that does not come as wasting time? If so then EVERY coach wastes a bunch of time. This week I'll bet pope and his other coaches are texting/zooming a dozen or more recruits. 🤡

Osobor was NOT a miss. UK was NEVER going to pay him anywhere near 2 million. If we end up with Robinson, was Lanier really a miss ? Mahaney, we have players of his ilk. roach is the only one I thought we had a good shot with and didn't land.
Yes Lanier would still be a miss even if we land Robinson.

Reactions: W1LDCAT22
Please tell me you are not criticizing zoom time on a recruit that does not come as wasting time? If so then EVERY coach wastes a bunch of time. This week I'll bet pope and his other coaches are texting/zooming a dozen or more recruits. 🤡
We really wanted McNeeley, period.

Krissa, Butler, Brea, Olweh, Chandler and Perry are six guards that can play the one or two as a whole. Can go with Olweh, Brea, Chandler and Noah at the 3. Carr and Almonor at the 4. And Williams and Garrison at the 5. Could go small ball with Carr, Olweh, Brea, Krissa and Chandler for offense.

Robinson needs to expand his game rebounding and passing. He would help us with scoring and knowing the system. Could play the two or three. Pretty crowded roster that is a good mixture of veterans and young players. If we don't get Robinson you can see we are basically 2 deep in experience and quality. To me the roster would be fine just adding a couple of young guys with a high ceiling.

Yes Lanier would still be a miss even if we land Robinson.
Nope. he is the better player of the two and we where never getting both. Also to your other quote of me, I said we missed a couple, BUT we do not know the whole story of WHY or in a couple of the cases, IF we even missed on them. Osobor was NEVER getting 2 million from UK or any other school with a brain.

I don't know who has sources and who just repeats what others say. Who are the guys you all trust? Granted, no one is 100% all the time. Things change.
Norlander, Goodman, are probably the most connected to this staff at the moment but Pilgrim and Sisk have good info also.

Nope. he is the better player of the two and we where never getting both. Also to your other quote of me, I said we missed a couple, BUT we do not know the whole story of WHY or in a couple of the cases, IF we even missed on them. Osobor was NEVER getting 2 million from UK or any other school with a brain.
What if Osobor goes on to be an All-American next year and really improves Washington's team, would it still not be a miss?

We really wanted McNeeley, period.
BUT if he didn't want UK, how is that a miss ? He was a UCONN heavy lean the whole time. Portal recruiting is totally different from high school recruiting. If the player was NEVER interesting in even visiting, you can't call it a miss. You call it "they had other schools THEY liked better for their needs." Can't miss on something you never had a chance to get. I guess if you listed 10 super models you want to meet and ask out, if none of them gives you the time of day, are they misses to ?

Come on, Leadbelly. Do better than that. Jesus man, a chihuahua could think of better retorts. You're Leadbelly! You're supposed to be a witty terror. Instead, you're an unimaginative simpleton, of late.
You seem to know a lot about Leadbelly for someone who joined in the last couple of weeks.

BUT if he didn't want UK, how is that a miss ? He was a UCONN heavy lean the whole time. Portal recruiting is totally different from high school recruiting. If the player was NEVER interesting in even visiting, you can't call it a miss. You call it "they had other schools THEY liked better for their needs." Can't miss on something you never had a chance to get. I guess if you listed 10 super models you want to meet and ask out, if none of them gives you the time of day, are they misses to ?
Fair enough, but doesn't correlate with our situations. Per reports, all of them were in fact interested in Kentucky.

Reactions: bookerfan66
Some of you view the word "fail" as if it were a death sentence. We all fail far more than we succeed.

There's a great movie from around 30 years ago: Cold Comfort Farm. Near the end a movie producer debates taking the mother of his new discovery along with them to Hollywood. "She's gloomy or I'd take her with us."

MV5BMTM0MDU4NDY3MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMDgwMzY3._V1_.jpg

Some of you all are just gloomy. I just wish you could be funny about it, too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT